Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES are all about the weekend thaw (Read 34 times)

DavePNW

I rarely get back pain, but when I do, it’s in the exact place you describe. However, the rare times I get it, nothing but a muscle relaxant will fix it. I was in the middle of a meeting at work one time when it flared up. I ended up having to walk out of the meeting and drive over to urgent care to get some drugs, haha.  I hope yours is less painful and I’m glad you were able to do your run.

I find as I get older, I have more and more random pains.  Woo hoo!

Interesting. I’ve had plenty of back pain issues over the years, but this spot is a bit unusual. However for any of it, when it flares up, same deal - it laughs at Advil. The only thing that even takes the edge off is something like Vicodin. Which I’ve been taking at bedtime this week. And one when I got up this morning.

And yes, getting old sucks. IIRC, we are almost exactly the same age.

Dave

LRB

Interesting. I’ve had plenty of back pain issues over the years, but this spot is a bit unusual. However for any of it, when it flares up, same deal - it laughs at Advil. The only thing that even takes the edge off is something like Vicodin. Which I’ve been taking at bedtime this week. And one when I got up this morning.

And yes, getting old sucks. IIRC, we are almost exactly the same age.

Oh yeah, well just wait till you're actually old. lol

LRB

yeah this hip/butt thing sometimes throbs in the middle of the night and I'm wondering how I'm going to run the next day but then I get up and move around and it's fine (or good enough)

Is it any better? Mine is all over the place. Some days I don't feel it at and others I want to shoot myself in the ass!

DavePNW

Is it any better? Mine is all over the place. Some days I don't feel it at and others I want to shoot myself in the ass!

My hip thing that mysteriously arrived this morning is completely different than the hip thing that was dragging me down for months on end last year. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Dave

LRB

My hip thing that mysteriously arrived this morning is completely different than the hip thing that was dragging me down for months on end last year. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

For me, it's cause for celebration when it's someplace different.

LM, I'm sorry about the rain in the forecast, but honestly I would take the rain over sunshine.  Hopefully, it's the kind of rain that cools things down for you.  If you have a hat or visor with a brim to keep it off your face, you'll be okay.  Wear a poncho or something in the corral so you start warm and dry until the start.  And if you're wearing a tank, use anti-chafing stuff on your arms where the fabric might rub.  That was my only unexpected issue at Chicago last year where it rained for the first 10 or so miles.  I spent the last 15 miles applying aquaphor to my arms where I got chafed (it was a tank I've worn often with no chafing, so I blame the rain).

Thanks so much girl.  I've almost achieved zen status on the whole weather roller coaster.  We are supposed to have flash flooding through Saturday night, so I suppose "showers" isn't too bad.  That said, I bought the race insurance this time--the day I signed up it was Noah type conditions, and I had a premonition about road closures.  So I'm as prepared as I can be.  I dropped a thing of Aquaphor in The Bag this morning, I'll definitely paint it on liberally to prevent disaster arms.

4 easy this morning, which was pretty quick for me.  Nice confidence booster as far as last pre-race runs go.  And the universe gave me this present for waking up at the crack of dawn:

DavePNW

For me, it's cause for celebration when it's someplace different.

Ha, yeah it's mixed. On one had it's "oh shit, something new!" On the other hand it's "thank god THAT'S not back again!"

Dave

onemile

Mine was pretty much better. Like 90%. Prior to this week.

onemile

You are determined on that 1:32! I don't see any way that's happening. I've got a month till my next one, so we'll see. If I had to do it right now, I would target a 1:34 and see if I could pick it up in the second half and get somewhere in the 1:33s.

DUDE! You ran 5 miles straight at that pace.

But I guess as long as you don't believe it's gonna happen it won't 

onemile

I ran 8. It was slowww. I guess I'm not winning the average running pace in my log contest 

Cyberic

I guess I'm not winning the average running pace in my log contest 

We leave that one to part time runners.

DavePNW

We leave that one to part time runners.

Wait, what?

Dave

Runshortii

I ran 6. It was a balmy 17 degrees

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Maybe I shouldn’t mention it’s above 80F here right now.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Maybe I shouldn’t mention it’s above 80F here right now.

Just strictly speaking of running, I prefer the 15* we have now, over the 80F you have. For everything else I prefer your weather. Big grin However, even with the 15* we have outside, I still ran 9 inside on the TM. Sad I wasn't wanting to mess around with slipping/sliding over the patches of slick snow & ice.

Hip/butt pain, mine now seems to be mostly in my upper left hamstring. Mostly. And only some of the time.  

LM, I hope there's no flooding and no raining come race morning. You've prepared, and girl, you are READY! Can't wait to hear how it goes. And beautiful pic. I miss running during sunrise.

So if you can run 5mi constant at a certain pace, you should be able to tackle that for a HM? My coach has been having me do 8:15 - 8:25mm for my pace runs for my upcoming HM on next Sat (successfully). I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it. It's a 300ft elevation loss (gradual), and I'll be wearing my Vaporflys. Plus, it's in AZ so no humidity and weather forecast right now is low 40s for start. In other words: perfection.

Dave, your back must be really bad if you're having to take Vicodin night and day. Maybe some dry needling would help?