Beginners and Beyond

Black Lives Matters Group Planning Protest at Twin City Marathon (Read 103 times)

happylily

Just for curious sake: what in your opinion would be the best way to handle it?

Go back in the thread. You will see that I quoted Dtothe2nd and agreed with him. The authorities should be in charge of keeping the course safe for the runners. It shouldn't be up to the spectators and the runners to fight anyone wanting to disrupt the event. I would think that it would be a disaster if that happened. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it would all work out in the end. We never know...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Go back in the thread. You will see that I quoted Dtothe2nd and agreed with him. The authorities should be in charge of keeping the course safe for the runners. It shouldn't be up to the spectators and the runners to fight anyone wanting to disrupt the event. I would think that it would be a disaster if that happened. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it would all work out in the end. We never know...

I dont think there is a good solution and because of the lack of a solution, it justifies the Protesters.

IE: the entire BLM deal is predicated on feeling injustice specifically by the hands of the authorities. Which is who you think should deal with it.

The entire scenario is primed to explode:

1. Give in to protest - protesters keep protesting ie: it works

2. Authorities deal with protest - protesters feel oppressed, mob mind rules and shit spirals out of hand. - BLM now has more 'clout' and Authorities are seen even more as the evil overpower.

3. Spectators deal with the situation - again explosive - 3 way clusterfuck - involving BLM and authorities as well.

All in all - protesters win.

happylily

I dont think there is a good solution and because of the lack of a solution, it justifies the Protesters.

IE: the entire BLM deal is predicated on feeling injustice specifically by the hands of the authorities. Which is who you think should deal with it.

2. Authorities deal with protest - protesters feel oppressed, mob mind rules and shit spirals out of hand. - BLM now has more 'clout' and Authorities are seen even more as the evil overpower.

3. Spectators deal with the situation - again explosive - 3 way clusterfuck - involving BLM and authorities as well.

Yes, I agree with you.

I made my initial comments about violence because I think it is not well thought out for someone to claim that he/she will make bodies bruised and broken if anyone attempts to stop them in their race. I was responding to the OP.

I still think that it's best to let the authorities handle it, even though we all know it's not ideal. It's the least worst solution.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sly is right, this whole thing has started because they feel injustice from the authorities, this would probably and most likely create more of a mess and more fuel to their fire.

What we need are Marines 

And unfortunately Lily and I will never come to a common ground with things like this, I don't believe in turning the other cheek when being bullied or confronted, I believe in standing my ground. These idiots have caused chaos on the roads, with emergency vehicles all for attention when really claiming it's for their cause.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

Sounds like a successful protest then. Although I don't see how they "win" in #3.

MTA: my approach would be for the RD to arrange a discussion with the leader of the group, to try to work out a solution that would give them the visibility they are looking for without impeding the runners. I don't know what the outcome would be but I try to assume people are rational until proven otherwise. I don't know any of these people, I could be naive, but it can't hurt.

Dave

happylily

Sly is right, this whole thing has started because they feel injustice from the authorities, this would probably and most likely create more of a mess and more fuel to their fire.

What we need are Marines 

And unfortunately Lily and I will never come to a common ground with things like this, I don't believe in turning the other cheek when being bullied or confronted, I believe in standing my ground. These idiots have caused chaos on the roads, with emergency vehicles all for attention when really claiming it's for their cause.

I stand up at home when needed, and I stand up if bullied on forums or elsewhere. I have no problem with standing up. I just think that standing up to what may turn into a mob sounds stupid. It's easy to talk tough, but it's not that easy to act it when you're standing in front of many angry people. But do what you want. If you're ever in that situation, good luck "breaking bodies and making them bloodied", as you said.

DavePNW

What we need are Marines 

They probably think they are standing their ground too. They are standing on a public road, and you are running into them.

Attention is part of their cause.

If they are blocking emergency vehicles, that is much more serious and to me is cause for arrest.

Dave

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

The ultimate would be for a BLM member run the first 25 miles with FS and watch them and FS have a limp noodle fight because both are too tired to even trash talk.

You people have issues 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Sounds like a successful protest then. Although I don't see how they "win" in #3.

MTA: my approach would be for the RD to arrange a discussion with the leader of the group, to try to work out a solution that would give them the visibility they are looking for without impeding the runners. I don't know what the outcome would be but I try to assume people are rational until proven otherwise. I don't know any of these people, I could be naive, but it can't hurt.

Protesting is all about attention.

#3 would definately draw attention. Take a survey of economic and racial profiles of marathoners and marathon spectators vs BLM members.   Then tell me a clash wouldn't raise the stakes and provide even more attention.

Your solution might be the best. But I still doubt it will would work even if the leadership was convinced.

PADRunner

There was a lawyer in one of the stories I saw. He said that a lot of things change during an event like a marathon. With all the proper permitting etc. The streets are no longer public property during the event.

They probably think they are standing their ground too. They are standing on a public road, and you are running into them.

Attention is part of their cause.

If they are blocking emergency vehicles, that is much more serious and to me is cause for arrest.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yep to all 3. Also add in the media likely focusing on this since it has become a big story. I swear in Baltimore there were times in April were the media outnumbered the protesters post-riot. I really feel for the police, they are in a no-win situation with these events. There seem to be a small number of people who want to poke the bear to see what they can get away with. Then when the police react, the cell phone cameras come out.

Fresoul mentioned Marines. That only factors into number 2. People freaked out here when the national guard was called in as Baltimore was burning and then to keep watch for a few days.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lily I must be more aggressive than you, I am a redneck after all 

Dave they know there is a race with thousands of people coming down that street and they are choosing to block the path, that's not standing their ground, that is being a bunch of bullies, and I hate bullies. Plus, at mile 25 a lot of runners will look like the walking dead, and might need aid from an emergency vehicle.... would they let anyone help those people if the medics were on the other side of the barrier?

And apparently people have gone on their fb page trying to find an alternative while helping, not only does your comment get deleted but if you are white they'll mention that as a reason you have no opinion there.

I just hope nothing bad happens but that they are stopped or kept from blocking the road.... then again you aren't supposed to block highways and roads but they managed that anyways.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Buelligan

You seem militant about your rights and you don't want them intruded upon.  You're willing to accept violence as a matter of course.

Sounds familiar.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You seem militant about your rights and you don't want them intruded upon.  You're willing to accept violence as a matter of course.

Sounds familiar.

Militant? Ha, the military would kick me out or put me in front of a firing squad.

And I don't force myself or ways on others,  I merely react to others. Granted I use my head more now than many, many years ago but I am still hot headed and can show a knee jerk reaction to shit like this.

Allegedly this is the same group that was blocking traffic INCLUDING emergency vehicles, sorry but when one puts assumingly innocent lives in danger,  I no longer give a shit about their cause.....

I believe in my right to live and enjoy the rewards of my hard work as should everybody else, including races.

But most of all I despise bullies, anyone that picks on or takes advantage of the weak or smaller, unfortunate soul, I made a lot of friends through school standing up to their bullies and my own, and I'll do the same even now.

PRs

RSX

You could not care less.

You could care less