Beginners and Beyond

So Long Sundailies (Read 29 times)

DavePNW

Nice job onemile. Running 20 miles at an easy pace is enough for me 

+1.

Congrats on your first 20! That's a big deal.

Dave

Runshortii

+1.

Congrats on your first 20! That's a big deal.

I almost feel like a real marathon runner in training now 

Congrats on your 10k btw! Hills can be a real bitch. I think 10Ks are hard. I feel like they hurt just as much as 5ks and are twice as long.

onemile

Nice job onemile. Running 20 miles at an easy pace is enough for me 

In a lot of ways, 20 miles at an easy pace is harder. Time seems to pass much faster when you have it broken up into different segments like that and having a faster average pace, it actually does take a lot less time.

workinprogress11

Looks more like a week's worth of running for some of us.

It was a week's worth for me.  I had my first 20 mile week since 2016.  Very nice job, Onemile.  Congrats to the racers too and to D for your 12 miles.

Runshortii

Question for you experienced marathoners..The higdon intermediate 2 plan has a cutback week now every other week from 50 to 34 miles. Is that too much? I know higdon has worked for plenty of first timers so I guess it would be fine...I've been feeling good other than tired for a day or two after my longer runs...so I was thinking if next week I should try to get closer to 40 overall mileage wise? I would still keep the LR between 12-14. Or maybe I should just keep it at 34-35 miles and throw in some intensity. I dunno.

DavePNW

Question for you experienced marathoners..The higdon intermediate 2 plan has a cutback week now every other week from 50 to 34 miles. Is that too much? I know higdon has worked for plenty of first timers so I guess it would be fine...I've been feeling good other than tired for a day or two after my longer runs...so I was thinking if next week I should try to get closer to 40 overall mileage wise? I would still keep the LR between 12-14. Or maybe I should just keep it at 34-35 miles and throw in some intensity. I dunno.

Probably NBD if you add some easy miles, but as a first-timer, I'd suggest to just follow the plan as written. Staying healthy & being able to nail your hard workouts are generally more important.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Probably NBD if you add some easy miles, but as a first-timer, I'd suggest to just follow the plan as written. Staying healthy & being able to nail your hard workouts are generally more important.

I agree.  Stick to the plan.  As a noob, it's better to get to the starting line a little undertrained than a little overtrained.  Start tweaking things when you're a little more experienced and know what you can handle.  Those 50 mile weeks might feel ok now but that are going to start to add up to some cumulative fatigue.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I agree.  Stick to the plan.  As a noob, it's better to get to the starting line a little undertrained than a little overtrained.  Start tweaking things when you're a little more experienced and know what you can handle.  Those 50 mile weeks might feel ok now but that are going to start to add up to some cumulative fatigue.

Definitely not an expert, but this.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Keep to the plan, especially if this is your first time running this kind of mileage.  Fatigue can creep up on you if you aren't careful and it can then take more than just a cutback week to recover.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Runshortii

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. What would I do without this forum?  (Besides over train and get injured)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yeah, I would do the plan as written, but if you want to do some extra easy miles, I'd say they will be OK as well.  But nothing to lose by following the plan as written.

Got my plan from my coach and also talked to her and asked for an extra day this week.  Patella is doing well, so I'll do an extra run tomorrow (short miles).  That should keep me from killing my husband as well.

Damaris