Beginners and Beyond

Week 46 Penguins are all about the folds!! (11/10-11/16) (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Origami Day.  I never had the patience for that -- my attempts at origami always looked like they were done by a third-grader.  Which is probably how old I was when I last attempted it, but anyway.

I had a nice relaxing weekend, with laundry and movies and a couple of loaves of bread and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (not fond of raisins).  Relaxing is good, because next weekend is going to be crazy (that's my teaser trailer).  I also have a massage on Tuesday and a mid-week day off on Wednesday.

Weights and biking done today, woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

HM - sounds like you have a good week planned. Enjoy.

RD for me, probably. I'm tired and a bit stiff, so probably won't do cross-training aside from walking Ben.

lewjeffrey

This weekend my baking project was carrot, raisin and apple muffins.  I had to use instacart but I wasn't able to get the walnuts I needed.  If I had walnuts I was going to make carrot cake muffins.  Oh way, yes, penguin thread.  Just got back from a three mile lunch time run.  Did a ton of yard work this weekend and all the feels of the separation was hitting me and I was super scatter brained so I used the run to clear my thoughts.

Tomorrow might be tricky depending on what the weather does.  I want to try to do a long-ish run on Wednesday since I haven't done anything over four in ages.

HM - we should start our own netflix series called The Great Penguin Bake Off

Ginny - Enjoy the rest day

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Afternoon!  Off today due to the holiday so got a massage this morning.  It's snowing!  Sad I am not running until the weekend to try a run in the snow.

HopesMom, I cannot do anything other than playing piano with my hands.

Ginny, enjoy the rest.

Lew, nice run.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, I bet you just stand at the window with a happy grin on your face, watching the snow!  Maybe eventually it will be as much of a nuisance as the heat of Miami, but I hope you enjoy it for a while!

I have a massage today, along with a crapton of things to do, so I am spinning plates like a mad woman.  Weights done today, but no biking, because it was indeed pouring the rain.  It's supposed to quit around lunchtime, though, so I shouldn't have to drive home in both dark AND rain, which is good.

I'm off tomorrow, which is part of why I'm galloping around madly today.  And the other part is that that's just how my days go. 

Happy day, Penguins!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I sure did.  How did you know? Big grin

I have another RD.  I might lift weights but I'm sure I'll forget, ha.

HopesMom, enjoy the massage!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - enjoy your massage and spinning plates

D - have fun with the snow and rest days. How does your body feel?

We're supposed to get flurries off and on with temps in the low 30s. I'll run something later. Quite different from yesterday's 64 degrees. I'm glad we went for a walk in the woods yesterday while it was still nice.

Singer who runs a smidge

My table massage was awesome, and now it's pouring down snow!!

lewjeffrey

One of the things I am trying to work through in this separation is that it's ok for me to be happy.  One of the unhealthy dynamics in our marriage is that I rarely felt comfortable doing things for myself or spending money on myself.  For example, if my wife wanted me home from my morning run by 6:00 AM when the kids woke up I'd start my run at 4:00 AM.  (I think I would have done more marathons if I didn't have to wake up at 3:30 for my 20 mile training run, thankfully she was more lenient about what time I needed to be home for that).  Another example is I've always wanted a hot stone massage, but never done it for myself.  Damaris and HopesMom reminded me of this desire and I think I may sign up for one soon. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! RD for me.

Lew, it is not only OK but you deserve to be happy.  It will take time for you to live that but you will.  Hugs  Get a massage; it's worth it!

Ginny, body feels fine and the scabbed knee healed super fast this time (I used one of those healing bandages; next time it's all I'll use).  Hope you got your run in.

HopesMom, yay snow!

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Lew - I hope you get your massage soon. When my husband's first wife left him, at first he was utterly distraught. After a few months, he realized that he enjoyed not living in the state of tension that was the norm at their house. He could relax at last. A few months after that, he realized he was happy. He was hiking every week, he was taking care of himself, he had lost some weight, he wasn't angry all the time. Healing will come, bit by bit, as you get used to the new normal.

D - I'm glad the damage from your falls is healing.

HM - I hope you had a good vacation day.

I ran 8 yesterday in falling snow. Today I'll do another 6. It's not snowing, but the temperature isn't supposed to get much above freezing. BRR. Fortunately, I keep a list of what clothes I wear under various conditions, so at least I don't have to start from scratch figuring it out every year.

lewjeffrey

Damaris - I just saw you are moving to Indy!  I did my undergrad in Muncie, Indiana and was in Bloomington for grad school, but never made it to Indy a ton so I am no expert on the area, but you are into blues music you should check out "Slippery Noodle Inn"  http://www.slipperynoodle.com/ It's indiana's oldest bar and one of the top nightclubs\blues venues in the country.

I was hoping for a lunch time run or after work run, but I'll have to settle for tomorrow morning.  I lost my wallet and it took me forever to find it this morning or else I would have done a morning run.  One of the hardest things about the separation is I feel like my life is very unsettled right now.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ooh, I have not tried that place yet.  Adding it to my list!  I've been here for close to two months, hubby for one.  Loving it.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi folks!  My day off was completely wonderful -- I played video games with DH, practiced piano (yeah, I still suck at that), and made a chai spice pound cake which I then took some of to quartet rehearsal, where it was very well received.  If they won't keep me for my singing, they'll keep me for my baking!

Today is all about making Monday's lecture, faculty meeting, seminar, and then chorus rehearsal tonight.  It was too cold to bike today, but I did weights.  And laundry, getting ready for my upcoming crazy weekend!