Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES (Read 48 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Regarding the pace group discussion, word is the pacers were instructed to pace off gun time instead of chip time and to try to get their groups into Boston instead of just the advertised pace group time.  So, pacers went out trying to bank 2-3 extra minutes plus they had to make up the gap between gun and chip.  Incredibly stupid way to pace a group.

I thought Boston qualifying was off of your chip time?  So they shouldn't have had to worry about making up the gun time.  I dunno.

I've heard of pacers who were trying to help people BQ, but they would let the group know the plan.  I've also seen pace groups that were a couple of minutes ahead of the BQ cutoffs for that purpose, then there's no mystery.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Baboon

delicate flower

I thought Boston qualifying was off of your chip time?  So they shouldn't have had to worry about making up the gun time.  I dunno.

I've heard of pacers who were trying to help people BQ, but they would let the group know the plan.  I've also seen pace groups that were a couple of minutes ahead of the BQ cutoffs for that purpose, then there's no mystery.

I ran miles 15-22 with scrape. in the New Jersey Marathon earlier this year.  He was a 3:15 pacer.  They were told to shoot for just under the advertised pace.  He also encouraged people to go ahead if they could, understanding that 3:15 may not be enough to get into Boston.  He brought his group across in 3:14:30 and there were seven or eight of them.  Textbook.

<3

DavePNW

Regarding the pace group discussion, word is the pacers were instructed to pace off gun time instead of chip time and to try to get their groups into Boston instead of just the advertised pace group time.  So, pacers went out trying to bank 2-3 extra minutes plus they had to make up the gap between gun and chip.  Incredibly stupid way to pace a group.

That is for sure dumb to pace off gun time, and I'm pretty sure still doesn't explain these things.

3:10 pacer ran 3:02 

3:20 pacer ran the first 10K at 3:09 pace.

Dave

Zelanie

IMO pacers are there not just for their group but as a yardstick for everybody else to get a sense of where they are at different points in the race. At Portland I know the pacers each do 1/2 rather than trying to get somebody to pace the full. And they have course -customized pace targets. That still doesn't explain why the 4:10 pacer went out at bat out of hell pace.

DavePNW

Ha. The pics from my race yesterday are up already, after 24 hours. Still no sign of my marathon pics from a month ago.

Dave

From the Internet.

I hate all of you people who say 'my legs don't feel like a I ran a race'.  ALL OF YOU.

My legs feel like I ran a race and it was only a 5K!

Recap of today's run: ow my legs, okay this is fine, oh god my whole body is so hungry and tired, ahh there's my house.

DavePNW

Recap of today's run: ow my legs, okay this is fine, oh god my whole body is so hungry and tired, ahh there's my house.

Excellent. This is what all race reports should look like.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Dude, this Astros/Royals game is nuts.

<3

Ric-G

Yes. This exactly. When I ran in ventura earlier in the year, the advertised pace times on the website were a couple minutes faster than bq times. of course, that didn't matter as final bq times vary each year.

I would never want to be a pacer either as my own pacing sucks. But some these guys/gals doing it are great.

marathon pr - 3:16

Cyberic

I agree. That is totally screwed up.

Most of us own a Garmin or other brand of GPS device though. The pacer in my marathon was very useful to me, but I would never have tried to follow him if he had gone out too fast. I'm confident I would have succeeded without him (although I'l never really know). Racers trying to follow a bad pacer deserve their share of the blame if they fail.

DavePNW

Dude, this Astros/Royals game is nuts.

Goddamn job. I can't be watching baseball when I've got all this work to do! He exclaims as he posts on an internet forum.

Dave

LRB

Still no sign of my marathon pics from a month ago.

Baboon

delicate flower

Goddamn job. I can't be watching baseball when I've got all this work to do! He exclaims as he posts on an internet forum.

Bruh, Astros broke it open into a 6-2 lead in the 7th.  I figured the game was over and was about to switch to the other game, but then KC came up in the 8th with hit after hit after hit then a botched grounder and it's 6-6 now and KC is still up with men on.

<3

Hip Redux

cjones1

I hate all of you people who say 'my legs don't feel like a I ran a race'.  ALL OF YOU.

YES!!  I walked like a zombie for a week after my last half.  Half, not full.  Half.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)