Beginners and Beyond

Anyone else waiting to hear on their status for NYC 2014? (Read 76 times)

LRB

Yeah Rick, NYC is expensive. That's unlike Detroit where THEY pay you to run it.

I wish.

I have designs on running NYC someday and not once did I think anything about the race entry fee because usually the cost is inconsequential.  I did say usually.

slowrunningjulie

I was not judging it just took me by surprise.

Well I realized after I posted it that you were looking at happylily's post, which said $ 390. She is an international runner and I am assuming paid in Canadian dollars. For the rest of us US rabble, the fee is $ 216. Which is high, but not $ 390. :-)

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

happylily

I wish.

I have designs on running NYC someday and not once did I think anything about the race entry fee because usually the cost is inconsequential.  I did say usually.

The entry fee is nothing compared to the cost of lodging near Central Park. I'll be going with my sis-in-law and she likes to shop, dine out and go to the theatre. So I better start eating ramen noodles for the next 7 months to help save my money for this trip.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

Yeah Rick, NYC is expensive. That's unlike Detroit where THEY pay you to run it.

Brrrrrn!

... I'll see myself out.

LRB

Well I realized after I posted it that you were looking at happylily's post, which said $ 390. She is an international runner and I am assuming paid in Canadian dollars. For the rest of us US rabble, the fee is $ 216. Which is high, but not $ 390. :-)

Exactly, $216 is inconsequential.  

lily, riff raff such as myself would be lodging somewhere else and catching a train in.  lol

lily, riff raff such as myself would be lodging somewhere else and catching a train in.  lol

That's what I'll do, if I get a spot. I'll probably stay in Brooklyn that weekend.

bluerun

Super B****

I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't want to do this race, and it's my "hometown marathon." 

Hope all of you who want to do it get in, though!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

happylily

I'm starting to think I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't want to do this race, and it's my "hometown marathon." 

Hope all of you who want to do it get in, though!

Why don't you want to do it, blue? My neighbour has done it three times (qualified each time) and he absolutely loves that marathon.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

At one time, I had the NYC Marathon on my bucket list to do, but the fee is just way too expensive for my liking.  Plus, I'm cheap.  Big grin

happylily

Your posts about lodging gave me the idea to post an ad on a home exchange site. We have a place in Mexico, on the beach, which we rent. A apartment in Manhattan for 5 days in exchange for a two week vacation at the beach. Maybe I'll be lucky and my NYC accommodation in November will be free!

happylily

At one time, I had the NYC Marathon on my bucket list to do, but the fee is just way too expensive for my liking.  Plus, I'm cheap.  Big grin

Seriously, I used to be cheap, then I had a serious medical incident happen to me and now I just want to live great experiences. I don't care so much anymore about amassing material stuff, I spend my money on making awesome memories.

LRB

Your posts about lodging gave me the idea to post an ad on a home exchange site. We have a place in Mexico, on the beach, which we rent. A apartment in Manhattan for 5 days in exchange for a two week vacation at the beach. Maybe I'll be lucky and my NYC accommodation in November will be free!

There ya go!

bluerun

Super B****

Why don't you want to do it, blue? My neighbour has done it three times (qualified each time) and he absolutely loves that marathon.

Partly because my POS of a body won't let me do a lot of marathons, and I want to be able to run fast, not get stuck in a clusterf**k of humanity.

Partly because if I do a race that isn't practically right outside my front door, I can delude myself into thinking that my family doesn't not give a crap about it.  I wouldn't expect them to travel ten whole miles, but one or two is reasonable!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

slowrunningjulie

Seriously, I used to be cheap, then I had a serious medical incident happen to me and now I just want to live great experiences. I don't care so much anymore about amassing material stuff, I spend my money on making awesome memories.

I haven't had the medical issues you have, but I feel the same way. I love to travel and I love to run, so for me, these destination marathons are a perfect fit. It's not a cheap hobby but I love it.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

RSX

Staying out of NYC is on my bucket list