Beginners and Beyond

SUNDAILIES (Read 40 times)

LRB

2- That is the idea, for me too. When it actually becomes a possibility that I could win the darn things, depending on who shows up, and blablabla, racing will become much more appealing. That could include winning by AG.  You are there, I am not. I have checked the times from last year for the 5K I'll be running. There's no way I can make top 10.

I went in increments over a period of years; sub-22:00, 21:00, 20:00, 19:00. Riding the ups and downs along the way.

There is something to be said for earning your spot in the starting corral, many of us beginning in the back and working our way up. Some through racing and training, others solely through training.

In either case as long as you are happy or content that is all that matters. That goes equal for those whose goal is a sub-20:00, or a sub-30:00. 

B-Plus

Thanks!  In the Hitogamis 2.  I have always been reticent with the Hitos because they have hardly any support but so far, my legs are surviving.

Glad you found something that works. I picked up a couple pairs of the 1s recently for cheap.

happylily

LRB is a wise man, listen to him, Cy. Plus, if we only confined ourselves to things we excel at, by gosh, I would not be allowed to do anything in life... I have not been gifted with any real skills, even running is something I'm only moderately good at, not gifted with. I race knowing that I won't be the best on the course, but I will be a challenge to some. That's good enough for me. Racing (and training) is also for me a way to experience some of life's most intense feelings and human conditions: pain, perseverance, hope, disappointment, joy, thrill, anxiety, self-control, the fight for the kill, etc... Those things are not just about me, they are also things I witness in my fellow runner friends the day of the race. I love being a witness of what is the greatest and the most beautiful in human beings. Racing, for me, is like fighting for life. And I like a big nice tacky medal too.

15 incredibly slow miles (9:04 ). But no leg pain, that's what matters most.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Glad you found something that works. I picked up a couple pairs of the 1s recently for cheap.

We'll see.  If not, I have my Elixirs still.  If I cannot solve the sock/toe problem, I might use the Elixirs, just because they bother my toe less.  But I like them so far and my feet feel fine now.  The Hitogami 1s hurt my feet after a few miles.

Damaris

Zelanie

Mileage recovery plan successful- 12 done on the TM (first time I think I've done back-to-back 12s).

Cy- Although I can sometimes place in local 5Ks (maybe not now that I'm moving into the more competitive 40-44 AG), I'm a pretty solid middle of the packer everywhere that I race.  But that doesn't mean I don't sometimes end up in a race with the people around me when we're racing.  I've pulled even with people, only to have them hold me off, and then it is ON.  Or I just pick targets and try to run them down, or figure out how to outkick somebody or other.  That's still racing.  And we get to share a bit of camaraderie at the finish before heading off our separate ways.

happylily

We'll see.  If not, I have my Elixirs still.  If I cannot solve the sock/toe problem, I might use the Elixirs, just because they bother my toe less.  But I like them so far and my feet feel fine now.  The Hitogami 1s hurt my feet after a few miles.

D, you ran strong today. Well done! Do you prefer a wider toe box? My right foot has turned mutant on me in the last couple of years and I have a difficult time now wearing Asics because of their narrow toe box. My little toe becomes incredibly sore if I put too many miles in my Asics. I also have a very rigid right big toe that gives me all sorts of problems. Do you do stretching exercises for your toes? I should, but I find it so boring I forget most of the time.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

Bertha- Wow, good for you for sticking with it!  Glad we didn't have to send a St. Bernard with a barrel out to rescue you!

Cyberic

Mileage recovery plan successful- 12 done on the TM (first time I think I've done back-to-back 12s).

Cy- Although I can sometimes place in local 5Ks (maybe not now that I'm moving into the more competitive 40-44 AG), I'm a pretty solid middle of the packer everywhere that I race.  But that doesn't mean I don't sometimes end up in a race with the people around me when we're racing.  I've pulled even with people, only to have them hold me off, and then it is ON.  Or I just pick targets and try to run them down, or figure out how to outkick somebody or other.  That's still racing.  And we get to share a bit of camaraderie at the finish before heading off our separate ways.

I've only raced one small event, and the rest were big mega races, and I enjoyed the small race more because of the camaraderie. That's why I'm going back this year to the same event in may, except it will be the 5k instead of the 10k. Now that is a good point that could convince me. I'll see after the race if I'm hooked or not Smile

Cyberic

I'm really tired from today's run. It might be the accumulation of friday's intervals, yesterday's 12 miler, and today's 9 at GMP. I've just decided that tomorrow will be a rest day.

Half Crazy K 2.0

50 minutes on the treadmill. Been sleeting all day, so no way was I leaving the house.

LRB

I also might step on a scale for the first time in forever. 

Hip Redux

To recap my day:

Left the house to go meet my running partner and 10 minutes in get a text that she's bailing on me.

Go on the run anyway and get frustrated enough with the messy sidewalks that I run in the (busy) street.  Almost get taken out by a city bus.

LRS was having a blood drive, decide to give blood.  Something goes horribly awry and mucho blood ends up all over the floor, chair, nurse, and so forth.  Nurse tries to clean my arm up with little alcohol wet naps which does nothing, so I went around with bloody knuckles until I could get to a Starbucks bathroom to wash up proper.

On the way home, the snow picks up to the point where it takes me 2xs as long.  And then I got stuck at the foot of the hill to my house.  Had to drive around the long way and in the process, almost rear end someone at the stop light because of the slick roads.

So... fun times. lol

Zelanie

Something goes horribly awry and mucho blood ends up all of the floor, chair, nurse, and so forth.

Glad you're OK.

LRB

To recap my day:

FFS, yo. lol

Hip Redux

Glad you're OK.

I was fine.  I just ended up donating a little extra. lol  The poor nurse was all wigged out though.  And then had a huge mess/decon to deal with.