Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

happylily

My first reaction was the same as Andrea's, I even posted such on fb and RWOL, but the more thought I give it, the more I realize that it really is just a race.  Months of training, money spent, all of that, doesn't compare to the real issues that minorities in this country are facing.  Matthew Cooke has a great video on racism in this country, and how our current situation has come about, I'll post it later.

That being said, I also think that the protesters shouldn't be allowed to interrupt the race, and I hope that the police are able to handle the situation and keep the course clear and safe for runners.

This ^

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thankfully you have your guns to protect you! Don't forget to bring them at your next marathon. In fact, let's hope that everyone remembers to bring them. That should help protect you and your finish time. .

A gun wouldn't help me with this, but someone who really hates specific people or causes would definitely benefit from a gun..... unfortunately everyone else wouldn't. But I do hope police or security can handle this themselves..... the elites will get there first and are too tiny to defend themselves lol.

As for me, if I hear in advance that this will also happen at IMM, I would just reluctantly skip the race, change course and find another race.

I am thinking more levelheaded now, but I've spent enough time on here damn it.... you guys are a distraction 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

cjones1

You can protest, and bring awareness to your cause, whatever it is, without being an asshole.  If they are planning on blocking runners, or otherwise interrupting the race, then to me, they're just being assholes, and I couldn't care less about the importance of their cause relative to the importance of my race experience.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Buelligan

Just show them your awesome biceps and they'll know not to fuck with you.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Just show them your awesome biceps and they'll know not to fuck with you.

Ha!

I feel like those have shrunk over the past week, this morning I made it to the gym and could only do 5 sets of 12 reps with a 50 lbs barbell. Before last week I had gotten up to 6 sets of 6 reps with the 60 lbs barbell.

I think I am shortfused here lately.

But I agree with cjones, and I don't see what or how this will help their cause. They'd be better off protesting at the Expo...... at the entrances and inside.

I haven't heard of any BAM protests at other sports events (if you have, please tell me and I will edit this) like baseball,  football or basketball.... no they think we runners are weak, sniveling cowards who will just turn the other cheek and back down.... Sadly 9 out of 10 it is probably true.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Cyberic

I'd have the same reaction as Andrea if a human barrier all of a sudden materialized in front of me trying to block me from finishing.

Although I *think* I would react that way if it happened all of a sudden, this is sitting at my desk, rested and fed. At mile 25, on the 20th of September, I don't think I would have had the energy to kick a squirrel out of the way, so fighting away a human barrier might have been above my abilities at that moment.

But since they're calling the shot in advance, I would probably just not run the race if finishing was important to me.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'd have the same reaction as Andrea if a human barrier all of a sudden materialized in front of me trying to block me from finishing.

Although I *think* I would react that way if it happened all of a sudden, this is sitting at my desk, rested and fed. At mile 25, on the 20th of September, I don't think I would have had the energy to kick a squirrel out of the way, so fighting away a human barrier might have been above my abilities at that moment.

But since they're calling the shot in advance, I would probably just not run the race if finishing was important to me.

Very true, 25 miles is a lot and if you still have the energy to put up some fight... you are a freak of nature and I envy you.

PRs

obiebyke

I haven't heard of any BAM protests at other sports events (if you have, please tell me and I will edit this) like baseball,  football or basketball.... no they think we runners are weak, sniveling cowards who will just turn the other cheek and back down.... Sadly 9 out of 10 it is probably true.

Where do you get this stuff? I've protested with them at a football game.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Where do you get this stuff? I've protested with them at a football game.

Seeing on how I haven't seen anywhere on the news "BLM protest held on football field during huge game, or on baseball field or on the basketball court during a huge, highly publicised game with hundreds of spectators,  causing the game to either pause or be cancelled ".... Yeah I am going to assume it hasn't happened. Unless you can provide links that they have interrupted other huge events and participants......then I will retract my earlier statement.

What I have seen on news media is human barriers on major interstate highways and other roads.

PRs

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Andrea, I don't agree with this particular protest, either, but I have to respond to your comments.  The protests are about institutional racism, and that is an issue that still persists into this day.  The fact that you so quickly are open to responding with violence to peaceful protesters comes across as offensive and racist.  There are too many incidents of violence towards people of color in the US.  And that matters more than marathon times.  Would I be pissed if this protest blocked my race?  Yes.  But that goes into the category of minor annoyance vs. the category of people wanting equal opportunity for themselves and their children.  Perspective.

I'm an open minded guy, especially for my neck of the woods.  I do believe we still have institutional racism, I see it often in my area.

For a protest to be effective, it has to be noticed.   I understand that aspect.  But, if you are physically blocking the path of, or preventing someone from moving -  that's not nonviolent.  If you do that to your girfriend or wife, you can be charged with domestic assault.  It is a form of passive aggressive violence, and no one should be surprised when it leads to active aggression.  If you pick a fight, you often get one.

Personally, I avoid confrontation unless I can't.  I'm not a fighter.  I don't condone anyone who decides to try to run right through a protester.  But, they are no more in the wrong than the person refusing to move.

Runner with a riding problem.

obiebyke

If you'd rather believe links from FoxNews than a participant (me), I'm bowing out. There's no use.

Seeing on how I haven't seen anywhere on the news "BLM protest held on football field during huge game, or on baseball field or on the basketball court during a huge, highly publicised game with hundreds of spectators,  causing the game to either pause or be cancelled ".... Yeah I am going to assume it hasn't happened. Unless you can provide links that they have interrupted other huge events and participants......then I will retract my earlier statement.

What I have seen on news media is human barriers on major interstate highways and other roads.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If you'd rather believe links from FoxNews than a participant (me), I'm bowing out. There's no use.

Oh of course, the old "fox news" bologna used as a quiet insult to my intelligence  . It is the surest sign that I'd have a better conversation with a wall, or my dogs.

No, I don't pay any attention to Fox news thank you very much, I pay attention to my local paper and online news, aol, yahoo, Google and Facebook and twitter feeds, hell I even check out group pages to see what they've got going on even if i don't agree or follow them.

Not only does courier & press post tristate news, but also international news, as does tristatehomepage, and even the weather page. But hey, why bother... you've already proven that you think anybody who doesn't agree with you is a bigot.

PRs

DavePNW

Dave

happylily

Confederate flag singlets as a retort? How cute...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I would strongly encourage other runners in my race to wear the confederate flag singlets, that way they can draw all the attention to themselves and I can slip past the protesters unnoticed and unscathed.

<3