Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES are cold-hearted. (Read 36 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran 8 in 80 degrees. This heat and humidity will be the death of me

Truer words were never spoken.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

4 miles.

Bought the Garmin 235 online yesterday as a birthday present to myself. Opted for free shipping so should have it in 7-10 days. My 220 has made it 3+ years and was worth every penny.

We are trying to decide on a spring break destination that is within a reasonable flight and is warm. Not that it isn't warm here, I mean lots of people come here for spring break. Currently deciding between Oahu (the only island I haven't been to yet) or somewhere in Mexico.

Cyberic

Are you like LRB with super cold fingers/hands? I've got some hand warmers I could send your way Wink My kids used them when they were skiing/snowboarding this weekend in sub-zero temps, lord have mercy.

I run with these in 0* temps and below . Started doing that this year. Excellent decision. Cold hands are not fun.

DavePNW

I run with these in 0* temps and below . Started doing that this year. Excellent decision. Cold hands are not fun.

Back when I had to run in bitter cold sometimes, I went with 2 layers - regular running gloves plus wind-blocking mittens. Often after a while I'd warm up and have to take the mittens off. Then maybe get cold again and put them back on.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Back when I had to run in bitter cold sometimes, I went with 2 layers - regular running gloves plus wind-blocking mittens. Often after a while I'd warm up and have to take the mittens off. Then maybe get cold again and put them back on.

These can help with that (putting them on/taking them off)....although you kind of still do that (flip them on, flip them off).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No matter how thick my gloves are or how many layers I have, my fingertips are always freezing.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Them some grown ass man gloves right there!

Baboon

delicate flower

Happy Monday, kids!  Today is a company holiday but I am working from home because I got shit to do.  Speaking of which, I swam 3000 yards this morning, and will head to the gym soon for a treadmill run, which is something I have not done in 11 months.  -25 wind chill is too much for me to handle.  I am no Cyber Eric.

Bought the Garmin 235 online yesterday as a birthday present to myself. Opted for free shipping so should have it in 7-10 days. My 220 has made it 3+ years and was worth every penny.

HOORAY new toy!!

<3

Cyberic

I used to do stuff like that. To some degree of dissatisfaction. Often ended up being cold. One day tried these big ass gloves I bought last year to drive the car because a cold steering wheel is very hard to counter. Tried them on for running in about 0* temp. Loved them. Has to be very cold, though, or else I start sweating. But I haven't been cold in these yet: just perfect, or too hot.

My point is that "running" gear is not always what's best, because in stores the gloves they sell for running are thin AF. And then they say it's dangerous to go running in the cold. People ski in that weather, going down a mountain at a much faster clip than I can run. People go on snowmobiles in that weather, and them beasts can go reeeeaallly fast.

It is not dangerous to run in the cold if you have proper gear.

Heat is a different story. I will run in anything thrown at me in Quebec, Canada, but I think I'm more at risk from the heat than the cold.

Cyberic

Them some grown ass man gloves right there!

A man has to do what a man has to do!

Cyberic

Bought the Garmin 235 online yesterday as a birthday present to myself.

How much did you pay for it? I suggested that watch to my coworker about a year ago as it was already pretty cheap and is an excellent watch, so the prices must be great for it now.

sdWhiskers

How much did you pay for it? I suggested that watch to my coworker about a year ago as it was already pretty cheap and is an excellent watch, so the prices must be great for it now.

I looked at a few different places online and it was $249 everywhere. So cheaper than the crazy triathlon watch that DH has but not really that cheap. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard for sales or discounts.

Cyberic

I looked at a few different places online and it was $249 everywhere. So cheaper than the crazy triathlon watch that DH has but not really that cheap. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard for sales or discounts.

Ok, that's its regular price. Every couple of months Garmin makes sales.  Still a great watch IMO.

DavePNW

It's unfortunate that this is pretty much their low end for what you'd consider a "serious" running watch. And yet still has a lot more features than many people need. Below that they only have the 25 & 35, which are lacking in some significant areas. It would be nice if they had something in between

Dave

sdWhiskers

It's unfortunate that this is pretty much their low end for what you'd consider a "serious" running watch. And yet still has a lot more features than many people need. Below that they only have the 25 & 35, which are lacking in some significant areas. It would be nice if they had something in between

Yes. I don't need the watch for anything besides running. I don't wear it 24/7 or want email or music on it. I don't want the poorly-functioning HR function either. I don't even program workouts except ones with the basic Interval function from my 220. Just a GPS watch. Should be like $100.

The same thing happens when we go car shopping. I want the base model but with a slightly more powerful engine and good quality tires, you know, the things that matter. Touch screen for music? fancy interior? blind spot monitoring? No no no.