Beginners and Beyond

Chicago Marathon RR (Short and Painful!) (Read 57 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Late to the party but here is me after the Chicago Marathon. What this picture does not show is that this was my goal race but I had to modify training when my husband found out he had a brain tumor (a gigantic one, bigger than a fist), that he went through surgery and he is A-OK, that he recovered and ran his first Half Marathon post surgery (and almost PRd), and that all of that left my training very crazy. And in addition to that, my asthma doctor told me on Monday, I only had 52% of breathing capacity. I have done 36 marathons, including this one, but I never expected that by Mile 1, I was so slow (for me) that I didn't even want to push. I wanted to quit, I was slow. My husband kept texting me not to quit and I felt guilty for bringing him to Chicago after all of that only to quit another marathon (I've quit before due to the asthma). So, I finished. I was slow (for me), I felt like all this year was a waste in my training. But when I stepped into the hotel room, my husband was so excited I finished, he showed me what was important: perseverance, hard work, being alive, even imperfect. I finished for him.

So remember, when your races don't go as planned, but you still finished, it's all good. I seemed to have forgotten that until now.

I still suck at marathons, after 36.  Still going to run them, though.

Damaris

on my way to badass

Awesome job D!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

DavePNW

Wow, that sounds completely miserable. But, props for getting it done. And for being alive.

Dave

Buelligan

You make me feel terrible about the stupid shit I've been whining about.

Cyberic

Hubby sure put back some order in the values tree. I liked your RR, D. Congrats on your 36th.

From the Internet.

But when I stepped into the hotel room, my husband was so excited I finished, he showed me what was important: perseverance, hard work, being alive, even imperfect. I finished for him.

So remember, when your races don't go as planned, but you still finished, it's all good. I seemed to have forgotten that until now.

I <3 all of this. Congrats on #36, even though it was tough!

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I still suck at marathons, after 36.  Still going to run them, though.

I don't completely understand the why, but I completely respect the what.

Bad Ass indeed.

Runner with a riding problem.

Baboon

delicate flower

Some good perspective there, Docket.  Nice job on completing another marathon despite the adversity.  And it's great to hear Mr. Docket is doing well.

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Congrats D! And thank you for reminding of that.

I can imagine struggling through a half marathon with breathing problems, but a full marathon..... damn you are badass 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congratulations!  You did it!   Look at all you overcame to get to that finish line.  Be proud of yourself, you earned it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

onemile

That is a lot of marathons. Sounds like your husband is a keeper.  

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sorry it didn't go like you wanted, but congrats on sticking it out. Good to hear your DH is doing so well after surgery & nice that he was able to keep you motivated.

Ric-G

congrats! you've overcome more than just the distance. glad your husband is doing well too.

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

That is a lot of marathons. Sounds like your husband is a keeper.  

I guess...

Thanks, guys.

Damaris

DavePNW

That is a lot of marathons. 

No kidding. I have run 7 in 4 years. At this pace, I'll hit 36 sometime shortly after death.

Dave