Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 77: Battle of Leon Creek 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

BEFORE MY START

My 77th race of 2018 was Battle of Leon Creek 5K.  Part of the Alamo Beer series of races, this is the last race of the year  of a series of races put on by local race company Scallywompus, and sponsored by local brewery Alamo Beer, that helps participants train for the upcoming San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon and Half Marathon.  The main events of this race were the 20-miler and the 10-miler, with the 20-miler starting at 7:30 am., the 10-miler at 8:15 a.m. and the 5K at 9 a.m.  There were also several inspiring disabled participants who participated too.  The disabled athletes also started at 7:30.  Race location was near University of Texas at San Antonio at some apartments right down from one of the university parking lots and adjacent to the Leon Creek off-road greenway paved trail.  The 20-miler entrants had already left by the time I arrived at race site, so I wandered around getting some pre-start photos of the 10-miler and 5K participants.

In the photos, lots of people in coats, gloves, hats, etc...cuz 48 degrees with a feels like of 44 and a wind blowing is cold for we South Texans, lol.  We are normally in the 60s and 70s at this time of year.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_0939_zpszgfkp2ft.jpg

With friend George

photo IMG_0935_zpsv4xarwms.jpg

With speedy friend who did the 10-miler

photo IMG_0941_zpskyzhi0od.jpg

Our MC

photo IMG_0934_zpsadfdjhgm.jpg

Timer and results guy

photo IMG_0947_zpsbsfcj7td.jpg

Chip timing volunteer

photo IMG_0937_zpsenwww3sd.jpg

Various participants

photo IMG_0936_zpsdgepejow.jpg

photo IMG_0938_zpsqcjy9bjl.jpg

photo IMG_0940_zpszlhdwhka.jpg

photo IMG_0944_zpshbp24ak5.jpg

10 milers getting ready to go

photo IMG_0943_zpswtcrdf33.jpg

photo IMG_0945_zpsswoqsfx9.jpg

photo IMG_0948_zpsaasf6nit.jpg

photo IMG_0949_zpsjeo2mndc.jpg

photo IMG_0950_zpshbp5vsag.jpg

photo IMG_0951_zps1wrrf2yi.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Mother Nature blew in a ‘cold’ front on Friday night – cold for we South Texans anyway – with a temp of 48 on race day with a feel like temp of 44; although with the wind blowing as it was, felt a bit colder to me than that.  The 5K had the smallest number of participants, if I remember correctly.  We started right on time at 9 a.m., going up the apartments-access road, then a turn onto a sidewalk that took us down to the trail.  The surface was a mix of concrete and asphalt.  This was an out-and-back course, as all of the races for this one were, so on the way out I saw several 20-miler and 10-miler participants heading back toward the finish line.  At one point of the course, we crossed a small bridge which had some water still on it, leftover from previous rain, but shallow enough where it could be ‘stepped” through, but deep enough that if you tried to run through it your shoes and feet got a pretty good soaking.  I just walked on my heels through this shallow water and then kept running after that.  I was feeling okay and did my usual run/walk thing.  After the turn-round point I was still feeling good so picked up my pace a bit My last walk break was a bit before mile 2.  I ended up for the last 1.2 miles running nonstop into the finish, ending up with 33:17 chip time, good enough for 1st in my age group, as there were only 5 in my age group, lol.

photo IMG_0952_zps65pvtzjg.jpg

photo IMG_0953_zps8socemea.jpg

photo IMG_0954_zps3v0lmng3.jpg

photo IMG_0955_zpsxcjbewrv.jpg

photo IMG_0956_zps0xs247cb.jpg

photo IMG_0957_zps5hu8s307.jpg

photo IMG_0959_zpspdhhskq6.jpg

photo IMG_0960_zpsjnoo1p6p.jpg

photo IMG_0962_zpsgvywgrxd.jpg

photo IMG_0963_zpszochqyw0.jpg

photo IMG_0964_zpsfzwfie22.jpg

photo IMG_0965_zpsgulufbgj.jpg

photo IMG_0966_zpsu9vwdsbr.jpg

photo IMG_0967_zpsgnibsune.jpg

photo IMG_0968_zpsatmzitlb.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First thing, go find the dry shirt I had left behind before I started the race, and got that on, so I now had a nice-and-warm dry base layer to keep me from getting chilled in that darn wind.  Then back out and wandering around taking some photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc. , and enjoying some post-race goodies like sausage-on-a-stick, beer from local brewery Alamo Beer, and more. Scallywompus motto is ‘Come for the race.  Stay for the party” and they aren’t kidding.  They throw a great after-party.

photo IMG_0969_zpsrmvrxr5x.jpg

This lady did the 5K....

photo IMG_0970_zpsa3kpagei.jpg

Air Force trainee volunteers were out there helping out

photo IMG_0971_zpszz2iblbz.jpg

photo IMG_0976_zpsqmei9f63.jpg

Finisher medals for everyone

photo IMG_0972_zpsli9zkrcw.jpg

photo IMG_0973_zpschou7fjy.jpg

photo IMG_0974_zpsdyn25lhl.jpg

photo IMG_0975_zpsdqdznsj2.jpg

My friend bill did the 10-miler with his two doggies, who love to run

photo IMG_0977_zpsvq0rlktz.jpg

photo IMG_0978_zpsem3uxqtb.jpg

photo IMG_0979_zpsfrzquu6k.jpg

photo IMG_0980_zpseaonhh3m.jpg

photo IMG_0981_zps77zakcxn.jpg

With "Mr. Scallywompus" (middle) and friend

photo IMG_0982_zpskpvcgzyn.jpg

photo IMG_0984_zpsqdilfhlv.jpg

Another of the inspirational disabled participants.  She did the 5K, going all the way with those crutches

photo IMG_0985_zpspfovkrzs.jpg

This little lady did the 5K

photo IMG_0989_zpsnrbq5yzy.jpg

photo IMG_0986_zps7k15atyz.jpg

Thanks to local brewery Alamo Beer for being the major sponsor of this series...and for the post-race beer.

photo IMG_0987_zps2ymw7aqs.jpg

photo IMG_0988_zpsq6zdfahp.jpg

My friend, Caroloyn, who is battling cancer right now, placed in the competitive walk. The age-group awards were unique Alamo Beer glasses

photo IMG_0990_zpsqulurf7q.jpg

photo IMG_0992_zpsymn7i6id.jpg

Congrats, my friend!

photo IMG_0993_zpsqg0hnf0v.jpg

Women 5K age-group placers

photo IMG_0991_zpszfcwjoeq.jpg

First in m age group, with my friend who was 2nd.

photo IMG_0994_zps1lxwnp0r.jpg

photo IMG_0995_zpslau1b8ro.jpg

5K AG placers, men

photo IMG_1002_zpsmvhmyplg.jpg

With friend who placed in the 10-miler

photo IMG_1004_zpszefbbe3h.jpg

photo IMG_1006_zpsts8pzz3e.jpg

10-mile ladies

photo IMG_1007_zpsq0wyrows.jpg

10-mile men placers.  My friend Woody was one of them

photo IMG_1010_zpsy68yv8mh.jpg

Bill was first overall in the 10-miler, with the doggies, if I remember correctly, and got an award jug..

photo IMG_1011_zpskd2jw7vs.jpg

More happy finishers

photo IMG_1008_zpsixqahnxk.jpg

photo IMG_1012_zpsiofftnq5.jpg

photo IMG_1014_zpskh23er3u.jpg

As I was heading back to my car, there were some 20 milers still out on the course...here a couple of the finishers that came in as I was leaving.

photo IMG_1015_zps5vysze2u.jpg

photo IMG_1016_zpszi8owlab.jpg

photo IMG_1017_zpsult0gmo0.jpg

The official photographer

photo IMG_1018_zpsnupb1hpl.jpg

EPILOGUE

I am a big fan of the Scallywompus events; they always do an excellent job with their races.  Well organized, very popular, nice turn-outs for their events, lots of post-race goodies, really nice quality tech tee race shirt, very unique age-group awards, and very good courses.   They also have a competitive walk category, so walkers are not placed in runner age group categories, walkers get their own awards, which is a nice touch.  I’ve done several of their events in the past and will continue to do them in the future.  I most certainly would recommend them to others.  If you are a new runner, experience runner, visiting runner, and have never done one of these, find a Scallywompus event and give it a go; I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us; Scallywompus staff, all the volunteers – including some local Air Force trainee volunteers - iaapweb local race management company for the timing and results; law enforcement out there for us, and all the sponsors and vendors and anyone else whom I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all for making this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt