Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdaylies on the 28th (Read 37 times)

LRB

Yeah I have given up on pacers, other than as a rough measuring stick when I spot one, and then I realize it is meaningless because those guys are all over the map. Anyway I don't need someone to keep me on pace for the first 2/3 of the race, I need someone to physically drag my ass the rest of the way to the finish.

lol

DavePNW

This.  I understand the concept of a pacer, but, well... if I could run that pace, I would.  Having someone urging me to do it when I can't is not going to help me!!

Exactly. People talk about the mental side of it, but your mind can't make you faster than your body is capable. Unless I just haven't figured out how.

I don't think I've experienced what onemile did.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Exactly. People talk about the mental side of it, but your mind can't make you faster than your body is capable. Unless I just haven't figured out how.

I don't think I've experienced what onemile did.

I tried telling myself during a 5K once that my mind would give up before my body.  It didn't help.  The mind was willing; the body was not.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Baboon

delicate flower

Yeah I have given up on pacers, other than as a rough measuring stick when I spot one, and then I realize it is meaningless because those guys are all over the map. Anyway I don't need someone to keep me on pace for the first 2/3 of the race, I need someone to physically drag my ass the rest of the way to the finish.

lol

I will say the one time I hooked up with a pace group from miles 15 to 22, they did a great job of blocking a headwind.  No doubt that helped.  Then I faded off the back of the pack and order was restored in the universe.

<3

DavePNW

Boston cutoff is 2:09 this year

My goal for my last one was 3:28, for BQ-2:00. Glad I didn't make it! 

Dave

onemile

My goal for my last one was 3:28, for BQ-2:00. Goad I didn't make it! 

Are you aiming for a 3:27 this time?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Uhhhhhh I think a 1:45 is an 8:00 pace 

True, but I was talking about the 1:50 pace people at that particular moment, people between the 1:40-1:50 pace groups will be ranging around that pace.

Plus, I was in my son's school parking lot when I typed that in a hurry on my phone so sue me damn it. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Except, what if the pace group goes out too fast...

#theplotthickens

Which in my experience has been always.

Damaris

DavePNW

Are you aiming for a 3:27 this time?

Ha, yes actually that's sort of what I was planning on anyway. But still more of a stretch goal; at this point, a straight 3:30 would be good a miracle.

Dave

LRB

I tried running with the 1:45 group once. They passed me after less than 3 miles, they were running at a 7:40 pace. And then around mile 9-10 a second 1:45 group passed me and I couldn't keep up with them either.  So discouraging. I ended up finishing in 1:43 something 

I have mentioned this before but I went with the 1:40 pacers during my first half and them bitches went out at a 1:37 pace. I had no Garmin and no real idea of just how criminal that stupid shit was. They left me at mile 7, I finished in 1:43.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Which in my experience has been always.

I caught up and played leapfrog with the 2:10 pacers at mile 12 in my second half (run/ walk). They crossed the finish pretty much at 2:10 exactly. No clue what they did early on.

Cyberic

Last year the 3:15 pacer I followed until mile 20 finished in 3:15:06.  I had asked him before the race if he was going for BQers, or for a true 3:15, and he was going for the latter. He did a good job.

Baboon

delicate flower

Today is a bike ride day, weather permitting.  

NOPE.  At some point during the drive home, I said to myself, "Fuck it.  Rest day."

<3

DavePNW

Ha, yes actually that's sort of what I was planning on anyway. But still more of a stretch goal; at this point, a straight 3:30 would be good a miracle.

Oh, and it's pretty early, but I'm starting to get a little terrified.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Oh, and it's pretty early, but I'm starting to get a little terrified.

Get it over with early!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog