Beginners and Beyond

Talking about Tuesdailies (Read 49 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning all!

Hope you all enjoyed runs that were as nice as mine was last night. As I titled my Strava run, have you ever run in weather so nice you were honestly convinced you could run forever? I really think I would have, if it wasn't for the fact that I had someone waiting for me at home that I didn't want to start worrying about me. As it was I turned an 8 into a 10, and just had a blast. I even let the back half get a little more spicy, including grabbing a segment PR for no reason. Legs are a little tired from the effort, but not in a bad way.

Heading to a neighboring community for a preview run of a race they put on...not because I'm running the race, but just because it's something we always do 

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

'Morning!!  Sounds like a nice run last night, SIAR.  Mine this morning was beautifully chilly.  I could do 42 degrees all year.  I did 6 miles at the track and my legs felt good.  It's nice to not be trashed immediately after a marathon, instead of needing weeks of recovery.  I've got another run to do tonight.

On another note, a friend of mine asked me to join his Ragnar team next spring.  He wants to have a "competitive" team.  I really have ZERO desire to do a Ragnar, so I politely told him NFW. 

<3

From the Internet.

Morning! 4-5 easy miles in a bit. Fighting off a cold and drinking water like it's my job. I should be good by this weekend - thought I kicked this thing last week but busy weekend didn't do me any favors I guess. I don't feel terrible, not even congested, just achy throat and needed a ton of sleep last night.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  RD # 2 for me.

Husband is back in Miami so when I heard a bang at 3:30am I had to go inspect myself, ha. So, gun in hand, I go downstairs only to realize one of my cats had turned over one of the shoe racks still unpacked. FFS.

Damaris

LRB

have you ever run in weather so nice you were honestly convinced you could run forever?

Hmm, actually, no. 

That feeling is rare but amazing. Glad you can experience it again!

LRB

It was 32 or so degrees this morning which is hard to beat. And speaking of a beating, that's what I took during my 80 minute session with Gosia last night. Geezus, my IT bands were so tight it was if they were made of wood. By the time the stupid thing was over I knew there was no way in hell I was going to run this morning and I didn't! I will do that later.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

ran 2.7 in 35 degree weather. Thankfully no wind. Chilly but felt kind of good. But not looking forward to what's coming next...

SIAR - what a great feeling! I find it less and less frequent as I get older but every once in a while...

8 miles.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It was 32 or so degrees this morning which is hard to beat. And speaking of a beating, that's what I took during my 80 minute session with Gosia last night. Geezus, my IT bands were so tight it was if they were made of wood. By the time the stupid thing was over I knew there was no way in hell I was going to run this morning and I didn't! I will do that later.

I'm beginning to wonder if there are just two different crowds - the IT band crowd, and the hamstring crowd. I can't even conceptualize what IT band pain is, while my significant other's get so sore that you can't even place your hand on them without her yelping. And then for me, my hamstrings constantly feel like garbage, while she rarely ever mentions hers. My sample size is a little larger than just the two of us, but I admit that it's rather small to build a theory on. It just strikes me that different strides and body types could lead to pain in different areas, perhaps to the extent that some regions are extra problematic on specific runners while others areas are more insulated from injury.

Baboon...it is great to be able to run a marathon and feel good afterwards. I remember one I did where I ran hard and then came home and walked a round of golf I felt so good.

Lauren...good luck with the cold! I feel like I've been on the cusp forever, and it has a lot to do with my busy schedule too.

Wolvmar..Ohhh don't say it! I hope runs like that aren't an age thing. You're right though, the feeling is absolutely lighting in a bottle.

8.65, lots of dirt. Right hams are going to take a while; at 7.5 I thought I’d easily make 12 πŸ˜€ but at 8 I was just hoping to make it back to my carπŸ˜›

sdWhiskers

I'm beginning to wonder if there are just two different crowds - the IT band crowd, and the hamstring crowd. I can't even conceptualize what IT band pain is, while my significant other's get so sore that you can't even place your hand on them without her yelping. And then for me, my hamstrings constantly feel like garbage, while she rarely ever mentions hers. My sample size is a little larger than just the two of us, but I admit that it's rather small to build a theory on. It just strikes me that different strides and body types could lead to pain in different areas, perhaps to the extent that some regions are extra problematic on specific runners while others areas are more insulated from injury.

I'm happily in neither group (knocks on wood!). I did a leg workout at the gym last night so my quads/hamstrings/glutes feel sore this morning but good sore. When people talk about hamstring issues, I don't really understand what they mean.

My shoes used to wear only on the outside of my heels. Over the past year, I've noticed they are also wearing on the ball of the foot. Seems like a good thing? I haven't done anything except seems like my cadence has gradually increased also (from ~168-169 to ~173-174 for easy runs).

I'll ride the 'no injury' train as long as I can. I'm sure at some point it'll catch up with me. Also the reason why I'm afraid to stop doing weekly strength training.

sdWhiskers

6 miles in the darkest dark. Like I finished my run, took a shower and only then was daylight starting to appear.

I usually run all around my town in the dark but this morning I needed to stay in the neighborhood since MrW worked early and DS was home alone. I actually saw 4 other runners with headlamps out and about which is 4 more than I usually see.

Team Hamstring.

Dave

6 miles in the darkest dark. Like I finished my run, took a shower and only then was daylight starting to appear.

I usually run all around my town in the dark but this morning I needed to stay in the neighborhood since MrW worked early and DS was home alone. I actually saw 4 other runners with headlamps out and about which is 4 more than I usually see.

I scratch my head at all the people I see out running in the dark mornings with no lights, no reflective surfaces, and wearing all black.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Team Hamstring.

Can we make t-shirts?

SD...That's awesome! Do you think some of that injury immunity is down to your cross training? I'd love to have been blessed with just general good athletic health, but I was plagued by injuries starting with youth sports into college athletics and now in my adult activities. As for the shoe wear spots, I think that ball of the foot wear reflects the most neutral stride, so that's generally a good thing. Sometimes people that are heavy midfoot/forefoot strikers struggle a little more with PF than others, but I think that's a little more minor than some of the injuries associated with other wear spots. My shoes wear pretty much just in the middle as well, although I have a fairly pronounced toe-off so there there is wear at the very front too.