Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #156 (Read 31 times)

onemile

Indeed. Though that workout seems so foreign to me, I have no clue how long I could keep it up.

I think even 6 miles worth would be plenty hard...

DavePNW

Incidentally - throughout most of yesterday’s run, I had a feeling in my right calf like it was about to cramp up. Fortunately I managed to avoid it happening, and was able to complete the workout portion successfully. I has no indication of that issue in any runs prior, and there was nothing this morning. Weird.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Happy Anniversary Dave!

That sounds like an interesting workout. Let us know how it works out. I think I could do it for 3-4 rounds, but I'm not sure. OTOH, with the heat right now, it would probably be too much.

I ran 7.3.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Actually, that scenario makes things even harder, speaking from experience. I thought 1450 was a reasonable goal. January, ok. February, HAHAHAHA. March, still LOL and still on IR. Once April hit and everything cancelled, I was kind of done with IR. But I also wasn't at 28 mpw and didn't know how quickly I'd get back to there. Plus, every slight grumble of a tendon had me thinking I was getting the worst case side effects from the antibiotics. So I dropped my goal to 1250. I'm still behind that goal, but have been around the orginal 28 mpw. If there was a fall half (doubtful), I'll have to go over 30 mpw. Basically, if you have something come up early in the year, you're options are basically stay on IR indefinitely because you don't want to waste your one goal change or change your goal to participate.

For me both years I actually ran 500 and 600 more than I had initially planned thinking the surgery would put be back longer than it did.

ETA this year I should adjust and add 400 miles more but went with 200 in an abundance of caution. I wasn’t expecting this virus but neither running this much 3 months after getting my Vit D back to normal.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

No idea what would constitute a good argument for this. 

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

it would depend entirely on if you were doing 3 miles of it or 12 miles of it..or somewhere in between

I mean, it's supposed to be a long run, so there were 10 miles of it altogether. There is a shorter version with 400m (or 90 seconds) at 10K pace and 1.5 miles at MP for 3-5 miles. Maybe I ought to do that on a random weekday first...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

I mean, it's supposed to be a long run, so there were 10 miles of it altogether. There is a shorter version with 400m (or 90 seconds) at 10K pace and 1.5 miles at MP for 3-5 miles. Maybe I ought to do that on a random weekday first...

I could see 10-12 miles of it as a peak MRT workout but I would expect to have a couple smaller workouts building up to it... and also not randomly do it in the middle of non-MRT.

DavePNW

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I could see 10-12 miles of it as a peak MRT workout but I would expect to have a couple smaller workouts building up to it... and also not randomly do it in the middle of non-MRT.

This is the only way I ever do anything

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

I'm glad I didn't enter the team competition this year. I'm as steady as they come, but I don't like "having to" run anything, so like LRB I set my goal at maybe 80-90% of what I'll probably do, and then was all stressed out (ok, not that much) about the sandbagging, change of goal thing... Nope. I'd like a game in which it's just the more you run the better. Period.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

5.1 miles ran in a downpour... and psycho drivers racing down the streets as if it were the end of the world 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RunningOnSand

When we built our house, dh installed a doorbell that plays music instead of a door chime (we can upload files or choose from its database, I think). Naturally, we have it set to Star Wars music, and either it malfunctioned at 1am or someone decided to pay us a visit. So I awoke to it and haven’t been able to fall back asleep. 

I ran for 20 min today in the humidity. Yuck. I’m so not used to that. 

dave, happy anniversary!

blue, congrats on the PR!

FS, your poor son. That’s miserable. Hope you guys are able to help ease his discomfort. 
                          ginny, hows your hamstring?

re: miles game

im also glad I didn’t sign up this year, bc 1) I would have horribly disappointed myself and 2) I would have horribly disappointed my teammates. It’s been nice to be stress free in some regards.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Is it the Death March? That would be awesome.

Damaris

LRB

On a scale of 1-10, how idiotic would it be to do this for my LR this weekend?

1. Warm up for 10–20 minutes + strides 
                              2. 400–800 meters at 10k race-pace effort 
                              3. 1 mile at marathon-pace effort
                              4. Repeat steps 2-3 without a break until you complete the predetermined distance (3–12 miles depending on goals and fitness) 
                              5. Cool down for 15–20 minutes

I've run something like this but cannot find it for the life of me. For me, a having preset definition of the run helps mentally.

• The 400-800 reps are intervals and the 1 mile segments are recoveries

Or

• It's an MP run and the 400-800 reps are surges (although 800 meters is a long ass surge!)

On the one hand, it's a solid LT run and on the other, it's a challenging yet totally doable marathon race pace run. In either event, it wouldn't necessarily be a long run, it would be a workout (semantics!). But to answer your question, no, the run itself is not idiotic at all.

LRB

When we built our house, dh installed a doorbell that plays music instead of a door chime (we can upload files or choose from its database, I think). Naturally, we have it set to Star Wars music, and either it malfunctioned at 1am or someone decided to pay us a visit. So I awoke to it and haven’t been able to fall back asleep. 

That's awesome, sorry! lol

Regarding injury and The Game, it happens, and I've never held it against a single soul. It's the unknown variable which also plays a part in the setting of one's goal in the first place. Another fact that I think goes completely unacknowledged with them people.