Beginners and Beyond

Philadelphia Marathon RR - marathons are hard (and dumb) - pics added to page six (Read 105 times)

DavePNW

I said that too.  But my last one was pretty right.  Only problem is I still want to see if I can run under 3:20.

Yes it was.

In reality I am sure I would be the same. No matter your time, you will always see the ability to cut the next x minutes off. Especially seeing what everyone else around here does. I would probably only stop if I couldn't stay healthy long enough to get through a training cycle.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Yes it was.

In reality I am sure I would be the same. No matter your time, you will always see the ability to cut the next x minutes off. Especially seeing what everyone else around here does. I would probably only stop if I couldn't stay healthy long enough to get through a training cycle.

You say that now... but it doesn't seem to stop me

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

MothAudio

Posted a reply in LNO but just wanted to say nice work! We have to shake it and do some shopping. Will read it when I get a few days off! 

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

B-Plus

Congrats on the huge PR! You are making great progress. Next time, no fade.

Cyberic

No advice from me.

Simple congratulations, and thanks for the RR. Reading what training you put yourself through to reach that time inspires me to keep pushing, and push harder. The fact that you felt very tired, but did not hit the wall is also a fact that I store in my brain's running data warehouse.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You say that now... but it doesn't seem to stop me

Please read the title again (about dumb and all).  We all fall for it, ha.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome job, great PR and fantastic RR!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Julia1971

Excellent race, Baboon!  And, great RR.  Congratulations on the HUGE PR!  Way to fight through the pain at the end.

I hadn't realized your training was so unstructured.  That's pretty awesome that you were just winging it.

I also hadn't realized how popular Philly was until my FB page started lighting up yesterday.  30,000 people is pretty massive.  Glad it wasn't too crowded for you, though.  And, that the crowds were good.

"Whatever…buy a watch, bro. " - LOL!

I've been fading a lot lately at the end of marathons, too, so I'm not one to give advice.  My initial guess would be the standard starting out too fast.  I'm thinking that mostly because it sounds like the first half of the course was harder than the second half due to the hills.  Just a guess. But, sub-3-25 is completely legit.

9 months to a BQ, huh?  I'm going to enjoy watching you train for it.

tinman11

Good job.

Your first marathon in 2011 was the exact same time as my first in November 2011.

You've made significant improvements.  Very inspiring!

I need to step up the training.  But my goal is to break 4 hours.....

Baboon

delicate flower

9 months to a BQ, huh?  I'm going to enjoy watching you train for it.

No, only five months if I want to get in to 2016!  

Realistically, training through the winter, I can probably pick up a few minutes but 9 sounds like kind of a stretch.

<3

DavePNW

Realistically, training through the winter, I can probably pick up a few minutes but 9 sounds like kind of a stretch.

I feel your pain...I need about 11.

Dave

onemile

Are you planning to follow a schedule this time or continue to wing it?

Baboon

delicate flower

Are you planning to follow a schedule this time or continue to wing it?

Either a plan or a coach, but I won't wing it this time.  I lose concentration though when looking over different plans or trying to pick a coach.

<3

DavePNW

Either a plan or a coach, but I won't wing it this time.  I lose concentration though when looking over different plans or trying to pick a coach.

Yeah there are way too many options. And as many people you will ask, you will get that many different opinions. I suppose any one of them would be better than nothing, just a question of picking something. I mainly used one for general schedule & structure of quality/speed workouts, because that was the thing I had no idea how to go about doing. I figured the rest of it is pretty much just logging miles.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Yeah there are way too many options. And as many people you will ask, you will get that many different opinions. I suppose any one of them would be better than nothing, just a question of picking something.

And every one of them is the best.  The best, Jerry!

<3