Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES - April showers > cold March rain (Read 34 times)

Cyberic

Ah. So you're giving us your weather. Wink

It's usually the other way around (I get your weather) but the wind was on the wrong side this morning ( NE instead of the usual W or NW ).

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi. It’s been awhile. All good?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Spring is finally here, so yes... 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

new phone who dis?

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I just remembered, I've got to pick up sticks and limbs from our yard today so DH can mow this weekend....... freaking place looks like a tree shed all of it's limbs. Was thinking about taking Dorian in the stroller for a run after picking him up from school, but I should really pick up the limbs, while making sure Jetta doesn't grab them out of the wheel barrow and take off with them 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

new phone who dis?

Klompus.

I've been running in shorts exclusively for 2 weeks now.  My laundry is so much smaller!  Although, the overnight lows here have been around 58, which is not terrible, but I would be ok with colder.

I had a shitfuck of a workout Friday, it was supposed to be 4 @ MP, 5 minute jog, then 4 @ HMP.  Everything went fine except the HMP was truly garbage on a stick.  I suppose there's got to be a shitty workout in every cycle, so hopefully this was it.  Potentially the confluence of 4 hours sleep after cleaning the house, and my stupid lack of route planning so the HMP miles were all uphill may have had something to do with that misery.

Anyway, yesterday was 4 easy, 4 alternating 90 seconds hard/jog, then 4 more easy.  Today was 6 plus 10x10 hill sprints.  My ankle is bothering me more than normal, I should probably get that looked at, but I almost don't want to know what's wrong with it.

Oh, and in the land of harassment of female runners, I've had 2 encounters since last Saturday.  It's been a blessedly dry spell without catcalling, honking, throwing of objects, or other jackassery.  I had chalked this up to 1) Now that I'm old, no one feels the need to yell at me about my boobies, and 2) I live in such a wonderfully safe and enlightened part of the country.  NOPE.

Last Saturday I was approaching a guy headed the opposite way on the sidewalk, I swung my trajectory out so he wouldn't have to step sideways to avoid me (I'm polite yo), but he went the same direction.  OK, that happens, we both guess the same, so I wove over the other way.  He moves to be in front of me again.  It got really weird, and I realized he was intentionally blocking my path, then he started yelling incomprehensibly at me when I was about 5 feet away.  I kind of hopped at the last minute to get out of his way--he made it difficult, at which point yelled "I'll choke you" RIGHT IN MY EAR, like I felt the hot breath and spit on my ear and neck.  I was totally shocked and just kept going, as he screamed "you and your piggy face" at my back.  There was probably a full sentence there, but it was garbled.  I turned down a street and wove around to be sure he wasn't following me (he wasn't), but it scared the living shit out of me.

Fast forward to yesterday, I'm on the bike path (not a bike lane, a full two direction path for pedestrians and cyclists), way over to the right shoulder--again, I'm polite and try to give plenty of space to the cyclists.  I heard a couple guys kind of being loud behind me, I heard one yell, "ok, at the same time," then they proceed to go past on either side of me--like inches--the guy on the left hit me with his elbow I think, although it could have been his hand--and both yell in unison into my ears as they go by.  There's a male runner about 100 yards ahead of me, they pass him without any comment.  Of course.

I'm so irritated.  This shit has not been an issue for me for years, and now this.  And there's nothing I can do but put up with it.  The police can't help, I can't describe those bikers at all other than "one mountain bike, one fat tire bike, two assholes," and intimidation isn't illegal.  The weirdo in my neighborhood I will keep an eye out for, but again, what can the police do, even if they could find him?  Nothing.  He didn't do anything that's against the law.  It's incredibly stupid for me to try any physical retaliation, I'm 5'4" and besides wanting to continue to be able to run, I like my face as is.  Anyway, in case you were wondering, fucktardedness is alive and well in liberal California, where everyone is supposed to be all enlightened and chill.  Disappointing.

DavePNW

Klompus.

Yeah I am giving you shit.  Where u been?

Dave

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Yeah I am giving you shit.  Where u been?

LMAO!! Life got in the way. Mom got sick and it was bad. Kids graduating college and high school, FIL died, work stuff, just life. I still used the calendar and stuff here but I haven’t been socially active. I have missed this fun group.

onemile

I've been running in shorts exclusively for 2 weeks now.  My laundry is so much smaller!  Although, the overnight lows here have been around 58, which is not terrible, but I would be ok with colder.

I had a shitfuck of a workout Friday, it was supposed to be 4 @ MP, 5 minute jog, then 4 @ HMP.  Everything went fine except the HMP was truly garbage on a stick.  I suppose there's got to be a shitty workout in every cycle, so hopefully this was it.  Potentially the confluence of 4 hours sleep after cleaning the house, and my stupid lack of route planning so the HMP miles were all uphill may have had something to do with that misery.

Anyway, yesterday was 4 easy, 4 alternating 90 seconds hard/jog, then 4 more easy.  Today was 6 plus 10x10 hill sprints.  My ankle is bothering me more than normal, I should probably get that looked at, but I almost don't want to know what's wrong with it.

Oh, and in the land of harassment of female runners, I've had 2 encounters since last Saturday.  It's been a blessedly dry spell without catcalling, honking, throwing of objects, or other jackassery.  I had chalked this up to 1) Now that I'm old, no one feels the need to yell at me about my boobies, and 2) I live in such a wonderfully safe and enlightened part of the country.  NOPE.

Last Saturday I was approaching a guy headed the opposite way on the sidewalk, I swung my trajectory out so he wouldn't have to step sideways to avoid me (I'm polite yo), but he went the same direction.  OK, that happens, we both guess the same, so I wove over the other way.  He moves to be in front of me again.  It got really weird, and I realized he was intentionally blocking my path, then he started yelling incomprehensibly at me when I was about 5 feet away.  I kind of hopped at the last minute to get out of his way--he made it difficult, at which point yelled "I'll choke you" RIGHT IN MY EAR, like I felt the hot breath and spit on my ear and neck.  I was totally shocked and just kept going, as he screamed "you and your piggy face" at my back.  There was probably a full sentence there, but it was garbled.  I turned down a street and wove around to be sure he wasn't following me (he wasn't), but it scared the living shit out of me.

Fast forward to yesterday, I'm on the bike path (not a bike lane, a full two direction path for pedestrians and cyclists), way over to the right shoulder--again, I'm polite and try to give plenty of space to the cyclists.  I heard a couple guys kind of being loud behind me, I heard one yell, "ok, at the same time," then they proceed to go past on either side of me--like inches--the guy on the left hit me with his elbow I think, although it could have been his hand--and both yell in unison into my ears as they go by.  There's a male runner about 100 yards ahead of me, they pass him without any comment.  Of course.

I'm so irritated.  This shit has not been an issue for me for years, and now this.  And there's nothing I can do but put up with it.  The police can't help, I can't describe those bikers at all other than "one mountain bike, one fat tire bike, two assholes," and intimidation isn't illegal.  The weirdo in my neighborhood I will keep an eye out for, but again, what can the police do, even if they could find him?  Nothing.  He didn't do anything that's against the law.  It's incredibly stupid for me to try any physical retaliation, I'm 5'4" and besides wanting to continue to be able to run, I like my face as is.  Anyway, in case you were wondering, fucktardedness is alive and well in liberal California, where everyone is supposed to be all enlightened and chill.  Disappointing.

I'd rather deal with coyotes 

DavePNW

LM - wow I am sorry about all this shit, that really sucks. People are the worst.

Now that I'm old,

#1 you are most certainly not old, #2 when you are, I wish I could tell you that makes a difference to creepers.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, LM.

Dave, I know age is a factor for serial killers when choosing a victim so us older chicks have that going for us.

Damaris

onemile

I ran 6. The first 3 miles felt awful - the arches of my feet hurting a lot and I felt kind of dizzy and like I might pass out. I thought about cutting it short but then I started feeling normal again and the last 3 were fine 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LM where you from? I’m also in liberal California.

LM where you from? I’m also in liberal California.

Irvine.  Allegedly, and repeatedly ranked as, the safest city in America over 100,000 people.  But lately it's been getting not so great.

Ugh, LM.

Dave, I know age is a factor for serial killers when choosing a victim so us older chicks have that going for us.

Hahaha!  My husband helpfully told me last year that I didn't need to worry about becoming a victim of sex trafficking at my age.  I was initially pissed off (What do you mean I'm too old for sex trafficking?  Outrage!), and after I realized I was clearly crazy, quite relieved that at least one violent crime has hit its expiration date.

But Dave, you make an excellent point, that I made to hubs yesterday.  "Sexual" harassment is about targeting someone because of gender, it's not about "sexy."  It's about power.  I got hassled by bike dudes because I'm a woman, and therefore a target for whatever stupid reason.  The man ahead of me was not a target because he is not a woman.  They didn't remark on my anatomy, didn't grope me, didn't make yucky comments about getting intimate with me.  They just intentionally did something to make me be afraid and feel unsafe because I'm female and they can get away with it and that's some kind of fucked up sport for them.

New rule: real cyclists are nice, and although not generally friendly, leave you alone.  Fat tire and mt bikers on a paved trail = assholes.