Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Back to Business (Read 37 times)

DavePNW

I actually don't mind when larger races mail you stuff. It's difficult to organize award presentations, and if they're not run extremely well, you end up waiting around for ever. I'd rather see big races just recognize overall podium finishers, and then mail out the rest later. Cincinnati marathon does it that way, which is where I've experienced it, and I'm more than happy to have the award come in the mail.

Different mindset for me. If I can't take it home on race day, don't even bother (unless it's something really nice). I'm not crazy about the waiting around either, but sometimes they'll let you pick it up as soon as they have the results, in advance of any actual presentations.

Dave

DavePNW

Even better if the reason they mail the awards are because they are customized with your name/finish time.

Ha, that qualifies as "something really nice".

Dave

onemile

Different mindset for me. If I can't take it home on race day, don't even bother (unless it's something really nice). I'm not crazy about the waiting around either, but sometimes they'll let you pick it up as soon as they have the results, in advance of any actual presentations.

I have been mailed gift certs (3x), a keychain (madison marathon AG award), customized plaques/tiles with my finish time (fox cities half).  I have never been mailed a generic cheap medal which is the AG award I don't want.

DavePNW

I have been mailed gift certs (3x), a keychain (madison marathon AG award), customized plaques/tiles with my finish time (fox cities half).  I have never been mailed a generic cheap medal which is the AG award I don't want.

Yeah you've gotten some nice stuff, I assume much of that courtesy of OA placings, something I'll never have to worry about.

Dave

From the Internet.

Easy miles with strides today. AM track workout/noon easy shakeout yesterday. It is TOO COLD here, I am not looking forward to a whole season of this 

LRB

Easy miles with strides today. AM track workout/noon easy shakeout yesterday. It is TOO COLD here, I am not looking forward to a whole season of this 

#suckcity

Baboon

delicate flower

Part 2 of my double is done.  3 x 10:00 tempo.  Fantastic run.

<3

KCRuns

That's a nice way to end the day! 

LRB

Indeed. I can't even figure out where the tempo ends and begins! 30 minutes straight T is some otherworldly shit. AG awards my eye, you might just go win the damn thing!

Baboon

delicate flower

Indeed. I can't even figure out where the tempo ends and begins! 30 minutes straight T is some otherworldly shit. AG awards my eye, you might just go win the damn thing!

I need to turn off the auto-lap when I do intervals longer than a mile.  Even when I program the workout (which I always do), it still laps every full mile.

<3

DavePNW

I need to turn off the auto-lap when I do intervals longer than a mile.  Even when I program the workout (which I always do), it still laps every full mile.

That's kind of weird, I don't think mine does that.

And JHC on that workout.

Dave

LRB

If I turn off auto lap then run an interval for 1.75 miles, the watch will not show a split for the 1 mile portion, but the log will once the run is uploaded.

There was a time when I could program a workout for time and the watch would only show a split for the entirety of the time interval. For instance, running easy for 30 minutes then doing 10 minute intervals would show the easy portion at let's say 3.2 miles and then the pace for that distance at 30 minutes. There wasn't any mile splits in the log, just the total of everything. Something changed somewhere along the way and that is not the case anymore...as far as I know.

GinnyinPA

Every race I've done has said that if you aren't at the awards ceremony, you don't get the award. It's too much trouble to mail them. I've missed 3 from races in a town south of us. The first two times I didn't realize that I had won until later. Their ceremonies are slow and don't start until about 1/2 hour after I've finished and in winter I'm not waiting around in the cold. Their trophies are very generic/ugly, so I didn't bother going to the pub where I could have picked them up later. Gettysburg was good because they start the ceremony early, usually before I've even finished running, and it goes quickly. They have a computer where you can find out as soon as you're done what your placement is, then walk over to the prize table and pick up your AG award.

I ran 6.6 miles this afternoon. It was 42, so I was able to run in long sleeves without a jacket. I should have had gloves for the first 3 miles though.

LRB

I don't have a hard stance when it comes to race awards. If their policy is to mail them, cool. See ya, I'm out. If they hand them out after the race, I just want the results posted ASAP to know if I should hang around or not.

I won some bling at a race during marathon weekend at Detroit once and their policy was to verify times first so they weren't handing out shit after the race which is completely understandable.

One year, at the Red Carpet Run I think, I left before the awards ceremony and was notified by email that I had won. They held it at the running store and I drove all the way back over there and got it. (it was a miniature milk bottle lol )

I have received a half dozen or so awards in the mail mostly because here, every race goes 3 deep and sometimes 5 deep so the chances are good you'll place. The past couple of years I haven't really been racing all out so I usually leave the event immediately and on occasion, get something cool in the mail weeks later. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

7 on the treadmill and strength training.