Beginners and Beyond

Totally Twisted Tuesdailies (Read 34 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm in the wrong hobby as a non-morning person.

Nope.  I've been running for 20 years, 99% after work.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There is no way I'm running before 5:00 am unless my house is on fire and I'm running out of it. No way in hell. Ever. Quote it. Not happening...most likely, hopefully, probably not. lol

That is why I can't run in the mornings.  I would have to run at 3am to make it to work in time.  FUCK NO.

Damaris

LRB

Meh, there are plenty of hardcore evening runners. Morning works best logistically for my schedule.

Yes, I believe they form the vast majority of runners. I have a job and life where I can run in the morning. That's not the case for a lot of people. #whateverworks #justgetitdone

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'd prefer to be running when people are heading to work, even though traffic is more dicey. I guess I feel like if something happened, there are  people around. Running before 5 am is very quiet, too quiet. Like no one would ever find my body...

Lol and I prefer the opposite, I know I'm the only one out at 3 or 4 AM so if I see someone else I immediately know something is off and avoid, or an odd smell like cologne or cigarettes, weed, cigar, whatever. I also change up my routes a lot, I've had odd cars driving along my beginning routes too many times in a row at 3 or 4 in the morning, I immediately changed my direction (I'm pretty certain they were more interested in finding their meth dealer). I hate running when people are headed to work because I've nearly been ran over dozens of times by assholes who will literally steer in my direction causing me to jump off the road. Last year or the year before during a long run I was literally harassed for an hour by two punk ass teens driving past me, screaming at me and then 5 minutes later coming from behind AGAIN, this was like late in the morning or early afternoon. They would speed past me, I remember being so pissed off.

So yeah, I prefer running or at least starting my run before 4 AM usually, I just want some peace and quiet before dealing with assholes. Granted, I've no problem running any other time of the day, hell I've ran at 9 PM, 10 PM, 11 PM, midnight, 1 AM, 2 AM.... whenever I can get my run in, but I prefer between 3 and 6 AM.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

I'm in the wrong hobby as a non-morning person.

running at extreme hours is usually due to having kids.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

THIS, totally this lol. Though I've learned to love it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

There are people around my normal route any time I go out, although of course many of them are homeless folks.

My limiting factor is my routine of driving to the gym near work & running from there. Gym does not open before 5, so the earliest I can get up is about 4:05, which is what I do for my 14-15 MLRs. The usual is somewhere between 4:15 (for 11-12 miles) and 5:00 (for 5-6 miles).

I was out running at 4-5 when I was in Seattle (jet lag, couldn't sleep) and there were lots of homeless people, a lot more than what I'm accustomed to. I figured it was because the climate is better for them compared to around here. I'd prefer to be homeless in Seattle than in Montreal. I think.

But being a guy, I don't really feel threatened by people when I'm out running. Unless they really want a Garmin watch, I guess.

Can you imagine, attacking someone to get his Garmin, and he's wearing a Polar, or worse, a TomTom. That would really suck.

RunningOnSand

Let's not ignore that wind, either. I know you like it b/c it "cools you off", but holy shit, woman.

I'd prefer to be running when people are heading to work, even though traffic is more dicey. I guess I feel like if something happened, there are  people around. Running before 5 am is very quiet, too quiet. Like no one would ever find my body...

That would be my logic, too, if I were still an early morning runner.

There is no way I'm running before 5:00 am unless my house is on fire and I'm running out of it. No way in hell. Ever. Quote it. Not happening...most likely, hopefully, probably not. lol

LOL Big grin

That is why I can't run in the mornings.  I would have to run at 3am to make it to work in time.  FUCK NO.

Word.

This is also true. When mine were little I'd be up before 5 (which, I know is not that outrageous for a lot of you, but for this sleep lover, it was).

RunningOnSand

I ran 5 today on the TM, b/c, like many of you, we got a shitton more snow (how?) and I didn't feel like getting soaking wet feet, b/c the plows don't typically tend to the sidewalks or the trails. And the owners of houses who live on said sidewalks mostly don't shovel, either. 

I am also proud of myself b/c I wrote down stole from another forum a quick strength training program, which I completed (!!!), and had a bunch of veggies for lunch. Your musings on not eating deep fried foods and overall general healthiness made me realize that my month (or two) of gluttony has actually caught up with me, and in order to not have to bring out my fat pants, I am going to do something about it. Lists have been created, and I'm excited about it. Bring it.

LRB

Your musings on not eating deep fried foods and overall general healthiness made me realize that my month (or two) of gluttony has actually caught up with me, and in order to not have to bring out my fat pants, I am going to do something about it. Lists have been created, and I'm excited about it. Bring it.

You actually paid attention to that? Well I'll be dammed. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Let's not ignore that wind, either. I know you like it b/c it "cools you off", but holy shit, woman.

That would be my logic, too, if I were still an early morning runner.

LOL Big grin

Word.

This is also true. When mine were little I'd be up before 5 (which, I know is not that outrageous for a lot of you, but for this sleep lover, it was).

Ha, I didn't even look at the wind because that's normal for Winter. Thanks.  More reasons to hop on Dolly Parton instead...

Damaris

Last year or the year before during a long run I was literally harassed for an hour by two punk ass teens driving past me, screaming at me and then 5 minutes later coming from behind AGAIN, this was like late in the morning or early afternoon. They would speed past me, I remember being so pissed off.

I just want some peace and quiet before dealing with assholes everyone in the world.

That is horrible.  HORRIBLE.  I'm so sorry, that would scare the fuck out of me, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get back out.  Like ever.  That very well might break me.  You're a rock star for keeping on.

And yes x 1,000 on not dealing with anyone human in the morning.  I need some GD time to myself.

So to back up my new moniker of LawnmowerMom, I went through my email and found my cancelled order for the lawnmower.  I'm not sure I would believe this story, so in case you were skeptical that this actually happened, here's the proof.  It was one of those flash sales or lightning deals, so it must have been on the home page when the app opened, touch screen magic, and boom.  I was well on my way to a useless lawnmower.

But in current running news, I ran 3 this morning with doggo.  I don't know what to do right now.  I should have put more thought into a post-marathon plan.  I feel fine, I did kind of a fartlek thing because it felt good to run faster, but I don't really know what is right and what is injury waiting to happen.  Here is where it's nice to have a coach.  Although, I'm sure you peeps are more than willing to tell me what to do, it's kind of a thing around here.

Thanks for the tip on the dog Zyrtec Half Crazy, I've got him taking that, plus Benadryl, plus these allergy immune treats, and he seems to be improving (although super slowly).  He had licked one foot to the point he had a sore, that is totally gone now.  My next weapon is some skin soothing spray that's supposed to come tomorrow.  Hopefully that will make him more comfortable, but the licking and scratching is probably 80% better.  I really don't want to have to go the steroid route if we can avoid it.  He's a lab, so the idea of him being even hungrier than his default "gimme that and that and more of that and ALL of that" is terrifying.  I'm pretty sure on steroids he would eat all of the furniture.  I've never had a dog with seasonal allergies, this is a whole new frontier for me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You actually paid attention to that? Well I'll be dammed. 

You lost me at no deep fried foods, so I didn't read the rest.  If you had said no alcohol, I don't know if we could've even been friends anymore. 

Office idiot has been MIA all morning (allegedly in court), comes to the office only to be told she had a 2pm that she forgot, and now is trying to cancel it (something we must never do as creditors and other people are already en route) because she does not want to hop back on the road and drive for 30 minutes.  And then had the gall to say she works harder than everybody else.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Ha, I didn't even look at the wind because that's normal for Winter. Thanks.  More reasons to hop on Dolly Parton instead...

Is that her name? Do you name your TM's? How did I not think of this before!!!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Is that her name? Do you name your TM's? How did I not think of this before!!!!!

I sure do.  My first was named Lola, so this one was Dolly even before seeing her in person.  When I saw the console, I immediately knew she was a Dolly Parton.

Guess what's my middle name? 

Damaris