Beginners and Beyond

Canada Army Run HM, a race report (Read 69 times)

happylily

On September 21st, I ran the 7th edition of the Army Run HM. It was also my 4th time doing the race. It has grown from 7,000 participants in the inaugural race in 2008, to a little more than 25,000 this year. Maybe one of the biggest races in Canada and certainly one of the most loved.

This is how the race website presents the Army Run:

From the cannon used as a “starter’s pistol” to the “dog-tag” medals soldiers place around all participants necks at the finish line, this unique event is “military” from start to finish. More than anything, though, Canada Army Run, is about Canadians and the Canadian Armed Forces – Air Force, Army, and Navy – joining together in the spirit of camaraderie and community. It’s a chance for the troops to extend the military esprit de corps to Canadians and to thank them for their support. And, it’s an opportunity for Canadians to say thanks to the men and women who serve them in so many ways at home and abroad.

It is a race full of army pride

A race which celebrates our injured soldiers

A race filled with Canadian dignitaries (here, Rick Hansen, Canadian paralympian and hero, shakes hands with Governor General David Johnston. The Governor's wife, Sharon, seen on the left, has won her AG in the 5k race in the past. On the right is Laureen Harper, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's wife. She also ran the 5k this year. We are very low-key about these things in Canada and honestly, I would not recognize Mrs Harper if I saw her walking alone in the streets. But I WOULD recognize Michelle Obama. )

And here is Justin Trudeau the leader of the Liberal party and Canadian pretty boy, son of a famous Prime Minister of the past, Pierre Trudeau. He ran a 24:24 5k on Sunday. You can do better, young Justin. But good on you for being there,  you pretty thing. .

It's also a race which showcases the beauty of our capital, Ottawa, and also that of the city of Gatineau, on the Quebec border. The race runs through two provinces, separated by a river, the Ottawa River. We must run on two bridges during the race.

Looking somewhat British

In the fall

I hate winter, but in Ottawa, winter is pretty.

In the summer

The National Gallery of Canada, one of my favourite places to visit. Plus, I love spiders. They live all over my house. 

THE COURSE AND THE WEATHER

It was unusually warm that morning, especially compared to last year which had been 48*F. It was already 75*F at 8 a.m. (the start of the 5k. The HM would start at 9:30 a.m.) and the humidity was 86%. It was cloudy, thankfully, with a threat of impending rain.

The course is described as flat, but actually has a few elevations, especially in the city of Gatineau and in the last few miles. It is also very twisty, which makes the race interesting as it breaks the monotony and each stretch in the two cities offers something new to look at. Part of it, beginning at the 15k mark, runs through the estate of the official residence of the Governor General, the Queen's representative in Canada. Really cool. (This will make my separatist -just a guess, here - compatriot, Cy, choke. Sorry Eric. )

MY GOAL

The Hansons plan I am presently following does not call for any time trial races, and so my idea was to keep training as usual and run the HM at marathon pace minus 10 seconds. I had already done 6 miles at tempo pace earlier in the week and 15 miles on Friday night, including 10 at goal marathon pace. Without any sort of taper, I knew that a true HM effort was out of reach and I aimed instead for a good workout in a festive environment. It's a rare thing for me to treat a race this way. I enjoyed not having any pressure on me. I decided to try to stay between 7:30 and 7:40 mpm. This would bring me a sub-1:40. Not a PR, but at least a course PR and a good workout.

MY RACE

I placed myself behind the 1:40:00 pacer, but I had already decided to go by feel and not by Garmin or pace bunny. There was a long series of official speeches (made longer by the fact that everything must be done in both French and English here. That is why Canadians are so patient. ), I actually quite enjoyed all the ceremonial stuff. II you are not into fanfare, patriotism and tradition, then you won't like this race. I hugged my SO across the barrier one last time and when my corral started moving forward, I looked up at the sky and decided that nothing but good vibes would come out of this day. I was a runner, in a sea of runners, and things were good, no matter what. Sometimes, that's all that should matter and it is quite enough. I walked in front of a spectator whom I recognized to be the military padre who had blessed us all minutes earlier. I smiled gratefully and thanked her. She seemed shocked that I did this. Maybe she felt sorry for me, like I was on my way to slaughter. 

First miles went by quickly. I felt good and recognized my marathon pace, albeit a bit faster. I lost track of the 1:40 pacer, but found him again around mile 3 or 4. It's strange, because the timing company recorded me crossing the 10k mat in 45:54 (7:24 pace). But my Garmin tells a different story and I believe I was keeping a good pace (those of you who know me well know how difficult it is for me to fight the urge to bank time in the early stage of a race).

Mile 1: 7:33

Mile 2: 7:28

Mile 3: 7:32

Mile 4: 7:35

Mile 5: 7:28

Mile 6: 7:35

Remind me not to wear the booty shorts anymore. Total fashion disaster for those pudgy legs.

At the 15k mark, we went through the gates of Rideau Hall, Queen Elizabeth's pad when she's in town. My SO used to be in the reserves in his young man's days and being a Canadian Grenadier guard (the guys in red coats with the huge fur hats) was one of his duties. The best days of his life, I suspect. But not because of the job (which must be the most boring on earth), but because those were his drinking days with his buddies. 

After entering Rideau Hall, we ran along a pretty and shaded path until we could see the residence of the Governor. I saw that he was back at the house and that he was cheering on the runners. I decided that this was a "seize the moment" for me (something that I have a hard time with, but am getting better at as I age) and I made my way in his direction. He extended his hand and we highfived, me with a huge grin and him with a bravo for me. To which I replied "Merci!". So, in essence, I had just highfived old Bess herself. Way cool. 

Still feeling good, but also feeling the heat and the beginning of slight dehydration, I ran the next miles a bit slower.

Mile 7: 7:38

Mile 8: 7:39

Mile 9: 7:42

Mile 10: 7:42

By mile 11, the sky cracked and buckets of water started falling on us. It felt good, but at the same time, I could not see a damn thing. I have very sensitive eyes and they were burning with my own sweat brought by the rain running down my head. I had to keep rubbing them with my wrist band and it was really annoying. There was also a long incline at that mile. Yes, as you guess, those are my two excuses to explain why I suddenly went off pace.  Meh... maybe I was just tired from my training week and subconsciously slowed down to keep it at a lighter effort. Anyway, since I could not see the numbers on my Garmin, I had no clue what I was running at, but I knew that I had slowed down.

Mile 11: 8:01

Mile 12: 7:55

Mile 13 saw the sky calm down a little, with the rain still falling, but more softly. I knew the end was near and I was happy overall about my workout, so I sped up a bit.

Mile 13: 7:46

Last .23 mile: 7:25

I saw my SO just before crossing the finish line. He yelled my name and I waved to him. It's nice to have a witness to my happy moments. It wouldn't be the same without him. I saw the clock and it read 1:43:and change and I knew right there that I hadn't made my sub 1:40. Garmin said 1:41:20 for 13.23 miles and my official finish time was 1:41:16. Damn it. But... Check this out:

HAPPYLILY

City: B&B 

Region: RA

Overall place: 655/12149 (top 5.4%)

Gender place: 87/6013 (top 1.4%)

Category place: 8/760 (top 1%)

Age-graded score: 74.75%

Course PR: by 1:24 

New York City marathon qualification: Yes

This called for a celebration at our usual pub. 

And in honour of a thread here, I decided to wear my medal all day. At the pub, the local liquor store, on the long drive home, at Timmy's, the grocery store, etc... It kept me laughing all day. 

Thank you all for reading and also for putting up with me. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just one comment: your legs are not pudgy.

Actually a few more comments. That looks like a great race and I think it's wonderful that the Governor General and his wife support it so much. I do want to race in Ottawa sometime and the Memorial Race Weekend never seems to be a good time for me. Unfortunately this one conflicts with NC 24.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Now this looks and sounds like a race I would love to run at some point. Great weather, great people, and what an atmosphere! Also, nice run, but "pudgy legs?" Yeah, right!

B-Plus

Thanks for the report! I was especially interested since I was in town earlier that week and saw the start area. Had I known, I would have planned to stay the weekend for the race. I went to the same pub on Wednesday night!

on my way to badass

Outstanding report and race! It looks beautiful.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

This sounds like a great race, despite the crowds.  I always enjoy your race reports.  I'm glad you were able to just relax and enjoy it (aside from the rain.)

PADRunner

Sounds like you had a great time. Nice to read about someone just enjoying the run.

delicate flower

Dang, that is one LARGE half marathon field!  Sounds like a blast though.  What is it with these 10K splits being so out of whack?  Happened to me in my last marathon too.  That's pretty cool that you high-fived the governor.  Smile  Nice job, lily!

<3

From the Internet.

Now this looks and sounds like a race I would love to run at some point. Great weather, great people, and what an atmosphere! Also, nice run, but "pudgy legs?" Yeah, right!

Seriously. I should be banned from wearing all shorts if your legs are pudgy! :P

Great report, now I want to come see and run in your lovely country someday Smile Thanks for sharing!

RSX

Congrats Julie!! Ottawa is 1 place I want to see so I enjoyed the pictures. Funny that you included Trudeau.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think you did a great job with pacing especially in the heat.  Great job.  And the booty shorts look great on you!

Great RR.  Thanks for sharing the pics of the city.  I would love to visit.

Damaris

onemile

I am impressed you kept it as controlled as you did the first half.  Did you get any water around mile 6 when you started feeling thirsty?

Is 7:40 your GMP for Chicago?

Very nice pics - I enjoyed them. Looks like a great race.

Is 7:40 your GMP for Chicago?

I wonder if we will get an answer...inquiring minds want to know! (Although I thought you were doing NYCM.)

Congrats, lily! Very nicely done to keep yourself from racing too hard - I know how difficult that is for you. Certainly not taking any kind of break from the heavy training you have been doing helped that.

Sounds like an excellent event, and glad you seemed to have a great time. Enjoyed the pics, especially of that Trudeau fils!

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Dave

happylily

George, thank you! Too bad about NC 24 being on the same weekend. But how did you do? I did not see any RR from you.

Jack, thanks a lot. I'm sorry about Boston. My first BQ would not have been a BQ one year later, when the standards became stricter. So I was just lucky. Then I went on to run faster times. You will too. And your wife is so close to qualifying herself... It would be a shame to not run Boston with her... Next year will be for the two of you. 

B-Plus, SF, Pad and Ginny, thank you, guys!

Baboon, yes, it's a lot of people, especially for around here. But the course never felt crowded. I guess after having done Chicago, nothing really intimidates me. But I heard that NYCM is huuuge. I hope I don't get trampled there. Thanks!

Lauren, I know you are exaggerating. You are definitely shorts worthy. :-) Thank you!

Mike, come down this winter for a hockey game! (though I have no idea if the Senators are worth watching. Probably not) Thank you!

Damaris, thank you! I so want to wear cheerful and colorful things like you do, but I'm too chicken and always end up with drab colors (except for my ugly shoes). Maybe one day we'll run together and that'll give me the courage to wear something fun for once.

onemile, thanks! I ran this at MP -10 secs, so 7:40 (or should I say 7:40 +10 secs?). Marathon pace hopefully will be somewhere around 7:50, maybe even slower, like 8:00. I haven't been feeling it lately, for many reasons. Hopefuly better days are ahead, if not, no problem. I had my good cycle. Now it's your turn.  EDIT: I forgot to say that no, I never did drink or fuel. I have a phobia that slowing down to drink will break my pace. Of course, I end up slowing down anyway, so that makes me stupid.

happylily

I wonder if we will get an answer...inquiring minds want to know! (Although I thought you were doing NYCM.)

Congrats, lily! Very nicely done to keep yourself from racing too hard - I know how difficult that is for you. Certainly not taking any kind of break from the heavy training you have been doing helped that.

Sounds like an excellent event, and glad you seemed to have a great time. Enjoyed the pics, especially of that Trudeau fils!

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Thanks, Dave! You know Trudeau? I feel sorry for him. I'm sure he's fine as a person/teacher/father. But he shouldn't be in politics. Anyway, you're right, I'm running NYCM. I was registered to run Chicago, but cannot make it there that weekend because of work. I might run something else instead, on another weekend, and that would totally be crazy because it's just a few weeks before NY. It think I need Damaris to bring me back to reason.