Beginners and Beyond

Running for Boston today (Read 140 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I know that a lot has been going around facebook about dedicating runs today to the victims and families at the Boston marathon. To wear a race shirt today to show the strength and support of the runner community.

I just went on a 3.5 mile run in my neighborhood this morning. I wore my race shirt from the Baltimore Running Festival 5K, my first race, and ran at a place that I run most of my training runs...the Shore Road jogging path in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. It is one of my favorite places in the world to run. It is convenient (only half a mile from my apartment), and offers views of the Lower Manhattan including an awesome view of the Freedom Tower, as well as a view of the Statue of Liberty. On the Pier there, there is a 9/11 memorial. I couldn't think of a more appropriate place to run today to think about being a runner; being an American; to remember those lost, injured and otherwise affected by terrorist attacks on our country; and to look at the ultimate symbol of overcoming terrorism: The Freedom Tower. I brought my phone and took a few pics to share:

The Brooklyn 9/11 Memorial on the 69th St Pier that is on the jogging path in Shore Road Park. This side says "Brooklyn Remembers." It's hard to see in the quality of a cell phone shot, but standing here in person you have a nice view of the Statue of Liberty to the left and Freedom Tower to the right of the Memorial.

Other side of the Memorial with the Verrazano Bridge in the background:

City Skyline:

Statue of Liberty:

Me, on the Pier, in my Race shirt. Ignore the weird face...didn't feel like smiling:

So, did you go on a special run today for Boston? Wear a race shirt? If you want to share about how you're remembering Boston today, please do. I am proud to be a part of such a wonderful community here at RA and of runners in general.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

YAYpril - B-Plus

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I aim for an unplanned 2.26 mile run today if weather permits me (I'll have to take my son with me). Don't know if I will take pics where I run, but I am dedicating my run to the victims and families Sad.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bobruns

I ran 3 miles this morning.  Boston was in my thoughts the whole way...

I ran an emotional 5 miles this am. Just after mile 1 I started to think about myself and what makes me who I am. I am a husband, a father, an educator, a motivator, a runner, a marathoner.  Those are a few things that I came up with this am. Before I knew it, I was in tears running along the road. I cried and ran for about 5 minutes. I then got my shit together and kept going. I was lucky enough to step in a damn pot hole and not go down. I dont know how I didnt, but I do remember telling myself, "nice save dumbass" I kept running. The ankle is fine and I am happy that I got the run in.

Today at work, I feel very frustrated and dont want to be in my office. I enjoyed my walk over to the High School to go talk to some buddies that work there.

I almost feel like I need to go run some more or go do something. My son has a T-ball gmae later which should be enjoyable.

I did put on a race shirt this AM to run in -- either it shrunk or I ate too much chinese food sunday for lunch.

God bless you runners.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Don't call me Buttercup!

Pssst....  I am wearing that shirt! =)

I wore my race shirt from the Baltimore Running Festival 5K, my first race, and ran at a place that I run most of my training runs...

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

I'm wearing my Jerusalem Marathon t-shirt today.

After work, glutes do my usual leg exercises, plus a short hilly run on the TM.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Twins! Great shirt!

Pssst....  I am wearing that shirt! =)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't think I have any race shirts that fit (and long sleeves are out for weather reasons), but I will be wearing Boston Marathon colors instead.  Trying to make a group photo with my running group with the bibs from that FB event.

Damaris

I don't think I have any race shirts that fit (and long sleeves are out for weather reasons), but I will be wearing Boston Marathon colors instead.  Trying to make a group photo with my running group with the bibs from that FB event.

mine printed out too big even for my belly. make sure you check the size before you print.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We are planning more to take a picture with it and then run, not necessarily wearing it on the shirt.  Yes, it's too big.

Damaris

Knit1Run2

Master of Chaos

I wore a Boston headband when I did my 8 yesterday and watched coverage at my gym on my way home from the course.  Today I will wear my BAA 5k 2013 race shirt for my run.

Gonna try to at least get in a jog when I get home.

Also, I'm going one step further -- this season I will be a Red Sox fan as a small thanks to the spirit of Bostonians.

Mmmmm...beer

We are planning more to take a picture with it and then run, not necessarily wearing it on the shirt.  Yes, it's too big.

It defaults to landscape view, which prints full page and is too big, if you switch it to portrait view, it prints out a perfect bib size. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!