Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 39 times)

LRB

+ 1 on the Powerade, I even have it in powder form.

Someone in the office was speaking about cucumber Gatorade mixed with alcohol and I kept telling her she meant green melon but she was adamant it was cucumber.

Sounds weird but if I see it I'll grab one.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

+ 1 on the Powerade, I even have it in powder form.

Someone in the office was speaking about cucumber Gatorade mixed with alcohol and I kept telling her she meant green melon but she was adamant it was cucumber.

Sounds weird but if I see it I'll grab one.

I can no longer find my Jim Beam Red Stag Hard Cider  Maybe the stores haven't recovered from the holidays yet...... I knew I should have stocked up.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jay: I have had the cucumber Gatorade and it is by far my favorite. I wish I could by it by the case.

LRB

Is there a certain or correct order to stretch? Like stretch the lower part first, or stretch from the hips/lower back and down to the feet? Just curious.

No, just what works for you. I do dynamic stretching before runs and static stretching afterwards, just a few minutes of each. There are however, days when I do one or the other and days when I do neither.

Where stretching is concerned you just have to be careful that you are avoiding extremes; not stretching at all or stretching too much. There is a balance there that must be attained and it's an individual thing so what works for someone else may not work for you.

The one thing that is true for all though is to do for one muscle group what you are doing for its antagonistic group, hamstrings to quads, adductors to abductors etc..

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.4 for me today.

Marjorie

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

No, just what works for you. I do dynamic stretching before runs and static stretching afterwards, just a few minutes of each. There are however, days when I do one or the other and days when I do neither.

Where stretching is concerned you just have to be careful that you are avoiding extremes; not stretching at all or stretching too much. There is a balance there that must be attained and it's an individual thing so what works for someone else may not work for you.

The one thing that is true for all though is to do for one muscle group what you are doing for its antagonistic group, hamstrings to quads, adductors to abductors etc..

Hmmm.. 

When laying on my back to do the stretch for the Bicep Femoris I am not able to straighten my leg all the way when it is up pointed towards the air. I am not very flexible.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

Hmmm.. 

When laying on my back to do the stretch for the Bicep Femoris I am not able to straighten my leg all the way when it is up pointed towards the air. I am not very flexible.

I was in the same boat with my left leg in November of 2012.

That is not something that can be fixed overnight. It takes weeks and months of moderate stretching to even get that stupid thing to extend in a straight line and even longer than that for some. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't stretch, ever, but stretching before running is worse than stretching after running.  I am referring to static stretches, not dynamic, which are Ok.

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

...not fun lying in bed watching the room spin around, getting more and more nauseous!

So you get all the effects of an amusement park ride without having to actually go on one. 

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I've never liked stretching before a run, I don't really even "warm up" before a race, which is why I park pretty far from the start so I can have a good walk or do an easy run from my Tahoe to the start or bathrooms. I do like stretching afterwards though, and wish I would stick to it religiously damn it.

I am freaking out ya'll, I really, really, really, really, really (x1000) want to get out and run but I am scared I'll feel the stiffness and fuck up any gains I have made, if I've made any at all ......... . I am also scared that taking too long of a break will hurt my base mileage and I'll pay for it later during this summer's marathon training. I need somebody to slap me.

PRs

Hip Redux

Static stretching is one of those things that needs to have a purpose (ok, really, everything needs a purpose lol).  After my gait assessment, we determined that I need more mobility through my hip flexors.  But my ankles have almost too much mobility - like 20% flexion or something silly.  

Also, there is a push/pull with opposing muscles (the PTs on the board can explain it better!) - but for me, my glutes are weak but my hip flexors and psoas are tight/overworked.   So I really focus on strengthening the glutes and getting the hip flexors to relax (stretch, massage, etc).

To just stretch randomly for the sake of stretching, probably better off doing nothing.

LRB

Static stretching is one of those things that needs to have a purpose (ok, really, everything needs a purpose lol).  After my gait assessment, we determined that I need more mobility through my hip flexors.  But my ankles have almost too much mobility - like 20% flexion or something silly.  

Also, there is a push/pull with opposing muscles (the PTs on the board can explain it better!) - but for me, my glutes are weak but my hip flexors and psoas are tight/overworked.   So I really focus on strengthening the glutes and getting the hip flexors to relax (stretch, massage, etc).

To just stretch randomly for the sake of stretching, probably better off doing nothing.

Not sure if you were around when I was posting about it but I have had my psoas massaged, that was definitely weird!

And not to be outdone, my imbalances are a strong right glute, weak left glute. Limber right quad, tight left quad. Strong left adductor, weak right adductor. Loose left hip flexor, tight right hip flexor. Strong right abductor, weak left abductor. Limber left hamstring, tight right hamstring.

True story. 

happylily

I'd like to register for NYCM tomorrow morning, when registration opens. I have automatic entry due to qualifying in New Work itself. I'd really like to, but I'm not sure it's smart. At this point, any race I do is a stupid idea. But there is a little chance that by the summer we may have found the right combination of drugs for me and maybe then I'll be up for training again. Since I'll be coming back from a very long layoff, I wouldn't be looking at PRs, so NYCM sounds like a good choice for me. Just a great event. On the other hand, if I register now ($265 US) and reserve lodging (deposit required), but I end up not being able to go (because of my shitty body) I'll lose big $$. This has happened too often to me and I simply can't afford it anymore. Wow... I think I've just identified for the first time one of my own First World problems. Where is that thread, now? 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not sure if you were around when I was posting about it but I have had my psoas massaged, that was definitely weird!

And not to be outdone, my imbalances are a strong right glute, weak left glute. Limber right quad, tight left quad. Strong left adductor, weak right adductor. Loose left hip flexor, tight right hip flexor. Strong right abductor, weak left abductor. Limber left hamstring, tight right hamstring.

True story. 

A psoas massage is the best.  I get it often.

4 miles and they were good.  I am coughing ever since I did 341 meetings in the room with the moldy bookcases but I will feel better now that I will be working from home tomorrow.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'd like to register for NYCM tomorrow morning, when registration opens. I have automatic entry due to qualifying in New Work itself. I'd really like to, but I'm not sure it's smart. At this point, any race I do is a stupid idea. But there is a little chance that by the summer we may have found the right combination of drugs for me and maybe then I'll be up for training again. Since I'll be coming back from a very long layoff, I wouldn't be looking at PRs, so NYCM sounds like a good choice for me. Just a great event. On the other hand, if I register now ($265 US) and reserve lodging (deposit required), but I end up not being able to go (because of my shitty body) I'll lose big $$. This has happened too often to me and I simply can't afford it anymore. Wow... I think I've just identified for the first time one of my own First World problems. Where is that thread, now? 

I think you should sign up (if you can afford the hit if you cannot do it) and run it for fun. Wanna pace me? 

I actually need to talk to April (remember her?)  We planned on signing up and I promised to run it with her if we both entered.  I have not asked hubby yet (his sign up and do it next year might have been on the heat of trying to make me feel better).

Damaris