Beginners and Beyond

Sundailies (Read 39 times)

bluerun

Super B****

7 days off after a marathon is prudent. I once took 10 days off.

I took two whole weeks off last time!!! (But my knee hurt so badly I could barely walk, so there was that.) I was thinking of doing that again but I am getting too jealous of everyone who is just jumping right back into it like nothing ever happened.  Hmph.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I took two whole weeks off last time!!! (But my knee hurt so badly I could barely walk, so there was that.) I was thinking of doing that again but I am getting too jealous of everyone who is just jumping right back into it like nothing ever happened.  Hmph.

If you knew like I know, you would bask in the glow a little bit longer. No sense jumping back in and disappointing yourself with ass suck level running. lol

When are you returning home?

onemile

I normally take 1-2 weeks off. 10 days, 12 days is about standard for me.

This time around I am thinking to try this plan

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/27

Which starts back sooner but super duper conservative (20 minute runs every other day) after three days off

bluerun

Super B****

If you knew like I know, you would bask in the glow a little bit longer. No sense jumping back in and disappointing yourself with ass suck level running. lol

When are you returning home?

Well, I feel like that's what I was doing before anyway, and somehow still managed to have a good race!  I'm just getting tired of being sedentary... I need some endorphins.  No way in hell would I have made it this long if I didn't take myself diving!  But I leave tomorrow morning.  Stupid early.  (My car to the airport is arriving at 5:41, which seems awfully specific and doesn't make sense.)

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

I normally take 1-2 weeks off. 10 days, 12 days is about standard for me.

This time around I am thinking to try this plan

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/27

Which starts back sooner but super duper conservative (20 minute runs every other day) after three days off

I lack the self-control required to do that.

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

My last two I felt really good afterwards, and only took 2 days off (1 was SRD anyway, so really only one extra).

The one before that, I sort of wrecked myself, and ended up taking 10 days off (not including 2 aborted attempts of 1 mile each).

The one before that, I really wrecked myself - that was when I hurt my knee a week before the race and ran it anyway; I ended up having to take 6 weeks off. Not recommended.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Sorry I'm so late.  Just didn't get on my computer much today.  Ran 10, part on the TM and part outside, tonight.  I was slow, so I just don't know when the meds I stopped will get out of my system to help me feel more normal.  But they were done.  Also lifted and my shoulder feels like I just hit it with a hammer.  I'm all screwed up!  ha.

LRB, I liked Dr. Strange.  Yes, it is not as great as Captain America or Avengers, etc., but he is also not a central character.  I did like that the actor is great in the role, IMO.

Saw Hacksaw Ridge today.  Pretty good.  Now I get to see Arrival next weekend.

Damaris

Ric-G

7 days off after a marathon is prudent. I once took 10 days off.

I've never got a medal for returning a day or two after the race.. everyone's different and a very easy recovery has served me well. And at least a week after a marathon feels good with no running.

marathon pr - 3:16

Ric-G

Well I broke down and bought a hamster wheel today...literally. My younger son has a dwarf hamster and the wheel blew off the hinges. I know I was the only guy in the store cracking up about buying it. Runner humor, I know.

anyway, I did 5.5 miles this morning.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Evening!  Sorry I'm so late.  Just didn't get on my computer much today.  Ran 10, part on the TM and part outside, tonight.  I was slow, so I just don't know when the meds I stopped will get out of my system to help me feel more normal.  But they were done.  Also lifted and my shoulder feels like I just hit it with a hammer.  I'm all screwed up!  ha.

LRB, I liked Dr. Strange.  Yes, it is not as great as Captain America or Avengers, etc., but he is also not a central character.  I did like that the actor is great in the role, IMO.

Saw Hacksaw Ridge today.  Pretty good.  Now I get to see Arrival next weekend.

I actually thought the first Captain America was the least of them all. The second and third were near flawless.

The cast of Doctor Strange is top shelf, there is no denying that.

I am not sure I will ever see another military movie after watching The Lone Survivor. What happened to them was awful and scarred me for life!

From the Internet.

I ran 13 as a 6.5-mile out-and-back on a flat rail trail this morning, with alternating 1 mile fast/1 mile easy-ish on the way back. This works the "IDGAF I just need to run something quick" system. A+ would run again.

I worked on staying relaxed while opening my stride with more knee drive and hip extension. I tend to shuffle, like real bad, even at fast-for-me speeds as evidenced by my Falmouth Road Race finish line video, and I saw a YouTube video the other day that gave me some things to think about/work on. Video here if anyone's interested. The last "fast" mile I did today was probably the most comfortable 7:40-ish mile I've ever run!

Now back to real life. Blech.

LRB

I ran 13 as a 6.5-mile out-and-back on a flat rail trail this morning, with alternating 1 mile fast/1 mile easy-ish on the way back. This works the "IDGAF I just need to run something quick" system. A+ would run again.

I worked on staying relaxed while opening my stride with more knee drive and hip extension. I tend to shuffle, like real bad, even at fast-for-me speeds as evidenced by my Falmouth Road Race finish line video, and I saw a YouTube video the other day that gave me some things to think about/work on. Video here if anyone's interested. The last "fast" mile I did today was probably the most comfortable 7:40-ish mile I've ever run!

I've seen video footage of me during a 5k where it looked like I was jogging, that's actually a good thing. The less you do while running the better.

onemile

Here is another interesting video on running styles - Gliders vs Gazelles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWPwVF30yo

I am def the high cadence shuffler

DavePNW

I've seen video footage of me during a 5k where it looked like I was jogging, that's actually a good thing. The less you do while running the better.

One of my proudest moments. At my PR HM, there was a 20-something woman way in front of me. I caught up to her around mile 11-12, we ran together for about a mile, then I blew past her. I saw her after the race and she said I looked like "a vision of calm". I didn't feel that way, but I thought it was cool that it looked that way. Presumably all relative for someone struggling through the last miles of a half.

Dave

From the Internet.

I look like I've got a reserved seat on the struggle bus though, lol.