Beginners and Beyond

Week 43 Penguins are counting their buttons! (10/20-10/26) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Count Your Buttons Day.  I have no idea what it means or why it deserves a day, but why not?  I currently have one button, on my jeans.

It's also Apple Day, which is quite fitting for this time of year.  I made some apple rugelach last night, and finished baking up the last batch this morning.  It's sort of half pie half cookie, where the crust is mostly butter and cream cheese with a little flour to hold it together.  It's a pain to make, but quite yummy.

Turns out the second company who never sent us a quote actually did, and it landed in DH's spam folder.  So I modified my review to include an apology.  The fourth company also came out and gave us a quote, and I suspect we'll end up going with the fourth company, because they're about $150 cheaper than the second company.  I swear we are going to get this project done!

Yoga and biking also got done this morning.  I had a busy morning! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I am wearing no buttons!  Good luck with the repairs.  That reminds me I need to call Serv Pro myself.

I have 4.  Spent the weekend with a cold, gah.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, DH wanted to go with the second company, which was more expensive, because they had a written quote and a more complete plan on how to handle everything.  Which is fine, I just want to get it DONE!

Then I also have an instrument down at work which has been down for MONTHS now, mostly because the company does not sell this instrument any more and I'm not on service contract, so they're dragging their feet mightily.  Now they've decided that the only way to fix it is to have an engineer onsite, for a $9k PO, so I've just bumped that up my food chain to see if I can get the money.  That's going to be a fun discussion.

Then I have another problem with the analysis software of a different instrument, and I can't get that company to answer my questions and fix the software because they can't find a record that I own the software.  Regardless of the fact that I've been calling them for support for this software off and on for five years.

Here's what I hate, loathe, and despise about my job:  Every day I come in and I go to war.  I've been coming in every day and going to war for over 10 years now.  I am tired of fighting, and every single day requires a battle of some kind.

Yoga done.  No biking because it's supposed to rain all day.

A couple of months ago I looked at my leave balance and realized I could take a day off twice a month and still end the year with close to four weeks of leave accrued.  So I am taking sanity days, and luckily tomorrow is a sanity day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 5.

HopesMom, it rained all day here so it seems it went to you.  You're welcome.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - sorry you're having to fight on so many fronts. Hopefully the day off helped restore your serenity. That and the rugelach. I love rugelach.

We're back after 8 days camping in VA and W. Va. We were out leaf peeping, but were a bit too early for the Shenandoahs and Blue Ridge. West Virginia was better - absolutely gorgeous. No running but a few short hikes which were lovely.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Got the estimate for the repairs of the house from my insurance and it's $36K FFS.  Crazy!

Ran 6 with strides.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, glad camping was good!!  Docket, that's absolutely crazy!!

We went hiking yesterday, on a hike that apparently was a bit beyond my capability level, and aggravated Dusty's arthritis as well.  So he and I are gimping around today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That's beautiful!  Sorry for the gimping.

I ran 6 with strides last night.  Really didn't want to run but forced myself to and felt better after that.  I think being alone here has finally gotten to me.  Fortunately, hubby is coming in for real this weekend (I have to drive with him though).  Things will start becoming more normal now.

I have 8 tonight if I can muster myself to go, ha.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - I'm glad you're going to be reunited with your husband finally. Did he have to wait to start the new job or was he finishing out his contract? I'm sure the cats will be happy to have another lap too.

HM - sorry you're hurting, but I'm glad you got to enjoy a beautiful hike.

I ran 6 yesterday and will probably do the same today. I'm still stiff from taking time off, but it should get better soon.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

He hasn't decided on a job here yet (his license is being held up by a good standing in PR, FFS, they take forever), so he is coming already because he can't stand being alone, lol.  They are actually offering him to stay working for the FL hospital as a supervisor for the NPs remotely until they can do someone's accreditation so he might be working part-time on that from home.  Nice 6.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey, Penguins.  I'm still pretty sore, so no biking or yoga this morning.  I might go for a walk later, if my calves don't depart my body in protest.  I got my flu shot yesterday, and hiking across campus to the other building was an adventure.  I also couldn't lead physical warm-ups last night at chorus, because I'm too sore to dance!  But this, too, shall pass. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have an RD as I'm traveling to Miami to pick Richard up.

HopesMom, hope your soreness goes away soon.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

D - safe travels. At least you won't have to worry about the cats in the car this time.

HM - have restful weekend. I hope your aches and pains ease up quickly.

I'm not sure whether I'm running or not today. I need the rest, since my legs are a bit stiff, but it is supposed to rain this weekend so I'd rather run while it's just gray instead of pouring.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, but after the house flooding, I will now worry about a fire or another flooding instead, lol.  Maybe I should hire a cat sitter, ha.

Damaris