Beginners and Beyond

RR With Photos- EWEB Run to Stay Warm HM - Photo added p.3 (Read 106 times)

Zelanie

Executive Summary- Second Half Marathon.  Chip time 1:55:02, 58 second PR, 38 second negative split, 7/25 AG, 200/496 OA, 76/291 Female

Background: I ran my first half marathon this past April, but finished with a knee injury and had to take about two months off.  After a round of PT, I worked on building my base back up to get ready for this race.  I didn’t follow any specific plan this time.  Instead, I first worked on getting back to 30 MPW comfortably with all easy runs.  Once I could do that, I kept my mileage the same, but added a long run and eventually once-a-week speedwork (either a track workout or tempo).  Then, once I felt comfortable at a certain mileage level, I bumped it up.  I averaged just under 40 MPW for the 10 weeks leading up to the race, and peaked at 45.  I just did a one-week taper for this race, although I did cut my LR last week. For LRs, I ran 15 once, 14 once, and a handful of 13s.

I wasn’t really sure what to aim for as far as goals, but I did have a couple of good 10Ks about 6 weeks back, and in training the 8:30s had been feeling better and better recently. So I decided that a “good” day would be sub-1:55, and a “great” day would be sub-1:52. I knew I could run the distance, but had no idea how prepared I was to hold my pace for the distance.

PreRace- The past few days have been cold in Oregon!  But it was sunny and clear, with very little wind.  I decided to rent a hoody and knit cap from Goodwill for this race, but under that I just went with a short sleeve top, sparkle skirt, and calf sleeves.  I also wore my favorite pair of Kinvaras.  They arrived at my house the day of the Boston Marathon, plus I was injured and wasn’t running, so for a while they just sat sadly in the closet.  I only started wearing them recently, but I swear that every run I’ve worn them for has been a good one.

The race was my first down in Eugene, Track Town USA, of course!  It is a benefit for their local low-income heating assistance program.  I got to the race site with plenty of time and did a 2-mile warmup along the course with 4 sets of strides.  It was still in the mid-20’s at that point, but clear and sunny.  I wore hand warmers in my gloves!  The entire course was along paved trails by the Willamette River, and was really lovely.  On my warmup, I saw that there were ice patches along the trail.  It wasn’t too slippery, but definitely required a little bit of attention and careful footing.

Start- I had been looking for JDrumm, who was also running the race, but hadn’t spotted him yet.  Then I got to the starting line, and realized that I had lined up next to him!  Perfect!  So we got to catch up a bit while we waited for the race to start.  We wished each other luck, and then were off.

It was very, very crowded at the start since you go from a parking lot to a bike path.  And maybe I started too far back.  I realized that I had to focus on getting clear because going with traffic at that spot was not going to get me to race pace.  It was about a half mile before I had any control at all over how fast I was running, and a mile before I was really in the clear.

I ditched the hat a 0.2 miles, and the jacket at the first mile marker.

Mile 1- 8:54

We crossed the Willamette for the first time and went into the park.  I felt pretty good, and was easing into my race pace.  We passed the 5K turnaround, but since the 5K started 15 minutes later, they weren’t there yet.

Mile 2- 8:42

So far, so good.  There was a group of three chatty girls near me, talking about the housing market, and home renovations, etc.  Everyone else was quiet or had headphones on.  There was a guy who had my same calf sleeves plus Saucony shoes that looked like Kinvaras.  I decided to try to keep him in sight.  Right before the third mile marker, we got to a turnaround point that was also the first water station.  Danger!  I was happy to be through before it was too crowded.

Mile 3- 8:50

I saw JDrumm on the out and back section, he looked good.  Then I happily pulled away from the chatty girls, but my equipment twin guy had pulled ahead of me and was out of sight.

Mile 4- 8:41

I took my first gel.  I know I don’t need them, but at least they are a confidence boost.

Mile 5- 8:49

Somewhere in here we ran into 5Kers and 10Kers.  The path was wide enough that it seemed to work.

Mile 6- 8:43

Still feels pretty easy, too easy even, but I don’t have enough experience to know whether to push or not.  They had a mat for the halfway split, which was nice.  I realize that I’m behind pace for sub-1:55 and had better step it up.  But I’m honestly scared that I will crash and burn, and know I feel good at my current pace.  I caught sight of equipment twin guy again, and focused on catching him.

Mile 7- 8:46

I pull almost even with equipment twin guy.  Close enough that I can see that he also has the same kind of Balega socks that I am wearing.  His shoes look like they have many more miles on them.  He also looks like he’s a bit behind pace himself, since every now and then he glances at his watch, speeds up, and then gradually slows down.  I can’t quite pass him.

Mile 8- 8:35

I take my second gel, and instantly get a strange cramp in the bottom left of my abdomen, almost down in my hip.  I don’t know whether it’s the water or the gel or just random, but I back off my pace just a bit.  I pass a woman who is calling her doctor on the phone.  I hope that she’s doing OK, but not sure how much mid-race help she is going to get via telephone.

I slowed down enough that the chatty girls have caught and even passed me.  At least they aren’t quite as chatty anymore.

Mile 9- 9:05

I realized that this is exactly what I did in my first half.  Maintaining the same effort as I was during the first half is going to get me slower and slower paces from here on out.  I realize that I have a choice- I can let that happen, or fight it.  So I fight.  I gave a little surge just as we’re crossing the second footbridge to go back to the other side of the river.  My surge takes me past the chatty girls, and I find that I am back on pace and seem to be able to hold it.  Equipment twin guy looks like he’s speeding up, though.

Mile 10- 8:44

Just a 5K left, but it is a fight between my brain and my legs.  I’m still on pace for sub-1:55, but barely.

Mile 11- 8:48

Mile 12- 8:44

Now my hip decides that it has had enough for the day.  And it is pretty serious about things.  Not injured, it would just rather slow down right now thank you very much.  I know there’s not much left, but it still feels like an eternity.

Mile 13- 9:01

I see the 13 mile flag and just go for it.  And according to Garmin, I have an awesome kick.  Where was that 25 second ago?  I don’t know.

Last 0.12- 6:50 pace.  But it sure doesn’t look like that in the video that DD took of my finish!  I wonder if the truth is somewhere in between the numbers of my last two paces.

Final thoughts: I crossed the mat in 1:55:3X gun time, and was happy to see 1:55:02 chip time.   Three measly seconds off my goal!  Still, I think I ran about as well as I could have today, judging by how those last 3 felt.  No regrets!

My husband and DD met me at the finish, and we got to say hi to JDrumm and meet his wife.  We went to the after party at a nearby restaurant, but it was not all that exciting, so we went out for waffles instead.

Overall, it was a good race.  I’m back to about where I was in the spring, but I think that I have a more solid base under me now.  Today was a 58 second PR (and, according to the results, I also negative split today’s race by 38 seconds).  I am registered for next year’s Corvallis Half Marathon in April, but don’t really have any firm plans until then.  Until today, I was just focused on being able to finish a half uninjured.  I am pretty sure that I accomplished that, but the next few days will tell.

As far as training goes, I think that I had the speed and endurance that I needed for my race today.  I did not have the stamina, which honestly I suspected going in.  I did more pure track workouts than tempos, and I didn’t do any longer tempo runs.  I sort of ran out of time in my training to get to them.  I have been looking at some plans that include faster miles in the long run, and think that something like that would really help me get to the next level as far as racing goes.

Thanks for reading this far- it was a long one!  Hope that you enjoyed it, or at least skipped the boring parts. Wink

Photos: I will edit with official photos once they are in.  My DD also took a video of the finish that she posted on Facebook, but because it's "hers" and not "mine" I don't think that her settings will let me share it.  I think if you are my friend on Facebook you should be able to see it.

At the finish.  Working hard.  And heel striking.

This is what your face is supposed to look like at the finish, right?  I think I have scared that guy over on the sidelines.

After I'd had a chance to walk it off a bit.

And finally- here is the waffle that I had. Cool

Nata2011

Congrats on PR! Awesome finishing pics - you are working hard!

Just B.S.

Such a great comeback from the injury and a wonderful result!!! Congrats!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Nice, Z!!!!

Congrats to you!!  That is a fast HM!

And what's with the chick calling her doc mid-run?  I don't even know if I could get my doc on the phone ANY time much less in the middle of a run!!  (pffft)

Hip ok??

Knee did good??

Love the waffe too!!  And the cup of moch-whatchamacallit next to that looks good too!

Randy

LRB

Aside from a blip or two, your splits were consistent.  I think you did great.

Regarding tempo runs, they are the glue that holds it all together on race day.  I have no issues with tempo intervals, but find steady state tempo runs incredibly difficult mentally to hold focus, so I use 10k races for the same purpose, sometimes running them at tempo pace.

If you are like me and loathe the seemingly unending painful monotony of prolonged tempo runs, race a 10k every two weeks.  It may seem a little pricey, but it pays huge dividends long term.

Congrats on a near flawlessly executed race plan!

PADRunner

Congrats on a great race!

Zelanie

Nata, Beth, PAD- Thank you! Smile

Redrum- I know, I was like WTF!  Who calls their doctor during a race?  And on a Sunday morning, even?  I was tempted to eavesdrop, but I all I really heard was, "Hello, is this Dr. Whatshisname" before I was getting out of earshot.  And I hadn't been paying any attention at all to her before I heard that.  The drink was just a plan old hot cocoa.  I never get those, but was in the mood today. Smile

LRB- Thanks for the feedback.  I think the two 10Ks I ran did me a lot of good.  But the last one was 6 weeks out.  I will have to see what my options are for the spring.  But maybe doing some more Daniels-style training with some longer quality workouts would  help quite a bit.  I think his Running Formula is going on my Christmas list. Smile

outoftheblue

Any time you run a slight negative split and PR is cause for celebration in my opinion.  Great job and congrats!!!  I really enjoyed your detailed RR, including your descriptions the way you paced/raced against twin equipment guy and the chatty girls.  Nice pics too.  I hope that waffle was as yummy as it looked.

Life is good.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Can't we just round 1:55:02 to 1:55:00?  Great job!

obiebyke

Z, what an awesome report to read, and so close to your goal. Still a PR yippee! Congratulations.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

on my way to badass

Great race and wonderful RR.

Love the waffle!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Congrats and awesome PR and great RR!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

hog4life

Zel, congrats on the PR! You have worked so hard on the come back, and it paid off. You look great too!

Zelanie

redrum- I almost forgot- the knee behaved completely.  And still feels great.  The hip feels fine now that I've rolled it out.  I think the muscle just fatigued.  Something has gotta be the first part to complain I guess.  Piriformis was tight for the first couple of miles, and sore now, but not terribly so.

OOTB- Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed the report.  The waffle was great.  There is a waffle place not too far from the race that I'd been wanting to try for a while, so this was a good excuse.

Jerry- I'm pro-rounding. Smile  As long as I don't have to round any future 1:54:58s up to 1:55!

obie, StoneFence, FreeSoul- Thanks!

Mitch- Thank you!  I think the angle of the photo was doing me a few favors in that one. :P

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on doing so well after dealing with injury earlier this year.  You did great.