Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES; A little bit of everything, except sun (Read 32 times)

No more marathons

Zoo Fun Run 2-miler last night at 6:30 pm.  Ended up with 21:09 time and a nice social event afterwards with a couple of beers.   Weather for Texas was pretty sweet, 76 degrees, low humidity, beautiful evening, nice run over the trails of a local park.

Today after work will run...somewhere.    Put in about 3 - 4 miles.

Makes it all worthwhile.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

This week is turning out to be one of my more intense (read:  faster overall pace) for quite some time.

Today's schedule called for 3 X 10 minutes with 90 second recovery.

First 10 minutes at marathon pace (mcmillan says 8:10 based on last race)

Second 10 at HM pace (7:45)

Final 10 at 10K pace (7:20)

Just for chuckles I used an age graded calculator to see what those pace would have been for my 32 year old self.

They translate to 6:23, 6:04, and 5:44.  The only one of those I actually hit back in 1984 was the 10K.

Anyway, hit  8:04, 7:42, and 7:15.  The first two were not too difficult, but the last one took some concentration.  And I had to pick it up the final 5 minutes to bring it in line.

He's a leaker!

Cyberic

I find that I mostly hit a slightly faster pace than my target - given that I'd go for the 20:30 but expect 20:00  Smile

I really don't know if that's a good thing or not. I do/did/will do both:

• In certain periods I find it important to hit the paces, and not go faster as it is wasted effort. That's what the books I read say.
        • But lately I've been doing my workouts as fast as I could, as long as I did them well (late reps as fast as the early ones). My thinking is that since I don't race often, if I wait for a race to reassess my fitness and change my paces, I might be lagging behind.

Can't say I see or feel a difference in effectiveness. Today I was holding myself back not to run by feel, but by pace, to have gas left in the tank for the 200s.

No more marathons

I really don't know if that's a good thing or not. I do/did/will do both:

• In certain periods I find it important to hit the paces, and not go faster as it is wasted effort.
          • 1.  That's what the books I read say.
          • But lately I've been doing my workouts as fast as I could, as long as I did them well
          • 2.  (late reps as fast as the early ones). My thinking is that since I don't race often, if I wait for a race to reassess my fitness and change my paces, I might be lagging behind.

Can't say I see or feel a difference in effectiveness. Today I was holding myself back not to run by feel, but by pace, to have gas left in the tank for the 200s.

1.  That makes sense - wish I could follow that.  Just like long runs should be easy - or a couple minutes per mile slower than marathon pace.  Nope - can't do that.

2. I usually start out trying to hit close to pace for the early reps, and then make each set just a little faster, with the last set being the fastest.  Don't know if that's good or not - like you said - may just be wasted effort.  Maybe I'll ask the coach.

He's a leaker!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am going to leave today at 7 and run the extra miles on Saturday.  It's still 91F, hubby is currently on the noisy TM and Saturday looks better for weather.  So, a drink, por favor.

Damaris

DavePNW

Rode the ferry from CT to LI in thunderstorms & 25-30mph winds. That was one rough fucking ride. Anyway, that weather was enough to send me to the treadmill; 5 miles. Of course now that I'm done, it looks kind of nice out. 

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Rode the ferry from CT to LI in thunderstorms & 25-30mph winds. That was one rough fucking ride. Anyway, that weather was enough to send me to the treadmill; 5 miles. Of course now that I'm done, it looks kind of nice out. 

It always does....

Damaris

LRB

Rode the ferry from CT to LI in thunderstorms & 25-30mph winds. That was one rough fucking ride.

My scaredy cat ass would still take it over air turbulence. I'm a chicken in the air. lol

DavePNW

My scaredy cat ass would still take it over air turbulence. I'm a chicken in the air. lol

Then you would have been curled up in a little ball on my flight home last week.

Dave

LRB

Then you would have been curled up in a little ball on my flight home last week.

lmao

I am nowhere near experienced a flyer as you, but I absolutely loathe flying over the Rockies, ugh. The plane just jumps around like it's driving over cobblestones and shit.

Baboon

delicate flower

Holy shit you are all over the damn map.  *logstalk* the hotel you stayed in the other day is right across the street from my office.  I was up 91 in Holyoke though.

<3

Baboon

delicate flower

Oh, 60 minutes on the bike trainer.  Hard workout and I now I has tireds.

<3

onemile

I ran 8

Half Crazy K 2.0

3.7 easy.

DavePNW, I'd be puking, I don't think there's enough Dramamine that would make me feel ok on rough water.

DavePNW

Holy shit you are all over the damn map.  *logstalk* the hotel you stayed in the other day is right across the street from my office.  I was up 91 in Holyoke though.

Oski pointed that out to me on Strava. I decided to get my run in rather than try to arrange an FE; I figured you'd understand. And turns out you weren't there anyway. I knew you were in Spfld, but didn't know where; if I may say, you work in a somewhat unsavory area. You'd have to be stupid to, say, go out running alone at night around there. We have a plant in Agawam. In the past I've stayed at the Marriott or Sheraton, on the slightly nicer side of downtown. But La Quinta was half the price, so I guess you get what you pay for. I would add - I stayed in downtown Bridgeport last night, and I'd say it's even seedier than Springfield.

Dave