Beginners and Beyond

Don't "Goose" The Sunday Penguins! (Read 19 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Penguins and Happy Mother's Day to our Mom's !

Went for my run which sometimes goes thru this really nice office park with paved trails, ponds and fountains. Well I round a bend on the trail coming up to one of the ponds and there was Momma and Dada goose with about 5 little ones. As soon as they saw me the one goose put on it's "game face" - bent forward, neck hunched down, beak open and hissing. I stopped in my track and thought, should I run by really fast or stealthily go by slowly. I made one step forward and the goose started coming after me. I high tailed it in the opposite direction and the goose enjoyed it's victory!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning and Happy MOther's Day!

10 miles done.  Weather was hell to hideous so I dropped at 10.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Gus: geese are MEAN!! I had one chase me and he was mad about something.

Docket: good job on the  10. Humidity?

DW is sleeping so I am starting laundry. I am going out for 4 or 5 easy. Later we have a big day planned with the Germans. Lots of sausages, chicken for grilling, pretzels, beer, presents for the moms.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Galore!

Gus: geese are MEAN!! I had one chase me and he was mad about something.

Docket: good job on the  10. Humidity?

DW is sleeping so I am starting laundry. I am going out for 4 or 5 easy. Later we have a big day planned with the Germans. Lots of sausages, chicken for grilling, pretzels, beer, presents for the moms.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Docket: yuck! I was in Washington DC and the second you walk outside is an instant shower. Just dripping! I don't know how you can run in that. You beast!!! (I mean that as a compliment) Wink

Bin Running

Happy Mother day to all mum.

Gustav, glad you outran the geese. They can be quite fierce.

Damaris, sorry abt the weather and humidity.

Jack, enjoy the German food.

Sleepin this morning but managed to clock some miles maybe 4-5(yet to map) at parents place. Another round of food with mum and siblings. Crabs and prawns!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Gustav - I did a run along a canal a few weeks ago that had several families of Canadian geese sunning themselves on the bank.  I did what you did - ran forward to see if I could scare them off.  There weren't any babies yet, so they did move aside.  If there had been goslings though, I'd have turned back.

Damaris - good job on the ten in the damp inferno.

Jack - enjoy your family celebration.  Hope you get the five in first.

Bin - do your parents live some place with nice running trails?

Beautiful cool windy day here.  After we walk the dog, I'll go out for 5 or so.  No Mother's Day celebrations here.  My mother is gone and I had no children, so no excuse to indulge.  Drat.

Zelanie

Good morning!  DD has made some scones that are in the oven, and I am enjoying my coffee and the forums.  Happy mothers' day to the other moms out there!

Gustav- My neighbor had some mean geese that would attack my car.  But when they came at us, we would move forward as if we were going to pick it up by the neck.  They always took off at the last minute.  But I don't know if that would work with wild geese.

Alternatively, the neighbor's geese were scared of her peacocks.  Apparently, peacocks are badasses.  So you could carry a peacock feather with you and the geese would think you were a peacock and stay away.  Unfortunately this only works if the geese know about peacocks.

D- Good job getting 10 in hideous weather!

Jack- Have a good mothers' day with the extended fam!

Bin- Enjoy your day!

Ginny- Sounds like you get to indulge in a lovely 5 miler on a beautiful day!

hog4life

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms.

Gustav, be careful with the geese.

Damaris, nice job on the 10.

Jack, sounds like a great day for you, enjoy.

Bin, enjoy time with the family.

Ginny, my mother is gone too, sometimes this day is hard for me.

Zel, so sweet of DD. I'm glad to hear that you are getting into doctor sooner.

AFM, just getting off work thi morning, slept a couple hours, about to head to church. It's a really nice day, so I'll get a run in after some yard work.

Bin Running

Ginny, no nice trail that I knew off but it's pretty close to the beach. So, thats where I ran.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

3 more and weights this afternoon.  If anything, the weather was worse this afternoon, bah!

Damaris

Sloooow.

Today is turning out to be a rest day. I'd planned on getting record (for me) weekly mileage, but I'm going to roll it over a week. The last time I had a 12 mile week, I really hurt. This past two weeks I have 12.8 and 12.6 and I feel good. I'll increase by about 10% next week and aim for 14 miles, then maintain for two weeks again. I don't know what my goal is. 15? 20? I just want a good base.

Bin Running

Just mapped.. 6.56 done.. wohoo~!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar