Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Back to Business (Read 37 times)

RunningOnSand

That's a big ass track!

That's what I was thinking, too! Bigger than a typical track.

We have no tracks that are typical track size. At least that I'm allowed to use.

LRB

Good morning! Today is another 2 cup of coffee kind of a day here. Luckily, it is warming up (it was 21*F when I woke up this morning!) and the sun is even shining. But cherub #3 is still sick, so no run for me, again.

Blue, have you always been exhausted? Or is this something new?

There's a new indoor track near to us, and it's 9 laps to a mile. I'm considering joining.

I'm not even sure how I would go about tracking it (distance or time) but it will be an adventure for sure!

RunningOnSand

I'm not even sure how I would go about tracking it (distance or time) but it will be an adventure for sure!

Yeah, I'd think I'd need to know what the measurement around the track would be ? Otherwise the not knowing would drive me crazy, lol.

Cyberic

There's a new indoor track near to us, and it's 9 laps to a mile. I'm considering joining.

That's roughly the same size track I go to. Not perfect, but it's convenient for me.

Cyberic

To me, a foot pod becomes a necessity because I've tried counting laps but I keep losing track, and it sucks to have to manually calculate the whole thing afterwards and enter than in your log. Sometimes I'll do workouts where I go, say, 3 laps on, 2 laps off, and I'll manually press lap when necessary. I can then calculate exactly my pace because I know the track's length, but whatever my foot pod calculated is good enough for my log. A friend of mine doesn't even care about the pace or distance. He always trains at that same track, so he knows his seconds per lap for intervals, tempos, and so on. Sometimes he'll use the charts someone taped on the wall for conversion between seconds per lap and pace, but most of the time he's content with seconds per lap. He also has a foot pod for his log.

onemile

That's what I was thinking, too! Bigger than a typical track.

We have no tracks that are typical track size. At least that I'm allowed to use.

It goes around a 400m speed skating oval - the inside lane is 443m

LRB

I WANT.

sdWhiskers

Is it nice and cold in there? Looks lovely.

onemile

Is it nice and cold in there? Looks lovely.

yeah it's a perfect 50 degrees. Sometimes I even go there in the summer when I'm fed up with track workouts in the humidity

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is an awesome track. The ones I've run in have been 13 laps to a mile.  I checked for Indy indoor tracks near my house and couldn't find any nice ones; just super small like the one I had in Miami but I suspect the AC won't be at 74F like they did in the Miami one, FFS.

Damaris

onemile

the only complaint I have is that track teams from local HS and colleges practice there sometimes and do workouts in big packs so you have to stay in the outer lanes or get trampled.  But usually by the time I get through my warmup they leave

LRB

To me, a foot pod becomes a necessity because I've tried counting laps but I keep losing track, and it sucks to have to manually calculate the whole thing afterwards and enter than in your log. Sometimes I'll do workouts where I go, say, 3 laps on, 2 laps off, and I'll manually press lap when necessary. I can then calculate exactly my pace because I know the track's length, but whatever my foot pod calculated is good enough for my log. A friend of mine doesn't even care about the pace or distance. He always trains at that same track, so he knows his seconds per lap for intervals, tempos, and so on. Sometimes he'll use the charts someone taped on the wall for conversion between seconds per lap and pace, but most of the time he's content with seconds per lap. He also has a foot pod for his log.

Back during my first winter I couldn't keep track of laps on an outdoor track, so I totally feel you on that! It was ridiculous, I'd do fine initially, then as it progressed I'd eventually zone out and suddenly have no idea which lap I was in or left off on. This happened during. every. single. run. 

Cyberic

What is the surface like? Is it painted cement, or does it have a rubberized surface? Looks incredible!

DavePNW

Speaking of work pissing me off, the plan after the Space Coast Marathon was to spend three days bopping around Universal Studios and I was very much looking forward to that.  Yesterday I was informed that I am needed back in the office Monday afternoon, so my Universal plans are now cancelled.  I hate this job lately.

I didn't think anyone's job could suck more than mine, but Baboon seems to be a worthy competitor. I've sacrificed lots of weekends and even some holidays, but I don't think I've ever been asked to cancel a vacation.

Dave

DavePNW

Oh yeah, I ran 8 miles and it was kind of a grind.

Dave