Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 48 times)

DavePNW

I have zero desire to pace a marathon at any pace by the way. Less than zero actually.

I could pace people to a death march, I'd be really good at that.

Dave

LRB

It must suck to be a pacer, as from what I heard, most of them finish alone. But they are useful.

It's actually pretty cool, I've enjoyed it each time. The events have to line up with your training and racing schedule but it's something I would recommend if a person were interested and offered the opportunity.

LRB

I think I could responsibly pace I half, at least I could if I could ever get back to feeling 100% again, but I can't even fathom pacing a marathon.

Still not quite there huh? Did you ever get the foot thing figured out?

onemile

I have zero desire to pace a marathon at any pace by the way. Less than zero actually.

I've thought about it but I don't think I have the right personality for it. I can run even splits but I can't make conversations or tell stories.

LRB

I've thought about it but I don't think I have the right personality for it. I can run even splits but I can't make conversations or tell stories.

I do not do that when pacing. I just point out aid stations and which side of the road they're on, mile markers and that's pretty much it. Understanding that while I'm running easy, everyone else is actually racing!

I ran with pacers for my first half marathon (before I faded at mile 7.5 because I was undertrained ) and they were annoying as hell with all that yuk, yuk, yuk good cheer shit.

Some people like that but I do not, and always said if I ever paced I wouldn't do that, and I didn't.

outoftheblue

Still not quite there huh? Did you ever get the foot thing figured out?

No.  After seeing 2 foot doctors, I was at the point where I would have needed to spend $1,000+ out of pocket for MRI to have any better sense of what was wrong.   I've found that as long as I keep the miles and pace down, I am fine, but any type of speed work, or longer runs set me back.  I usually take the last week or so of the year off of running, I'm thinking I might extend that to a month this year and see if that helps.

I'm not sure at this point if I'll ever be able to race again.

Life is good.

LRB

No.  After seeing 2 foot doctors, I was at the point where I would have needed to spend $1,000+ out of pocket for MRI to have any better sense of what was wrong.   I've found that as long as I keep the miles and pace down, I am fine, but any type of speed work, or longer runs set me back.  I usually take the last week or so of the year off of running, I'm thinking I might extend that to a month this year and see if that helps.

Dammit. Sometimes extreme issues require extreme measures, so maybe the extra time off will help. It's good to hear that you don't have to give up the sport altogether though. Although that might be of little consolation.

Baboon

delicate flower

20 done on the tri bike.  Two days riding in a row...that's some sort of world record for me.

<3

workinprogress11

I didn't realize you were having these issues. I'm sorry to hear that.

When my knee was doing whatever the hell it was doing around 18 months ago I had the same deal where I could run distances about 5 miles or shorter slowly but any attempt at speed or extra distance was a no go. I just rode with that for a while and it eventually kind of worked itself out.  I never had an MRI but did get several cortisone shots which may or may not have helped. I hope your foot decides to work itself out too!

LRB

20 done on the tri bike.  Two days riding in a row...that's some sort of world record for me.

Is this marathon recovery or triathlon training? THE INTERNET WANTS TO KNOW.

Baboon

delicate flower

Is this marathon recovery or triathlon training? THE INTERNET WANTS TO KNOW.

Yes, it is!!

Specifically, this is "need to get used to the new bike" training.  My legs don't feel like I ran a marathon two days ago.

<3

onemile

I hate all of you people who say 'my legs don't feel like a I ran a race'.  ALL OF YOU.

Baboon

delicate flower

Regarding the pace group discussion, word is the pacers were instructed to pace off gun time instead of chip time and to try to get their groups into Boston instead of just the advertised pace group time.  So, pacers went out trying to bank 2-3 extra minutes plus they had to make up the gap between gun and chip.  Incredibly stupid way to pace a group.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

I hate all of you people who say 'my legs don't feel like a I ran a race'.  ALL OF YOU.

I wish my legs hurt more.  I'm not surprised they don't since I basically ran 26.2 miles at my LR pace.

<3

LRB

Preach!