Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Well said Zel.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Andrea, I don't agree with this particular protest, either, but I have to respond to your comments.  The protests are about institutional racism, and that is an issue that still persists into this day.  The fact that you so quickly are open to responding with violence to peaceful protesters comes across as offensive and racist.  There are too many incidents of violence towards people of color in the US.  And that matters more than marathon times.  Would I be pissed if this protest blocked my race?  Yes.  But that goes into the category of minor annoyance vs. the category of people wanting equal opportunity for themselves and their children.  Perspective.

Once again, one thinks my anger is because of their race. No I would be agitated if anybody protested during an event like this, hell I am pro-life but would be agitated if there was a pro-life group doing this. It has nothing to do with their skin color, thank you very much. But when they start demanding justice for the innocent black lives harmed or killed by other blacks, rather than just the ones that cops have harmed, then I will be a little less agitated.

But there are better ways to protest, doing this won't help their cause, but if they aren't stopped then there's a chance you will see more of this at races.

Something tells me the ones calling me racist wouldn't have a problem if I was angry about veterans doing this, or the WBC, or small business owners, or church/religious groups. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

delicate flower

A few hundred protesters blocking the course from 12,000 runners.  Good luck keeping that peaceful and non-violent.

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

A few hundred protesters blocking the course from 12,000 runners.  Good luck keeping that peaceful and non-violent.

I don't see how one could,  then you've got to think about the spectators,  and if there is in fact a true racist, black hating person out there waiting to do something really stupid... and dangerous. Why not along the sides of the final mile? When a lot will be tired and walking, but no they want to interfere.

If I was running this race, I wouldn't even bother with it, I'd cancel the hotel and find another race. I mean why bother to start if you won't be allowed to finish?

Hell I would curse mother nature if a sudden storm with lightning stopped the race completely and I was only a couple miles from the finish 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

DavePNW

But when they start demanding justice for the innocent black lives harmed or killed by other blacks, rather than just the ones that cops have harmed, then I will be a little less agitated.

This group is trying to address a specific issue. They are not trying to address all the issues.

Dave

PADRunner

They protested too.

DavePNW

Dave

delicate flower

<3

obiebyke

Whuuuuuh? Are you comparing civil rights protests to terrorist attacks?

They protested too.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

PADRunner

Whuuuuuh? Are you comparing civil rights protests to terrorist attacks?

No I didn't mean it that way.. But putting a line between a lot of runners who may not be thinking rationally will not end well.

There's a time and place, and mile 25 of a marathon is not the place.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Couldn't have said it better  Padrunner.

And the leader of this protest and a few dozen others might be planning a peaceful protest, but others in their group might be planning or preparing for the worst possible response. I don't trust ANY group doing a protest that interferes with traffic, races or other busy events, they know there is a good chance for a violent altercation, and plan to do it anyways. And the leader's reason and ideas on how runners and spectators will react is absurd. Spectators might be the ones to worry about though, not the reactions of the runners.

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

Andrea, I don't agree with this particular protest, either, but I have to respond to your comments.  The protests are about institutional racism, and that is an issue that still persists into this day.  The fact that you so quickly are open to responding with violence to peaceful protesters comes across as offensive and racist.  There are too many incidents of violence towards people of color in the US.  And that matters more than marathon times.  Would I be pissed if this protest blocked my race?  Yes.  But that goes into the category of minor annoyance vs. the category of people wanting equal opportunity for themselves and their children.  Perspective.

My first reaction was the same as Andrea's, I even posted such on fb and RWOL, but the more thought I give it, the more I realize that it really is just a race.  Months of training, money spent, all of that, doesn't compare to the real issues that minorities in this country are facing.  Matthew Cooke has a great video on racism in this country, and how our current situation has come about, I'll post it later.

That being said, I also think that the protesters shouldn't be allowed to interrupt the race, and I hope that the police are able to handle the situation and keep the course clear and safe for runners.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Couldn't have said it better  Padrunner.

And the leader of this protest and a few dozen others might be planning a peaceful protest, but others in their group might be planning or preparing for the worst possible response. I don't trust ANY group doing a protest that interferes with traffic, races or other busy events, they know there is a good chance for a violent altercation, and plan to do it anyways. And the leader's reason and ideas on how runners and spectators will react is absurd. Spectators might be the ones to worry about though, not the reactions of the runners.

Thankfully you have your guns to protect you! Don't forget to bring them at your next marathon. In fact, let's hope that everyone remembers to bring them. That should help protect you and your finish time. .

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My first reaction was the same as Andrea's, I even posted such on fb and RWOL, but the more thought I give it, the more I realize that it really is just a race.  Months of training, money spent, all of that, doesn't compare to the real issues that minorities in this country are facing.  Matthew Cooke has a great video on racism in this country, and how our current situation has come about, I'll post it later.

That being said, I also think that the protesters shouldn't be allowed to interrupt the race, and I hope that the police are able to handle the situation and keep the course clear and safe for runners.

After getting calmer, that's why I said a few posts ago that I would most likely do another race instead of that one.

PRs