Beginners and Beyond

Do you fear the pain of race day? (Read 88 times)

Love the Half

Hell yes, it scares the shit out of me.  I race about once a month but I only run 1-2 "A" races each year.  In part, that's because my body won't tolerate being at that high level of fitness for very long but it's also in part because I stand at the start line, scared as hell about what's to come and that fear starts at least 2-3 days before the race.

One of the things I learned from 30 years in the military is that courage isn't the absence of fear.  The only people with an absence of fear are those who are too stupid or too ignorant to be afraid.  Courage is doing what needs to be done despite your fear.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Hell yes, it scares the shit out of me.  I race about once a month but I only run 1-2 "A" races each year.  In part, that's because my body won't tolerate being at that high level of fitness for very long but it's also in part because I stand at the start line, scared as hell about what's to come and that fear starts at least 2-3 days before the race.

Great. Like that's going to help her. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

One of the things I learned from 30 years in the military is that courage isn't the absence of fear.  The only people with an absence of fear are those who are too stupid or too ignorant to be afraid.  Courage is doing what needs to be done despite your fear.

I love that. Well said.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

Mile 23

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

From the Internet.

The second quote is very much what happens after giving birth. Women in general forget what the delivery was really like. If they didn't, all families would only have one child.

Something else I know: if you've given birth in the past, pain from a race isn't really a big thing.

LOL, this is why my daughter is an only child! :P Couldn't pay me to do that again.

Racing is fun, what I fear is the recovery afterward. But I quit being silly and built an aerobic base this year (well, still building now), recovery is probably faster and easier when you're not running 10-12 miles per week maximum and then trying to race as fast as you can on legs that aren't used to being beaten up :P

LRB

I'm trying to change my mindset and just focus on running a good race and let the time be, what it will be.  

But, I can't seem to do that.  If I'm going to be out there, I know I'm going to want to run as hard as I can.

I actually like where you are.  All those weeks of training where the race seemed eons away are now behind you and the race is upon you.

To be honest with you, I think your thoughts are perfectly normal.

onemile

Another good technique is to do a float workout where you go back-n-forth between race pace and faster than race pace. For the marathon for example I would do one mile @ marathon pace followed by a mile @ half marathon pace [or even 5-7 sec./mile faster] followed by another marathon pace mile. You could do shorter repeats and for the 5k you'd definitetly want to cut down the 800-1000m or you could shorten the faster portion; 800m / 400m / 800m / 400m. Knowing you not only have another gear but feel comfortable using under duress it is a big time plus.

I will have to try this.  I'm about done with my 5k's for a bit but maybe for my upcoming half  or fall marathon training.

Hip Redux

I don't fear the pain.  I do fear failure of my goals though.   I am a sore loser.

MothAudio

Moth --  I do think I tend to fear my reaction to the pain, more than the actual pain.    I had a race last year where the voice inside my head won, and I was really disappointed with myself.

That's what separates victory and defeat.

Your response.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RSX

The only pain I fear on race day is heartburn . It never happened at a race, and no runs in the last 5 years but it is always a concern

LRB

I am a sore loser.

What does that make me, a raging lunatic?  lol  I am so hard on myself when I do not attain a race goal, which is odd because I am not like that in any other aspect of life.  Not a single one!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What does that make me, a raging lunatic?  lol  I am so hard on myself when I do not attain a race goal, which is odd because I am not like that in any other aspect of life.  Not a single one!

I think we already cleared this up yesterday....

Damaris

LRB

I think we already cleared this up yesterday....

I'm trying to do better, I mean after today I am. 

Don't call me Buttercup!

Something else I know: if you've given birth in the past, pain from a race isn't really a big thing.

Truth.  Except for one thing.  You can't exactly STOP giving birth.  Once you're in labor, that's it.  You have to keep going.  But in a race, your mind knows you can quit.  So if there's pain, you have to convince yourself to keep going anyway.  That's harder for some than it is for others.

(Full disclosure - the first time I gave birth, I told the nurse I changed my mind.  Mid-labor. "Never mind,  I want to go home". LOL)

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

1 mile - Legs - OMFG he's trying to kill us.  Make him stop!

"Shush legs, only 400m to go."

5K - Body - Dude, you're doing this again?

"I have to listen to your incessant bullshit for another 12 minutes?  It's only 2 more miles, wuss.  Hurry up."

HM - Brain - Hey, I have a good idea, let's stay home and sleep.

"Go to your room, Brain.  You're grounded for well over an hour.  And shut the door."

26.2 - Brain, Body (in unison) - Hey, this is the reason you run every day, right?

"Yup, and I can't do it without you guys, let's go."