Beginners and Beyond

Heart and Master Cycling (Read 37 times)

catwhoorg

Labrat

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/10/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/the-heart-and-masters-cycling_388002

I know we have several runners here with heart issues.

I found this article to very insightful into the effects of hard training in older athletes

" The more I learn about it, the more it makes sense that endurance athletes over 50, who are extremely fit, can end up with cardiac electrical issues, even though they have none of the classic risk factors for heart disease, and their circulatory plumbing is clear of plaque".

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Brilliant

Well that's a little depressing.

The article doesn't say - I wonder if damage is done during easy training, or just during the hard efforts?  The author does say he gave up training hard and racing, but not that he gave up exercise altogether.

Mmmmm...beer

Good thing I don't cycle!

I'd rather die running than sitting on the couch. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Interesting.

Damaris

LRB

I had a heart to heart with my heart and it said it would rather pump blood through an active me than an obese me.

happylily

la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Okay, that's not funny, I guess. All I can say is that I have two pieces of metal sewn in my heart and I hope they bring me as much luck as the pennies I find on sidewalks sometimes (what's wrong with people who don't stop for lucky pennies, btw? Are they crazy?)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010