Beginners and Beyond

Week 47 Penguins are hitting the cider!! (11/17-11/23) (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Apple Cider Day, and I'm not sure if they specify whether hard cider is included or not, so enjoy your beverage of choice!!  I had a crazy busy weekend, but it was a good weekend.  Sunday was less crazy than expected, because our chorus sing-out got cancelled due to weather (we're too wimpy to sing outdoors in the 40's) and then I forgot about the coffeehouse in the evening, so we clearly didn't go.  I did make apple dumplings on Sunday, though, so there's that.  And the practice on Saturday and the show in the afternoon were both good fun.

I'm off to the races from now until mid-December.  This weekend I need to run back down here to Richmond -- there's a scheduled power outage on Saturday, so we're shutting down the instruments Friday afternoon.  I don't want to leave them down longer than necessary, though, so I've asked the area supervisor to let me know when the power comes back on.  We'll head to Richmond and do some shopping, then swing by the lab to restart the instruments.  I think I will also get a new office microwave -- this one has always been scary, but is now becoming hazardous, electrically speaking.

Better go finish up my lecture for this afternoon -- just this class and two more, woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I had a nice but slow 8 miler yesterday.  Getting back to my old endurance and speed will take a while.  4 tonight.

HopesMom, hoping the class goes well!  Oh, you will appreciate the fact that I bought a baby grand piano and can't wait to play again.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

HM - at least the power shutdown wasn't last weekend, when the Richmond marathon was happening. We had to get a new microwave at home because ours would turn itself on at random times. I'd hear the ding of a finished cycle when I wasn't in the room. Since I wasn't sure whether it was happening when we weren't home, and I've become a bit paranoid about fire since our neighbor's house burned down, we got rid of it.

D - I'm so glad you're feeling better about your running.

AFM: Monday rest day for me. I'm a bit stiff, but may do the stationary bike this afternoon if I have any energy. I've been having issues with vertigo the past few days which makes me not want to move much. I've been staggering on our walks, though yesterday's run was fine.

Singer who runs a smidge

Docket, awesome news about the piano!! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Never ran yesterday so I ran the 4 today and lifted.

Damaris

lewjeffrey

I usually start the week strong with running and get at least one or two good runs in.  Somehow it's Wednesday and I find myself really unmotivated after missing opportunities to run both today and tomorrow.  Part of me wants to squeeze in a lunch time run, but with the shortened week next week I feel like I need to be nose to the grindstone to really get some stuff done this month that I put on my list of goals.

Ginny - my work does have a shower which is nice as I can be pretty stinky after a run

HopesMom - Any microwave can be hazardous in the wrong hands.  I remember my freshmen year in college someone burned popcorn in the microwave and it set off the fire alarm.

Damaris - Almost all of my endurace speed is gone, it's starting to slowly come back, but I know that I won't be where I'm at until I'm consistent and that might not happen until life is more stable.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lew, go get at least a mile at lunch.  It will help you get that work done.

I have 7.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi folks!  I missed pretty much everything yesterday -- I was doing my little weight circuit, and threw in some cat-cow yoga stretches, and promptly tweaked a muscle in my back.  Yeah, I gave myself a yoga injury.    So then I thought about the 2.5 hour commute and decided that everything I needed to do yesterday could be done from home.  So I spent quality time with my laptop and a hot pack, and finished with a bubble bath.  Today is better, though I'm still moving quite gingerly.  I didn't try weights, but I did bike in, and it wasn't awful, though I definitely noticed that muscle.  So I'm on the mend.  Quartet rehearsal tonight!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad you are on the mend!  Good luck with rehearsals!  My piano is supposed to arrive tomorrow!!!

Me:

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

GinnyinPA

HM - sorry you hurt your back. I hope it feels better today.

Jeffrey - you need to be taking care of you right now. Go for a jog - it will help.

D - do they send a piano tuner with the piano?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

They tune it before it leaves the facility and they said that should be enough.  New pianos get tuned before and after but used pianos can stand more. They are professional piano movers so hopefully they know what they are doing.

Damaris

lewjeffrey

Glad I didn't have concrete plans to run at lunch today.  Some days I do fun and exciting stuff at work and other days I fix broken stuff.  Today was one of those fix broken stuff and answer countless questions to the point where I feel like I can't get anything done.  Someone was asking me about an automation that I built and why a certain feature wasn't included and my response was, "that i'll be there in version 2 which will happen when I clone myself."

Singer who runs a smidge

I like that response!!  Good luck with the cloning project, which I assume you're working on in your downtime? 

Back is better today, but it still really didn't like the drive in.  I was able to do weights this morning (carefully!), but I don't bike on Thursdays because of chorus rehearsal.

Speaking of chorus, tonight I'll be videotaping myself for my directing test.  This is part of my director's certification program.  I have to show that I'm not a total doof at directing.  I might be successful, I might not, we'll see.  If I pass, then woot.  If not, then I'll redo it sometime after New Year's, when I've had a bit more directing practice.  But tonight I'll tape, then tomorrow I'll upload to YouTube and send the evaluator a link, and then at some point she'll get back to me with my grade.  I doubt I'll get an answer before Thanksgiving, but I might get one before Christmas!