Beginners and Beyond

Mitten Run 5K RR - my 50th race (Read 62 times)

delicate flower

This was my 50th race since I started running, unlike scottydog who ran 50 races last week.  Coming two weeks after my marathon, I didn't really know what to expect.  I was pretty sure I could PR on fresh legs, but I'm probably still not fully recovered from the marathon, though my legs do feel ok.  Today was my first hard run since the marathon.  I went in hoping to PR (20:42).  This was my only 5K of the year and only chance to PR.  I ran one the day after a hard 20 miler so that doesn't count (I had no chance), and I ran three others that were trail races.  I told DW that 25 minutes today would have been fine too.  I'd have no complaints after the year I had, and if my legs didn't feel it today, so be it.

Race time weather was sunny and 32 degrees, with wind gusts of 30+ mph and wind chills of around 20.  The wind was cold.  I wore tights (first time this year), thick top with tech shirt over it, fleece hat, gloves.  I thought of wearing my jacket, but Oski snagged a parking spot near the starting line so I dumped my coat in her car.  Race started right at 10:30.

Mile 1:  6:36.  I kept it dialed back and ran comfortably hard.  There is enough gentle uphill in this race to make you feel it and it's almost all in the first half, so I wanted to run "easy" (for a 5K) for the first half.  Mile 1 brought no 5K race pain.  I was in control and not breathing too hard.  Lots of race left though.

Mile 2:  6:32.  I got through the inclines feeling good.  I was surprised at the fast pace.  The course turned into the wind and I tucked in behind two runners.  Thanks, guys.  From what I remember of 5K's, I should be in a world of hurt right now.  I wasn't though.  The Garmin buzzed for mile 2.  Hammer time.

Mile 3:  6:18.  This was a one mile PR for me.  I was feeling really strong was flying past people.  I am not used to that in a 5K.  One after another.  I don't think I was passed once the final mile.  I knew I had a nice PR brewing here.  Finally at mile 2.9 I thought, "This sucks and it needs to end."

Final .1:  6:49 pace.  I coasted into the finish.  Clock read 20:22.  Official time was 20:18, good for a 24 second PR.  Freakin NICE.

I think I went out too "comfortably."  Seems to me I should have been hurting a lot more a lot sooner.  I don't know if I had a sub-20 in me today, but I think I could have squeezed another 10 seconds or so out of this race, not that it really matters.  Being inexperienced in the 5K makes it tough to know how to race it.  This race was a really nice finish to what's been a great year.  I've set PR's in the marathon twice, HM twice, 10K twice, and now the 5K.

20:18

24 second PR

M40-44 7/86

OA 63/1817

DW ran this as well, as did Oski in her first race back from hip surgery.  It's it just awesome to have the whole gang running again instead of having folks on the sidelines.  Smile

No race shirt.  Hats today.  Pretty cool!

<3

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice! Right after a marathon?! VERY nice! I think you are correct in that you could have gone out a bit faster, but racing so soon after a marathon, you are forgiven this time. The sub 20 will be next and with some specific 5k training a time closer to 19 won't be far off. Too bad all these marathons keep getting in the way. That is a sweet hat. I would much rather have that than a shirt. Well done, Baboon.

From the Internet.

Sweet! Even if today wasn't the day for it, I bet you've got sub-20 in you for sure when you're not in marathon recovery mode. Congrats on the PR, and I like the race hat! Smile

LRB

Nice job yo! 6:18 is one helluva split for the last mile, you should be very proud of that!

I am not exactly sure you should have been hurting sooner. Hurt too soon in a 5k and your splits could have been the exact opposite, or worse.

That said we are all different so continue to find and do what works best for you.

Very impressive Boon, you are definitely on the rise in our sport!

LRB

Oh, and I have no idea how many races I have run. 

delicate flower

Thanks, gang!

Oh, and I have no idea how many races I have run. 

I only noticed this the other day while viewing my Athlinks profile.  It said I had 44 races, plus I have four relay races and a low-tech 5K that doesn't appear.  Today makes 50.  

<3

LRB

Thanks, gang!

I only noticed this the other day while viewing my Athlinks profile.  It said I had 44 races, plus I have four relay races and a low-tech 5K that doesn't appear.  Today makes 50.  

It is interesting, I will have to tally mine up someday.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats on a speedy race!  You have not done much specialized 5K training lately, imagine what you can run if you do!

Damaris

PADRunner

Nice race!

delicate flower

Congrats on a speedy race!  You have not done much specialized 5K training lately, imagine what you can run if you do!

Good point.  I have done two true speed workouts in the last three months.

<3

Just friggin' awesome.

Certainly the sky's the limit if you do some more 5k-specific training. But I'm not so surprised that you did this so quickly after your marathon. Your legs seemed to bounce back right away. And having that peak fitness level from marathon training is gold for any race distance. Gold, Jerry.

Great job.

Dave

hog4life

Congrats on the Bogan and that's a nice PR too!

Cool tuque/winter hat/boggan/head-covering warm thingy!

Grats on the awesome year, Boon.  Good to hear that Oski is racing again, and you totally have a sub-20 in your future.

workinprogress11

You have had an awesome year!  Congratulations on the PR. I am interested to see what 2015 brings.

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on the PR, especially so soon after your marathon.  Very impressive.