Beginners and Beyond

Onemile's CIM RR (Read 59 times)

Ric-G

Congrats! Never to easy to PR. I agree that you said the stupid rolling hills never seemed to stop. They do tend to suck and then the flatter terrain comes in a little later than expected. It seems like you have a lot more fitness and I'm sure you'll blow past this PR and really crank it up in the future. Enjoy your recovery as you hobble around the next few days. Rest up and be well.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

OK. We'll give you 48 hours. 

lol

onemile

OK. We'll give you 48 hours. 

It's going to take longer than that for me to want to put in this kind of training again with little to show for it

Congrats on the PR. That course sounds very tough, when we were in LA last fall, there was hardly anything I would consider flat. I assume that is much the same as you head north. The course does look pretty and you got a vacation somewhere with no snow!

I don't want to say it's a very tough course.  Because I had no problem running fast for the first half despite the hills. But as someone who trains on mostly flat routes, it was tough on my legs and I can see how it would be a fast course for someone who is used to / better at hills.  And it actually snowed in Wisconsin a couple days after I left so it is nice to not be there.

Ric & Scotty - Thanks

Zelanie

It's going to take longer than that for me to want to put in this kind of training again with little to show for it

That's a big difference in perspective right there. I needed my training plan to get my running mojo back, so there was value in that outside of the race. If all of your eggs are in the race day basket, that race needs to be ideal.

DavePNW

Been there, done that....I feel your pain. Totally understand that the training you did should've yielded more than a 1 min PR.

I'm gonna go ahead & blame your coach. Whom IIRC actually told you to go for 7:15s.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Any day you can say your ran a marathon PR is a good day, especially on a course that is tougher than what you are used to running.  Don't underestimate what rolling hills can do to your legs if you haven't trained on them.  You go from feeling great to feeling tired in the span of 10 minutes.  The worst HM I ever ran was a hilly course after a season of flat running (won't make that mistake again).   Despite getting tired and fading a little, you still held on for a PR, which says a lot about your conditioning.  Great job hanging in there for the PR!  Of course, you still have DaveP beat, so there is that.

Very cool that you got to FE with LRB and Zel!

<3

DavePNW

Of course, you still have DaveP beat, so there is that.

Please. We are not even in the same area code.

Dave

Cyberic

This is exactly how I feel.

I accept that Boston might have been a fluke in my case. So I trained on top of my Boston fitness to try again in Montreal, and got a less than 2 minutes PR (1:40 or something). Can't really complain, and that is obviously what I'm capable of, and a PR is a PR, but the effort in training vs the gain in finish time seems disproportionate to me.

When I saw your finish time, I thought you might feel that way too because of the colossal training cycle you just went through.

DavePNW

This is exactly how I feel.

I accept that Boston might have been a fluke in my case. So I trained on top of my Boston fitness to try again in Montreal, and got a less than 2 minutes PR (1:40 or something). Can't really complain, and that is obviously what I'm capable of, and a PR is a PR, but the effort in training vs the gain in finish time seems disproportionate to me.

When I saw your finish time, I thought you might feel that way too because of the colossal training cycle you just went through.

Yeah this is just one more reason why marathons are dumb. So many things can derail you. In onemile's case it was the course, but could've been the weather, illness/injury, or bad Mexican food the night before. And then you basically have to wait 6 months (1 year for some) and do the whole thing all over again.

Dave

LRB

Very cool that you got to FE with LRB and Zel!

For being stuck with not one but TWO vegetarians geezus, she did well. lol

It's funny that each of us was completely content to do whatever made the others happy; "Whatever you wanna do is fine with me", "No, we'll do whatever you wanna do", "No, no, no I insist, whatever you wanna do is what we're going to do" It's any wonder we did anything. lol

They are totally selfless people. It was refreshing!

Zelanie

We were talking back in the day about the effects of airline travel. I wonder if that was a factor here?

Zelanie

It's any wonder we did anything. lol

How long did it take us to figure out the deli and coffee thing on Saturday? Luckily LRB properly knew that it was then time to freak the fuck out.

I do agree that both onemile and LRB were super easygoing and fun to spend time with. And Mr. Onemile too!

LRB

We were talking back in the day about the effects of airline travel. I wonder if that was a factor here?

It wasn't for me, not even the driving played a part. Nope, I stunk that thing up all by myself. lol

Zelanie

It wasn't for me, not even the driving played a part. Nope, I stunk that thing up all by myself. lol

But for onemile, who hadn't been off the plane the long, and maybe had the longest flight?

LRB

How long did it take us to figure out the deli and coffee thing on Saturday?

That was funny. Getting kicked out of the joint was funny too.

Their orzo salad was the shit though. It had balance, that's not always the case.

Oh, and my poor gear check bag. It had two slices of bread wrapped in a napkin in it.