Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

happylily

Read the whole thread. Those people over there are crazy. haha...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Didn't read it (yet) but like Baboon said.....

If someone wants to wear it, then hey go ahead, I won't though.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Read the whole thread. Those people over there are crazy. haha...

You deserve a finisher's medal. I took a DNF after a page and a half.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I actually found it entertaining,  so far i am on page 4. But only a few good posts through all the crap.

What I did gather out of it is that allegedly the St. Paul BLM was "disowned " by the actual national BLM or whatever you call the main group  (mommy group, or official group) for being too radical. Using chants like "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em up" and shit.

But before trying to predict what might happen, we should just wait and see, and hope for the best and that everyone comes out of this unharmed.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Cyberic

You deserve a finisher's medal. I took a DNF after a page and a half.

I quit in the first page, after 6-7 posts

DavePNW

Dave

PADRunner

You need to copyright that!

Cyberic

Where did the pic go, Dave?

Forget it it's back 

I was just going to say: good one!

Half Crazy K 2.0

You can protest, and bring awareness to your cause, whatever it is, without being an asshole.  If they are planning on blocking runners, or otherwise interrupting the race, then to me, they're just being assholes, and I couldn't care less about the importance of their cause relative to the importance of my race experience.

^^This. There have been a number of rush-hour traffic blocking protests in Baltimore. I don't care what your cause is, when you do that, you are being an asshole.

I can't imagine any runner held up at mile 25 is going to be in any frame of mind to have a conversation with these people as to their cause and why they should support it. If anything, it's going to piss people off.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, haha on the sticker.

One way they could persuade runners to stop and join them would be to have an aid station there with water, chocolate milk, oranges, cookies, etc..... and cots... I mean seriously, do they really have any idea how hard a marathon is, let alone 25 miles is? Then to expect those runners to stop and stand around and join them while they're half or nearly, or all the way dead? Just insane.....

Wait, to even ask that question is insane.

Half Crazy, I heard that ambulances and other emergency vehicles had to be diverted because of those assholes.

PRs

Half Crazy K 2.0

Half Crazy, I heard that ambulances and other emergency vehicles had to be diverted because of those assholes.

If it was the I-95 protest over the kiddie jail, I'm sure they did. University of MD and Shock Trauma are right off the 395 exit from 95.

The other traffic blocking protests have occurred across downtown near I-83, which will block emergency vehicle heading to Mercy Hospital or Johns Hopkins.

Ric-G

how will this affect boston qualifying with people not running the full 26.2????  

marathon pr - 3:16

DavePNW

how will this affect boston qualifying with people not running the full 26.2????  

Just checked my splits; after 25, I was at 3:29:47.50 -- BQ by 12.5 seconds!!! 

Dave

delicate flower

Hell, I was BQ after 26.2 miles!  It's the extra 1/3 of a mile that screwed me.

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Yes, I agree it's totally wrong. I'm just not convince that responding with violence is the best way to go. But whatever...

Just for curious sake: what in your opinion would be the best way to handle it?