Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't get the bold part. Do you mean the spectators would respond with violence, or the cops? Or both? Or the runners? It doesn't make sense. Just because one group of people acts wrongly doesn't mean everyone has to turn into a hooligan. Maybe that's where the real problem lies.

I mean I would be getting violent, or at least shoving my way through if something like this happened at a race I was running. Hundreds, thousands even have worked and trained for months to run these races, and some group wants to interfere with that. Like Wcrunner2 says, it makes no sense at all and it is only wanting to inconvenience others and ruins others' experience.

I couldn't care less about a trap or not helping the issue, it's BS and making them no better than the West Boro (sp?) Baptist Church. I don't hear them complaining about the black on black violence, just when some cops do something stupid. Don't get me wrong, some of these cops are way out of line, but seriously why not "All Lives Matter", why not hold a race to race awareness of this violence?

The race organizers have already said that if any runners act physically, they will be charged, but they don't know exactly what to do about these idiots. If they don't do anything to stop it or prevent it, their race will probably drop in popularity, or at least get bad reviews.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

I mean I would be getting violent, or at least shoving my way through if something like this happened at a race I was running. Hundreds, thousands even have worked and trained for months to run these races, and some group wants to interfere with that. Like Wcrunner2 says, it makes no sense at all and it is only wanting to inconvenience others and ruins others' experience.

Yes, I agree it's totally wrong. I'm just not convince that responding with violence is the best way to go. But whatever...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

You could not care less.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yes, I agree it's totally wrong. I'm just not convince that responding with violence is the best way to go. But whatever...

It's one of my first reactions to something like this, when there is something in my way to my goal I am going to push back.

I am sure the runners who do react will be punished more severely than the group interrupting the race, society has always punished those that stand up to bullies.... at least that's my experience.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

onemile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I couldn't care less about a trap or not helping the issue, it's BS and making them no better than the West Boro (sp?) Baptist Church. I don't hear them complaining about the black on black violence, just when some cops do something stupid. Don't get me wrong, some of these cops are way out of line, but seriously why not "All Lives Matter", why not hold a race to race awareness of this violence?

The race organizers have already said that if any runners act physically, they will be charged, but they don't know exactly what to do about these idiots. If they don't do anything to stop it or prevent it, their race will probably drop in popularity, or at least get bad reviews.

It's just a marathon, you know.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You could not care less.

I meant that 

PRs

obiebyke

Go BLM go!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It's just a marathon, you know.

It's with everything, when someone stands in my way over anything. Not just marathons or races, hell you guys know I have road rage  Things like this annoy me 

PRs

hog4life

This is stupid!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This is stupid!

Yep, but BLM is hoping that runners are weak, tired, and naturally avoid confrontation. Otherwise, if they really wanted to make a difference they are protest at capitols, police stations, at the Expo's, at the end of the race during the "entertainment" we normally see. But no, they've got to be loud and in the way and inconveniencing a lot of people. Hell, they've stood out on highways and interstates blocking traffic, freaking cars and trucks... I doubt they're afraid of runners.

PRs

Zelanie

Andrea, I don't agree with this particular protest, either, but I have to respond to your comments.  The protests are about institutional racism, and that is an issue that still persists into this day.  The fact that you so quickly are open to responding with violence to peaceful protesters comes across as offensive and racist.  There are too many incidents of violence towards people of color in the US.  And that matters more than marathon times.  Would I be pissed if this protest blocked my race?  Yes.  But that goes into the category of minor annoyance vs. the category of people wanting equal opportunity for themselves and their children.  Perspective.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The protests are about institutional racism, and that is an issue that still persists into this day.  The fact that you so quickly are open to responding with violence to peaceful protesters comes across as offensive and racist.  There are too many incidents of violence towards people of color in the US.  And that matters more than marathon times.  Would I be pissed if this protest blocked my race?  Yes.  But that goes into the category of minor annoyance vs. the category of people wanting equal opportunity for themselves and their children.  Perspective.

+1

Running is dumb.

obiebyke

The protests are about institutional racism, and that is an issue that still persists into this day.  The fact that you so quickly are open to responding with violence to peaceful protesters comes across as offensive and racist.  There are too many incidents of violence towards people of color in the US.  And that matters more than marathon times.  Would I be pissed if this protest blocked my race?  Yes.  But that goes into the category of minor annoyance vs. the category of people wanting equal opportunity for themselves and their children.  Perspective.

+1

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Like I said, it's only a marathon....

Damaris