Beginners and Beyond

FriDailies (Read 16 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

6½ nice morning miles with my RP.  A nice, brisk 40º on a quiet morning.

MTA:  Mets and Yankees are both in ties for first place in their divisions.  How many more times this year will I be able to say that?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! RD.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm looking at a couple halves for the fall.  One has 625' of total elevation spread out along the course with a couple of 100' climbs.  The other had 553' of total climb, but includes a 250' climb over a mile and half in the middle of the race.

Would you rather run a course with more, but smaller hills, or a course with less overall climb, but one especially large one in it?  I'm curious what this group thinks.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'd rather do smaller hills than one big one unless the rest of the race is flat after that large hill.

Damaris

DavePNW

I'd rather do smaller hills than one big one unless the rest of the race is flat after that large hill.

I’d pretty much agree with this. 

The usual stiff & slow recovery run that happens the morning after an evening workout. 6 miles.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Hey there, slick!  My plan this morning was to sleep past the alarm, but the dog foiled those plans, so I was up at 5:30 and ran 8.4 miles.  Windy out there.  I'll pedal the indoor bike later since I blew it off last night.

I'm looking at a couple halves for the fall.  One has 625' of total elevation spread out along the course with a couple of 100' climbs.  The other had 553' of total climb, but includes a 250' climb over a mile and half in the middle of the race.

I'd opt for the prior.  I'd prefer my climbs to be a little more broken up.  250' over 1.5 miles is very similar to a hill right near my house and it is a monster.  I would not want to hit that in a race.

<3

sdWhiskers

+1 Absolutely

sdWhiskers

At the airport en route to Spring Break. No, not Miami. Hitting up several NPs in NM and TX.

DavePNW

At the airport en route to Spring Break. No, not Miami. Hitting up several NPs in NM and TX.

Which ones?

Dave

sdWhiskers

Which ones?

Carlsbad caverns, White Sands, and Guadeloupe Mtns

We did Utah 2 years ago which was incredible. Most NPs are too cold to visit at this time of year but Kid's spring break is when it is.

DavePNW

Carlsbad caverns, White Sands, and Guadeloupe Mtns

We did Utah 2 years ago which was incredible. Most NPs are too cold to visit at this time of year but Kid's spring break is when it is.

Our kids would've hated a trip like that. lol. We keep talking about a big Utah-centered NP trip for just the two of us, but haven't made it happen yet. We did do one, to Yellowstone + Grand Teton, which was pretty cool. One issue is both of us have sufficient back problems that multi-day car trips can get uncomfortable. 

Dave

sdWhiskers

Our kids would've hated a trip like that. lol. We keep talking about a big Utah-centered NP trip for just the two of us, but haven't made it happen yet. We did do one, to Yellowstone + Grand Teton, which was pretty cool. One issue is both of us have sufficient back problems that multi-day car trips can get uncomfortable. 

My kid does great! Minimal whining as long as hotels have pools and he gets some Nintendo time in the evening. He needs active things so hiking > museums usually. We like to plan where drving isnt more then 3-4h in a day and we stay in each location more than 1 night so not lots of driving every day. Debated adding Big Bend NP on this trip but that was too much travel.

Utah was amazing, highly recommend and not crazy amount in the car (for non old ppl!). We flew into SLC, drove to Moab, then Zion then flew out of Vegas. Spent 1-3 nights in each place and hit 4 of the 5 NPs in a week.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Took today off because no one was going to be around today. 7 miles plus lower body strength.

I'd proibably take the smaller hills over 1 big one, unless there is a good reason for it. For example, one HM here used to use a school as the starting point before running on the NCR trail. So you had a big hill in the begiinning (down ) and to finish (up), and nothing else. Annoying set up, but you got almost 12 mostly flat miles.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Sounds like a consensus on the race.  (Damaris - after the big hill, the rest of the course is gradual uphill with a 50' hill in mile 13.)  More, but smaller hills.  I tend to agree.  Also, the more-but-smaller race is both closer to home and 20% cheaper.  So it's a win-win-win.

MTA - we just got a "go home early for the holiday" email.  That usually doesn't happen for Easter; usually only for 3-day weekends.  Whatever, I'll take it.

DavePNW

after the big hill, the rest of the course is gradual uphill with a 50' hill in mile 13.

That will feel worse than the 250 ft hill in the middle!

Dave