Beginners and Beyond

Afternon Penguin Post (Read 9 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

RD & Cross for me today.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Evening!  Ran 7 on the TM and then did the 22 Min. Hard Corps Cardio 1 and I feel I won't be able to walk well tomorrow. Sore!

Damaris

Zelanie

Hi PAD!  Hope you enjoyed the RD.

Nice workout, D!

I had PT in the morning and then ran the steep trail with the Monday evening group.

I can add one thing to my list of things I never thought I'd do before I started running- I just poked a hole in the top of my toenail to drain the fluid.  It was not nearly as terrifying as it sounded.  Now let's see if it does the trick

GinnyinPA

Z - I've heard of doing that for a bruised toenail, but never had the nerve to do it myself.  Fortunately, the bruised nails I've had never got swollen.  I hope it helped you.

Damaris - good double workout.

PAD - I hope you got some good cross training.

AFM:  I'm still on the road, currently in the Yukon, heading north and west.  This is our first internet access in about 10 days, and it's acting weird.  Garmin uploading doesn't work, and it won't let me into Facebook or Hotmail.  Running has been a bit hit or miss.  I only managed three days last week, for a total of 19 miles. I'm doing 6 mile runs mostly, just because it's not so far I have to worry about getting lost or in too much trouble in a strange area, but it's far enough I feel like I've gotten some real exercise. Today was a hilly run out of the campground, across a long bridge with traffic, then down a very empty gravel road.  Yesterday I ran from a campground to town, partly along the Alaska Highway.  I am very aware of being in grizzly country, when I'm running alone.  So far I haven't met anyone else to run with, though in Yellowknife I saw runners all over town, just not where I was running.

Zelanie

Ginny, that sounds fantastic, and I bet that running is a good way to see things you might otherwise miss!  Hope you're having a fantastic trip.

I wasn't sure I had the nerve to do the toenail either, but I found a metal pokey thing in the bathroom drawer, so it didn't seem as terrifying as a paper clip.  It actually isn't bad at all- you don't have to go through any of the skin- just get a hole in the nail.  So I just pushed very, very slowly, and as soon as I felt anything, took it out.  And a bunch of fluid came out with it.  So strange!  But I don't know if that was enough to relieve the pressure.  It's been hurting since I took a walk right after my run on Friday.