Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAILIES (Read 40 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rocky is a cutie, FS!

I managed 12.3 miles last night which is the longest I have run since my marathon way back in December.  I'm leaning towards signing up for the HM later this month just to test the waters.

Lol thanks, good luck on the HM later this month Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

That's a fast pace, Cy. I have no doubt you will strongly BQ on your first.

I have 15 easy after I finish some house cleaning. Did 22 yesterday, 8:19 the first 20, felt okay. Then I stopped to eat a protein bar, just because I wanted the break, then I willed myself to add another 2 miles at recovery pace, 9:14. It was hard mentally. Those last 2 miles were as tough as any of the last two miles of my marathons. When I finished, I wanted to bang my head repeatedly on the front panel. Instead, I sat on the TM and tried to calculate my overall pace. I was so brain drained that I spent half an hour staring at numbers, unable to calculate. Running makes me stupid.

*Edited to replace the word dumb with the word stupid. I guess it's not sensitive to use the word "dumb" in the context of stupid. I'm still learning in so many ways... Never too old...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

I have 15 easy after I finish some house cleaning. Did 22 yesterday, 8:19 the first 20, felt okay. Then I stopped to eat a protein bar, just because I wanted the break, then I willed myself to add another 2 miles at recovery pace, 9:14. It was hard mentally. Those last 2 miles were as tough as any of the last two miles of my marathons. When I finished, I wanted to bang my head repeatedly on the front panel. Instead, I sat on the TM and tried to calculate my overall pace. I was so brain drained that I spent half an hour staring at numbers, unable to calculate. Running makes me stupid.

How to make yourself hate running.... run 22 miles on Saturday, followed by 15 on Sunday.  

Are you still planning to run Boston or is this just base building?

Cyberic

Did 22 yesterday  ...  

Darn, you are strong. You amaze me!

Cyberic

How to make yourself hate running.... run 22 miles on Saturday, followed by 15 on Sunday.  

This^^

Little Blue

On a treadmill. 

happylily

I am base building mostly for a marathon next November. It may be my last, I think I've had it with marathon training. I'd like to finish with a time I will be proud of, so I can't afford to do anything stupid between now and then. I haven't been doing any speedword lately, just MP and easy runs. I don't have my heart set on Boston. I feel that 9 or 10 weeks isn't good enough training for it (For me. I know that others have done great on that, as I have myself in the past. But I am back from an extended break and a few medical problems and I would need more than 10 weeks before I could say than I'm Boston ready).

As for the high weekend mileage, I'm used to it. It's been difficult lately to run after work, I feel exhausted and stressed and I just want to lay down. It's like a mental blockage. I'm only running 5 days a week, now.

Baboon

delicate flower

Jay, that is a freakin sweet prize!  I don't know anything about guitars, but it sure is nice to look at!

I ran.  5.5 recovery miles with the wife.  Nice and easy...felt good on my legs.  I got my training plan for the upcoming week and I'll be back up near 70 miles.  HOORAY!!

<3

Cyberic

This finally arrived!

I had to email the RD, but he got someone on the ball pronto and it was here 2 days later.  Here are the specs if anyone is interested, it's all greek to me.

BTW, if you don't know what to do with it, I'll trade it for a few finisher's medals, and I could even throw in the race T-Shirts Wink

happylily

Yes! The guitar is as cool as Jay! I love it!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am base building mostly for a marathon next November. It may be my last, I think I've had it with marathon training. I'd like to finish with a time I will be proud of, so I can't afford to do anything stupid between now and then. I haven't been doing any speedword lately, just MP and easy runs. I don't have my heart set on Boston. I feel that 9 or 10 weeks isn't good enough training for it (For me. I know that others have done great on that, as I have myself in the past. But I am back from an extended break and a few medical problems and I would need more than 10 weeks before I could say than I'm Boston ready).

As for the high weekend mileage, I'm used to it. It's been difficult lately to run after work, I feel exhausted and stressed and I just want to lay down. It's like a mental blockage. I'm only running 5 days a week, now.

Hugs.

Damaris

onemile

I can't imagine doing 22 mile long runs now, for a marathon in November.  My god.

Sorry to hear you won't be at Boston. But I understand not wanting to travel for it if you can't run the race you wanted.  Especially since you have run it before.

DavePNW

I can't imagine doing 22 mile long runs 

FYP. Ha. I had to check my log, I have actually done one, my longest LR ever.

Dave

workinprogress11

Dave-I'm sorry about the knee acting up

Baboon-Great race yesterday. Congratulations!  I'm looking forward to the RR.

Little Blue- I'm sorry about the back. Back problems can be stubborn but sometimes you go to bed hurting and wake up the next day as if there was never a problem.

Lily- You may not feel strong but 22 followed by 15 is not something done by someone who isn't strong. Your physical and mental fortitude impress me to no end.

On a related note, I've decided to wuss out on the marathon in April and drop down to the half. I just can't work up any enthusiasm for training properly in this weather or on the treadmill (though I admire the hell out of those who can) and will try to run a respectable half and search for a fall marathon.  Right now I feel nothing but relief so I think it's the right decision. At this rate I'm not going to BQ until I'm 70, but BQ or die trying!

Any suggestions for a flat, fast fall marathon other than Chicago?

onemile

FYP. Ha. I had to check my log, I have actually done one, my longest LR ever.

I did one in 2010.  It took me nearly 4 hours.  

I thought... how am I going to run 6 more miles than I have ever run before on race day?