Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #14 (Read 32 times)

DavePNW

It’s 25 degrees out! That’s pretty cold around these parts.

8 miles. When I went out it was 26/feels like 20, and I kind of overdressed a little, lol. Anyway I was very pleasantly surprised that some of the sidewalks had gotten cleared. Usually they don’t bother, they just wait for it to melt.

Dave

Cyberic

I ran 8 miles with Beck's Burn Bracket (.5 miles at faster than 5k, 1.5 at MP, .5 faster than 5k with 1 minute recoveries)

Always the fun names!

Cyberic

I had hill repeats too, which I suck at, despite running hills all the time. I don't usually run them fast. Plan said 6 x .25 at 10k pace with the downhills at MP. I ended up doing almost the opposite - downhill at 10k pace and uphill at marathon pace. My lungs and HR wouldn't let me go any faster on the uphills. The effort felt like 1 mile pace uphill and recovery pace downhill.  I should have picked an easier hill. I actually used two different hills when I realized I wasn't going to be able to run the first hill 6 times. I did do it three times.Total run was 7.3 miles with 760' elevation gain, including warmup and cool-down.

Hmmm, depending on the grade of the hill, it changes the workout completely. If it felt like mile effort at MP uphill, it was quite enough IMO.

RunningOnSand

760' elevation gain

OMG, I would die! LOL. Nice workout!!! There's no way I'd be able to run up a hill with that elevation gain @ 10k pace.

RunningOnSand

I thought things were markedly improved so I optimistically did not take cough medicine this morning for the first time in 3 weeks.  It went really well until about 1130a with just an occasional cough, no big deal.  Then I breathed in wrong and it all went to shit    So, I took the medicine and am comforting myself with a hot chocolate (office machine makes a pretty good one).   I don't think I'm going to run today after that coughing fit, it took a while to get it back under control.

On the plus side, I did 3 miles last night on the treadmill at the super slow run/walk paces.  But at least I was moving.  Then I did the 30 minute weight circuit.

Do you think you'll take the medicine tomorrow? Does it have codeine in it? Or maybe that's just for pain. 

RunningOnSand

8 miles. When I went out it was 26/feels like 20, and I kind of overdressed a little, lol. Anyway I was very pleasantly surprised that some of the sidewalks had gotten cleared. Usually they don’t bother, they just wait for it to melt.

I find the windchill can really mess with what I think I can and can't wear. How did your back, and hamstring feel? And maybe some of the PNW'ers learned a bit after last year's crazy snowfall (or was that 2 years ago?).

RunningOnSand

I'm kind of proud of myself. I ripped off the bandaid. So, I did my first workout since last August!!! It went very well. I chose a baby workout (4x400 by effort--probably ended up being more in the "stamina paces" per McMillan, not speed) and it went very well, which means I can probably push the pace a bit more next time. Next week will be cruise intervals of some sort. Anyway, 6.3 total miles. 

I'll also say, that today felt really great from the get go. I'm not sure if it's because I've also been trying to eat better, so I am just naturally feeling a lot better, or it was a fluke day or whatever, but I felt pretty good from the start. These are the days we live for...hoping to have a few more of them in my future, b/c the 2nd half of 2019 sucked. Fingers crossed.

DavePNW

I find the windchill can really mess with what I think I can and can't wear. How did your back, and hamstring feel? And maybe some of the PNW'ers learned a bit after last year's crazy snowfall (or was that 2 years ago?).

Back was pretty gimpy the first mile or two, but loosened up and was fine. Of course it feels pretty awful now. Everything else was Ok. The Snowmageddon was last winter, and this snowfall was not nearly as much, but they did handle it a lot more quickly.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Back was pretty gimpy the first mile or two, but loosened up and was fine. Of course it feels pretty awful now. Everything else was Ok. The Snowmageddon was last winter, and this snowfall was not nearly as much, but they did handle it a lot more quickly.

Sad Grrrr....

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I'm kind of proud of myself. I ripped off the bandaid. So, I did my first workout since last August!!! It went very well. I chose a baby workout (4x400 by effort--probably ended up being more in the "stamina paces" per McMillan, not speed) and it went very well, which means I can probably push the pace a bit more next time. Next week will be cruise intervals of some sort. Anyway, 6.3 total miles. 

I'll also say, that today felt really great from the get go. I'm not sure if it's because I've also been trying to eat better, so I am just naturally feeling a lot better, or it was a fluke day or whatever, but I felt pretty good from the start. These are the days we live for...hoping to have a few more of them in my future, b/c the 2nd half of 2019 sucked. Fingers crossed.

Way to go! What a great feeling.  Just be careful not to push too hard, too soon

RunningOnSand

Way to go! What a great feeling.  Just be careful not to push too hard, too soon

Famous, and wise words. Thanks for this reminder--I do need it.

RunningOnSand

Just for shits & giggles, I wanted to see the discrepancy in training paces for McMillan vs Daniels. Entering in a 23min 5k (guesstimating),

McMillan gives me:

While Daniels gives me

so to recap, for 400m intervals,

McMillan: 6:34-6:55mm

Daniels: 7:13mm

Threshold (400s--would do mile repeats but Daniels doesn't have that distance on his app):

McMillan: 7:26-7:38

Daniels: 7:51

sdWhiskers

OMFG Windows 10. None of my programs work and IT is ridiculously overwhelmed. I spent 2 hours today on the phone, watching them try to fix stuff and I'm no where different than this morning. I have approximately 30 open tickets with IT and I'm about to lose my shit.

RunningOnSand

OMFG Windows 10. None of my programs work and IT is ridiculously overwhelmed. I spent 2 hours today on the phone, watching them try to fix stuff and I'm no where different than this morning. I have approximately 30 open tickets with IT and I'm about to lose my shit.

I would totally lose my shit if I were you.

bluerun

Super B****

Four dives, two of which were with my niece! This marks the first time a non-diver has said they'd go diving with me and actually DID.

I go home tomorrow and I don't want to. Can't I just stay here instead?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog