Beginners and Beyond

Too Nice TuesDailies (Read 21 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

This morning was just too nice not to get up early and be out the door before 5:30 for a 7 mile run, despite the high pollen count.

As to the reduced field for the NY marathon that was commented on, it turns out they plan to release a steady stream of a few runners every few seconds, rather than launch larger waves of runners.  Even with the "smaller" field of 33,000, it will take hours to get everyone started based on this method.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning. I have 6 and weights tonight.

Fred, I think I would prefer continuous rather than the waves. That wait was horrid, especially when you are there from like 8am and started close to lunch time.

Damaris

delicate flower

Whatcha say there, Johnny Internet!  I ran 7.12 easy miles on the track this morning and nobody else was there until my last lap.  It was nice to stay in lane eight without having to go around walkers.  Planning a bike ride at lunch.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Damaris - I don't know about that.  When I ran NY, it was nice to just chill out in the runners' village knowing when my time to line up would come.  I guess a lot depends on how long you have to be on your feet in line when the trickle the runners onto the course.  With the scheduled corrals, I was only standing for less than 15 minutes before setting off.  A matter of personal preference, I guess.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris - I don't know about that.  When I ran NY, it was nice to just chill out in the runners' village knowing when my time to line up would come.  I guess a lot depends on how long you have to be on your feet in line when the trickle the runners onto the course.  With the scheduled corrals, I was only standing for less than 15 minutes before setting off.  A matter of personal preference, I guess.

I've done the race three times. By hour 2 of sitting and talking to people, all I wanted was a nap or lunch. It's just too long to wait to start (3-4 hours, WTF).

Compare that to Chicago. I get up 1-1.5 hours before the race, cross the street, enter the athlete's village, get in my corral as the first wave is starting and 30 minutes later I'm off.

Damaris

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I've done the race three times. By hour 2 of sitting and talking to people, all I wanted was a nap or lunch. It's just too long to wait to start (3-4 hours, WTF).

Compare that to Chicago. I get up 1-1.5 hours before the race, cross the street, enter the athlete's village, get in my corral as the first wave is starting and 30 minutes later I'm off.

I'm guessing you stayed in the City and got to the start via ferry?  Living in NJ, I arrived by bus and had less than 2 hours to wait, so we definitely had different experiences.  I don't think I'd like a 3-4 hour wait either.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'm guessing you stayed in the City and got to the start via ferry?  Living in NJ, I arrived by bus and had less than 2 hours to wait, so we definitely had different experiences.  I don't think I'd like a 3-4 hour wait either.

Yeah, and if I were to take the bus, the day would be much longer (5am instead of 7). I love the race but it takes so long to start our slow corrals it's nuts.

Damaris

8 combined... the most for me this year so far.
                  5 at gentle Burke Lake as slow as I can go. From the first step  I was feeling a little stringy thing from the trough behind the right knee going up the inner part of the ham...last couple days I’ve been working in that area cockamamie flossing stretch that I created, so I decided I wanted to work that area bit more and go to accotink where the bumps are a bit rougher....so 35 minutes later:

3 dirt bumps, mostly Less slow the rest slow. Feel okay, actually feel better after the 3 dirt bumps than I did after the 5 gentle at Burke Lake.

Actually feel fabulous....time to rock to Billy Ocean

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uxX2gA18grk

Cyberic

URD - Turned off my weekday alarm for yesterday's SRD, and forgot to put it back on yesterday so slept in this morning. 2 days in a row it is, then.

14 miles.

Dave

KCRuns

4 miles outside this morning.  It was a warm, cloudy and very humid 58 degrees, so I was a little surprised to see people in long sleeves, hats and gloves.  And I was shocked to see a guy wearing sunglasses and a balaclava.  He was either a criminal on the run (ha!) or a newer runner who learned a hot lesson today about what not to wear.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

4 miles outside this morning.  It was a warm, cloudy and very humid 58 degrees, so I was a little surprised to see people in long sleeves, hats and gloves.  And I was shocked to see a guy wearing sunglasses and a balaclava.  He was either a criminal on the run (ha!) or a newer runner who learned a hot lesson today about what not to wear.

I've long since given up on understanding how people dress.  My RP and I were out one day in shorts and short sleeves (though I did have gloves on) and we saw someone running in long pants, long sleeves, an insulated vest, and a knit cap.  Yes, sometimes it's a matter of a novice who has not yet learned how to dress (I was that person once, and sometimes still am), but I know the man in question is not a novice runner.  Different people must simply have different thermostats.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've long since given up on understanding how people dress.  My RP and I were out one day in shorts and short sleeves (though I did have gloves on) and we saw someone running in long pants, long sleeves, an insulated vest, and a knit cap.  Yes, sometimes it's a matter of a novice who has not yet learned how to dress (I was that person once, and sometimes still am), but I know the man in question is not a novice runner.  Different people must simply have different thermostats.

At my 50K on Saturday I saw runners in long pants and long sleeve shirts in 76F temps and sunny conditions.  These are not novices.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Just got back from a lovely 24 mile bike ride.  Nice and warm outside.  I like my bike rides hot and my runs cold!  I could have done without the wind, which seemed to fight me in every direction.

14 miles.

On a Tuesday.  DaveP up in here doin' WORK.

Heh, I've seen the same person several time wearing tights and a long sleeve fleece when temps are in the 60's.  That's too much for even me.

<3

Screenshot of my Boston finish line video. A day when it was sunny, humid, and about 70 degrees by that point. Note the woman near the top left—wearing a JACKET at 26.2 miles. (A Boston jacket of course!) Unfathomable. 

Dave