Beginners and Beyond

Hansons Half-Marathon Method (Read 45 times)

Cyberic

It just came out in paperback. I did not even know that book existed. Did anyone read it? I have read and trained by their marathon method, is this book worth the buy?

MTA: amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/Hansons-Half-Marathon-Method-Your-Best/dp/1937715191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449427702&sr=8-1&keywords=hansons+half-marathon+method

onemile

Just came out... in April of 2014.  

Cyberic

Just came out... in April of 2014.  

You can say anything to me, I'll still like you 

onemile

You can say anything to me, I'll still like you 

Aww, in that case, if you PM me your email address, I can send you an excel version of the Advanced HM plan.  I don't have the book but someone I know put it in a spreadsheet.

Cyberic

Thanks for the offer. PMed you.

DavePNW

Thanks for the offer. PMed you.

+1, if the offer is still valid.

Dave

onemile

+1, if the offer is still valid.

The offer wasn't for you.

Kidding, sent to both of you.

Honestly the plan is very similar to their marathon plan.  You have intervals + a pace run each week. Same Tuesday/Thursday format for workouts.  The pace is at HMP and goes up to 6 miles straight.  The intervals are speed and then some longer ones at 10k pace (so..hmp-10ish ha).  From what I read, the information in the book is similar to the Marathon book.

Cyberic

Honestly the plan is very similar to their marathon plan.  

Thanks. Yeah, the plans are very similar. It makes sense that they would follow the same philosophy. Pretty much every day is similar, including the Tuesday workouts.

The differences I see are these:

• Less total mileage
                  • On Thursdays, you run at HMP instead of MP. (I wonder how 6 miles at HMP compares to 10 miles at MP, effort wise. )
                  • Although the Sunday long runs peak at 15 instead of 16, there is no "off week" every other week as is the case in the marathon plan.
                  Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have the book and it has very solid plans, IMO.  If you need it and onemile does not give it to you, PM me. 

Damaris

onemile

• (I wonder how 6 miles at HMP compares to 10 miles at MP, effort wise. )

I would think much harder.

I think the 2nd edition of the Marathon book comes out soon, keep seeing it on the FB page.

DavePNW

I wonder how 6 miles at HMP compares to 10 miles at MP, effort wise. 

I agree with onemile, I'd think much harder. I've been trying their normal "strength" workout, 3x2 and 2x3, targeting HMP instead of MP-10 (so, about MP-25 actually). And it's really hard, I struggle to hit that pace. So without the recoveries: ha.

Dave

Cyberic

I would think much harder.

Hmmm. And how fast is HMP? Like 10-12 seconds per mile faster than MP?

It'll have to wait, but I might just give their plan a shot sometime.

Cyberic

I agree with onemile, I'd think much harder. I've been trying their normal "strength" workout, 3x2 and 2x3, targeting HMP instead of MP-10 (so, about MP-25 actually). And it's really hard, I struggle to hit that pace. So without the recoveries: ha.

You think HMP is MP - 25 ??? 

My problem is that since I race so little, I have no idea anymore how fast I can run distances other than a 5k or a marathon.

onemile

You think HMP is MP - 25 ??? 

My problem is that since I race so little, I have no idea anymore how fast I can run distances other than a 5k or a marathon.

McMillan seems to think HMP + 22 seconds.

In reality, this time was 28 seconds (HMP 7:03 / MP 7:31) and that's about as good as I can do.

I am very confident you can run a half faster than that.