Beginners and Beyond

What's with all the color runs? (Read 182 times)

Mmmmm...beer

So don't do one?

If it gets people off the couch, I'm all for it.  I don't think I'll do a color run, just because I tend to react to dust, so I think it wouldn't be much fun for me.  But I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a mud or foam run.  I know of several people who have been motivated to start working out to do mud runs, and people who have branched out into "real" running because they got started in one of these fun run events.

FWIW, I fucking love Lucky Charms.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

I'd do a color run with Tomas, Dave and FS just because they are are fun people. :-) I think the key is to do it with people you know will be a blast. Not serious people. I wouldn't do one with LTH. Big grin (kidding...)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I don't have a problem with them...I was asked to do one with some friends. I wasn't going to look at it as a race just a fun day with some exercise thrown in. However, it got cancelled and rescheduled for a weekend I will be out of town so I had to drop off our team.

I just think it is interesting how many different companies are capitalizing on the trend

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Don't call me Buttercup!

But if anyone tells me that they wouldn't do one if their 5 year child/grandchild asked them to do it with them, I'd say..."Wow". I never thought I'd do one until Carissa asked me to. My retort was immediate "You bet sweetheart! It's gonna be fun!"...She beamed. Smile

Grandparents rule!! =)

I did one last year with friends.  We didn't really run it, but we danced/did cartwheels through the color stations, and laughed a LOT.   We also had blue/green/you name it in various locations for a few days. (My armpits were GREEN!! LOL)

I wouldn't do one again, but it was fun to do once.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

I'm not sure I'd lump all 'mud runs' into the same category, though. I ran the Spartan Race a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the most exhausting things I've ever done. I think some of those races are 5K with a few mud pits, but this thing was a grueling 5.4 miles of hills, rock,  mud, and military style obstacles. And I can't wait to do it again next year!

Down here we have tons of mud runs too.  Its a faze...?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I don't have kids, so I personally don't have any interest in a color run. However, I'm not going to criticize people who want to do it. If it gets inactive people off the couch, horray! If it motivates children to want to "run" with Mom and Dad (or Grandpa or Grandma) then all the better! It's a fun run. It's supposed to be FUN.

There's going to be a Color Me Rad in my city on May 19. A lot of my friends are doing it (including my friend who just ran Boston - she's bringing her little ones) and nobody feels tricked or misled about the purpose. They're just doing it to get messy and have a good time.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine. But don't bitch about it.

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

I wouldn't do one by myself, but if running one with some friends meant something to them, then I'm in.  What's the worst that could happen?  I might have a good time?!?!?

FWIW, I fucking love Lucky Charms.

I freaking hate Lucky Charms.  One of my college jobs was working in a cereal factory where I had to dump 315# boxes of those daggum marshmallows into a hopper in a 110 degree environment where they would then be distributed into the cereal.  Every time I dumped a box, it produced a mushroom cloud of dust, and marshmallow dust is some sugary, sticky stuff.  I would end a shift caked in white, sticky dust and would be cleaning it for 3 days out of crevasses on my body that I didn't even know existed at the time!  My nickname around the plant was StayPuft.  So yes, I AM SCARRED FOR LIFE!!!  Dead  It did allow me to work the graveyard shift with my dad, and that's an experience I wouldn't trade for the world.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Just B.S.

Diz Diz Diz, as a triathlete myself (like you)  I get really sick of hearing people complain about or make

fun of cyclists, triathletes or just the sport of triathlon in general.

Therefore I keep my mouth shut about any other type of activity/race etc that others might enjoy but that

I could not fathom paying money to participate in.

Seeing as you have only been into an active lifestyle for a few short years and transformed your life

and body  I would think you better than anyone would champion something that promoted physical activity

a fun way that could possibly spark someone to a different outlook on an active lifestyle.

Anything that gets people off the couch or outdoors being active and having fun is better than not

doing anything, IMO.

Buelligan

This thread makes me want to throw something at you.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

But they're so pretty and colorful.

You people have issues 

cmb4314

I don't do color runs, because being dirty is not fun to me.

I don't do mud runs because again, being dirty is no fun, and I'd probably injure myself on one of the stupid obstacles.

If other people want to do them, go for it.  Whatever floats your boat.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

Dizzy, I don't understand why you're getting your panties in a wad over it.  Nobody's forcing you to participate.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

This thread makes me want to throw something at you.

True for most of his threads...

MrNamtor

I started doing a lame middle-aged guy type of gymnastics/parkour about 2 years ago for various physical and philosophical reasons. As part of it (athletic conditioning), i began running short distances that became longer distances as time went on. Eventually i became interested in doing obstacle races.

Obstacle races are considered (wrongly, imho) by some to be "gimmick races" and I've heard people say negative things about them (real runners don't do them).  Whatever. The obstacle race i ran was a little short of 11 miles, required training for long distance and led me to RW and where i am today in running (nowhere, but it's all relative).

Anyway the point is (finally for anyone still reading this) that what ever leads people to do things is just fine. A certain number of kids or adults will find the color runs fun and get into the sport of running, like i did. Or not, and they'll just have fun. Either way, it's all good.

monkkey

I know someone who did a color run first and is now preparing to run two "regular" 5ks, so that's awesome.

I'm happier with just roads and trails but it's a personal preference.

Btw, I have a bike but I am not good at cycling.  I would not consider a bike race but am thinking about doing a non-competitive cycling event, like a tour.  I am sure there are "real" cyclists out there who scoff at those events, but who cares?  More choices are great!  We can all do what we like.