Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/09/26/black-lives-matter-plans-protest-at-twin-cities-marathon/

Do we know anybody who is running this race? Dude all I can say is there would be some bloody, bruised and broken bodies on the ground if that happened at any of my races damn it.

They plan on being at the 25 mile mark, 2 hours after the race starts hoping runners will be too tired to put up much of a fight, I hope those assholes get clobbered...... or at least a few of them, or that the organizers and security take care of those assholes.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Brilliant

I can't imagine that will end well.   I hope they have lots of law enforcement on hand, since the protest organizers have helpfully announced their intentions in advance.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I can't imagine that will end well.   I hope they have lots of law enforcement on hand, since the protest organizers have helpfully announced their intentions in advance.

They're going to ruin the elites' finish times if any finish at all, last I checked the majority are Africans.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Little Blue

And ambulances.  This will not be pretty.  Although they've been courteous enough to announce it ahead, maybe they can put up a 10' fence.  Would suck for spectators, though.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Possible protests are one of several reasons I am not running the Baltimore half. Not sure how things are in MN, but as a runner I'd be worried about an event that will draw police resources away from the race. In B-more, with the recent pre- trials, all police time off was cancelled on days there was concern of large gatherings. If police have to do that, I imagine they would pressure the race to postpone it cancel.

Occupy Wall Street was protesting a few years ago on the race route. It was a non issue.

StepbyStep-SH

I don't think it is going to win them much support. Having a cheer zone or water station or even peacefully handing out materials after the finish could have been a positive way to share their message.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That makes no sense at all. I can't see any connection between the marathon or running and what that group is protesting. It's more likely to turn people on the fence against the group than to draw attention and support to their cause.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

StepbyStep-SH

That makes no sense at all. I can't see any connection between the marathon or running and what that group is protesting. It's more likely to turn people on the fence against the group than to draw attention and support to their cause.

In the Twin Cities area, they have also protested the state fair and I think shut down traffic on major roadways in the last month or two.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

delicate flower

Marathon Times Matter.

<3

happylily

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/09/26/black-lives-matter-plans-protest-at-twin-cities-marathon/

Do we know anybody who is running this race? Dude all I can say is there would be some bloody, bruised and broken bodies on the ground if that happened at any of my races damn it.

They plan on being at the 25 mile mark, 2 hours after the race starts hoping runners will be too tired to put up much of a fight, I hope those assholes get clobbered...... or at least a few of them, or that the organizers and security take care of those assholes.

I don't get the bold part. Do you mean the spectators would respond with violence, or the cops? Or both? Or the runners? It doesn't make sense. Just because one group of people acts wrongly doesn't mean everyone has to turn into a hooligan. Maybe that's where the real problem lies.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

But then, I know next to nothing about this serious issue. So disregard my comment.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't get the bold part. Do you mean the spectators would respond with violence, or the cops? Or both? Or the runners? It doesn't make sense. Just because one group of people acts wrongly doesn't mean everyone has to turn into a hooligan. Maybe that's where the real problem lies.

I think she means she would make them bloody not that they would act like that.

Damaris

happylily

I think she means she would make them bloody not that they would act like that.

Ah! SHE would beat them up. That would help the situation, I'm sure. 

happylily

What I'm thinking is that by acting violently with this group, you are falling into a trap.

Buelligan

My life matters.