Beginners and Beyond

Monday (Read 38 times)

LRB

Blah.

onemile

I limped thru 8

LRB

I limped thru 8

Was your GPS wonky that first mile? It looks like one of my runs.

onemile

Was your GPS wonky that first mile? It looks like one of my runs.

I started running before I got a signal. Plus it usually is whack the first quarter mile due to tall buildings or whatever.  But my hip was hurting a lot for the first quarter-half mile so maybe some of both.

Cyberic

Took the bike to work. I would qualify that as exercise, but barely.

I'll do a short run during lunch time. DP was at 66 last evening when I went to bed. Even Damaris would find it uncomfortable. Ok, ok, I'm exagerating a bit.

delicate flower

'Morning!  I swam before work after blowing it off for a week.  The extra sleep last week sure was nice though.  Easy run tonight in 90 degree temps.  On a positive note, weather for my Saturday HM is looking awesome.

So me, Lauren, and DaveBQ get our Boston notifications this week.  Not gonna lie...it's stressing me out a little.

<3

Runshortii

I was supposed to run 8 yesterday but had a weird 24 hour stomach bug and felt like crap and just couldn't get out the door. I feel better today so I'll run the 8 today and just swap out my 4 mile run this week I think.

do you guys generally go out at your goal MP from the start? Or ease into it and try to negative split? Normally for my HMs I ease into it, but it seems like negative splitting a marathon is generally impossible

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Took the bike to work. I would qualify that as exercise, but barely.

I'll do a short run during lunch time. DP was at 66 last evening when I went to bed. Even Damaris would find it uncomfortable. Ok, ok, I'm exagerating a bit.

66?  No.

Morning!  I have 4 miles tonight.

Damaris

LRB

I was supposed to run 8 yesterday but had a weird 24 hour stomach bug and felt like crap and just couldn't get out the door. I feel better today so I'll run the 8 today and just swap out my 4 mile run this week I think.

do you guys generally go out at your goal MP from the start? Or ease into it and try to negative split? Normally for my HMs I ease into it, but it seems like negative splitting a marathon is generally impossible

I go out at faster than easy pace and try to hit MP by mile 3. I don't necessarily consider that negative splitting however because I've faded in each of the 5 marathons I've completed. A couple worse than others.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My best marathons have been negative splits.  My biggest negative split was 9 minutes.  Oops.

Damaris

onemile

During the race?  yeah, I try to hit MP from the first mile. Usually w/ the adrenaline I don't have a problem with that.  I think it's fine to ease into it though and I have negative splitted a couple marathons, not impossible. It's really all dependant on pacing. If you go out more slowly, you can def speed up later on. Even in the last 10k.

bluerun

Super B****

I kinda tried to do that in my first two... with NYC, I had a course-specific pace band for a negative split, so I just did what it told me to do and had nothing to worry about.  (Aside for, you know... running.)  It's not impossible, it's just impossible if you go out faster than you really should.  Sometimes you just find out the hard way that that's what you did.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

I run at goal pace right from the start and have to hold back to do it.  You should know pretty early on (mile 5-6) if you are off.

<3

Runshortii

I ran 8. It sucked. It was also 89 degrees with no shade so that probably didn't help.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I guess I'll just play it by ear, and you know, try not to blow up in the first 10 miles lol.

Cyberic

I go out straight at MP and aim for an even splits.