Beginners and Beyond

talk to me about training for the mile! (Read 47 times)

music_girl117

Hi everyone,

Now that I've just finished my half marathon, my next target is a mile race on June 6 (8 weeks from now).  I have never raced a mile before, so I am wondering if anyone has any tips for training.  I guess I can't really do any speedwork this week as I recover, but maybe starting next week.

So:

I assume that intervals are key - what else? Tempo runs?

I was doing about 30 mpw preparing for my half  -  should I continue with a long run each week or would I be better off distributing those miles onto other runs during the week and maybe adding a second speed day?

I have a VERY steep hill near me that takes about 20-25 seconds to charge up - I will definitely hit that for hill repeats probably once a week (or more? less?)

Is it worth doing a time trial at some point?  If so, when?  Just one time trial, or more than one before my race?  I have never run anything shorter than a 5k so I admit I have no idea what mile pace should feel like.

Any other comments or ideas?  thanks!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

B-Plus

I have my first on June 6 as well. I'm just gonna show up and see what happens. I'm pretty sure I can finish it.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

400m repeats....   many... and fast...

It is not fun...

Love the Half

Run a lot of short stuff really fucking fast.  Be prepared for pain the likes of which you have never experienced.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You'd be better off skipping the hill repeats and focusing on learning pacing by running 400m repeats at your anticipated mile race pace. It may take some trial and error to figure out what that is, but you should be able to run 8-10 of them with a 400m jog recovery between.

You might want to start with a time trial to get some idea of what your pace should be. It's not unusual for beginners to start too fast and fade the last lap to lap and a half because they aren't used to running fast for more than the final 100m in a 5K race. You should be able to pick up a lot of speed between then and the race, so don't be discouraged if the time trial isn't as fast as you expected.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

One should not discriminate in their training, especially when training for distances from the 10k and down.  200's at faster than mile pace, 400's at mile pace, 1000's at 5k pace and 1200's at 10k pace all have a place in your regimen.

The closer you get to the mile race though the fast 400's become the focus. I did not do a time trial but it is a good idea, as is a dozen other ideas. lol

Seriously, there really is no wrong way to train for the mile provided you are holding your base, doing speed work twice a week and running long-ish once.

There is a wrong way to race it though; looking at your watch. That is something you want to avoid at all costs. Take it from someone who learned it the hard way!

LRB

I have my first on June 6 as well.

I would pay good money to see that!

PADRunner

Funny I just saw one today on 5/23.

B-Plus

I would pay good money to see that!

First 1/4 in 65 then walk it in.

LRB

First 1/4 in 65 then walk it in.

I did it in 75 then literally stopped running. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've never raced a mile....you could pick up Daniel s Running Formula on amazon. I have the second edition and it has training plans for the 800m to 3k (I think, its at home and I'm at work).  Used on amazon, you'll probably pay more for shipping than the book.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's only a mile. What's so hard about that. Sprint around the track 4 times plus a little extra.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

music_girl117

Big grin

Thanks everyone; we'll see how it goes!  Sounds like the mile isn't the distance of choice for a lot of you...

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

LRB

Sounds like the mile isn't the distance of choice for a lot of you...

Nah we are just messing around. I would race one a week if I could. lol

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Big grin

Thanks everyone; we'll see how it goes!  Sounds like the mile isn't the distance of choice for a lot of you...

It's my favorite race distance - really. I've just gotten sidetracked the last couple years with these ultras. I even won the mile at the Intramural Track Meet while I was a student at UConn.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K