Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies (Read 34 times)

Cyberic

I ran 8. And then I had 8 minutes to shower, change and get back to my desk 

Did you manage to wash every little spot?

DavePNW

I’ve returned shoes. Never to RW, only to the Brooks physical store. First time it was when a new release of the Ravenna was giving me a pain on the top of my foot. I actually put 50 miles on them before I made the connection from the pain to the shoe - I thought it was just some injury I was getting. Took them to the store (even though I had bought them online) and traded for the newest release (mine were an old model when I bought them). Felt OK in the store, but after a couple runs outside I realized they had the same problem. Took those back and traded in for the Ghost, and never looked back. Did this another time - when I was first shopping for race shoes, I loved the Hyperion in the store. But took them out for a run and realized they were going to be too tight in the toebox. Traded them in for the Asteria, which I have been wearing since.

I don’t feel bad. Manufacturers have these policies to help develop brand loyalty. They are betting that they gain more revenue from new/repeat customers than they lose by having to re-sell returned shoes at deep discount, or not at all. Anything you buy new is going to be new, and not a customer return.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I’ve returned shoes. Never to RW, only to the Brooks physical store. First time it was when a new release of the Ravenna was giving me a pain on the top of my foot. I actually put 50 miles on them before I made the connection from the pain to the shoe - I thought it was just some injury I was getting. Took them to the store (even though I had bought them online) and traded for the newest release (mine were an old model when I bought them). Felt OK in the store, but after a couple runs outside I realized they had the same problem. Took those back and traded in for the Ghost, and never looked back. Did this another time - when I was first shopping for race shoes, I loved the Hyperion in the store. But took them out for a run and realized they were going to be too tight in the toebox. Traded them in for the Asteria, which I have been wearing since.

I don’t feel bad. Manufacturers have these policies to help develop brand loyalty. They are betting that they gain more revenue from new/repeat customers than they lose by having to re-sell returned shoes at deep discount, or not at all. Anything you buy new is going to be new, and not a customer return.

You live near a Brooks store? Like the Brand name company, not just a shoe store??? Lucky fucker lol

I decided to check and make sure that I am in fact registered for the Run with the Yeti Half this Saturday, Chronotrack did not show it in my upcoming events so I am registering right this fucking minute!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Did you manage to wash every little spot?

No   Thankfully my afternoon meetings are skype 

DavePNW

And the last time I bought from a local running store in person, I took 2-3 pairs outside and ran up and down the sidewalk before deciding on a pair at the insistence of the salesperson.

Yeah some places make you stick to their treadmill, but some let you take them around the block. I imagine those do get re-sold as new though. I was at a LRS here and trying to decide which size I needed. Salesperson told me to go outside and run downhill, and see if my toes hit the front. I ended up with the larger size because of this, but then the heel felt loose. They taught me how to tie them for a better fit. That’s how you earn customer loyalty & word of mouth publicity. Super Jock & Jill’s.

Dave

DavePNW

You live near a Brooks store? Like the Brand name company, not just a shoe store??? Lucky fucker lol

Yep. The company is based in Seattle, and this is literally the store at their headquarters building. Even better, there is a Brooks Outlet store here, where you can sometimes get huge discounts.

Dave

LRB

I ran 8. And then I had 8 minutes to shower, change and get back to my desk 

I've done that a few times. The soap in the ear while sitting at my desk is always fun.

onemile

I've done that a few times. The soap in the ear while sitting at my desk is always fun.

worth it to not have to run tonight. I knew it would be a squeeze today with 4 meetings.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah some places make you stick to their treadmill, but some let you take them around the block. I imagine those do get re-sold as new though. I was at a LRS here and trying to decide which size I needed. Salesperson told me to go outside and run downhill, and see if my toes hit the front. I ended up with the larger size because of this, but then the heel felt loose. They taught me how to tie them for a better fit. That’s how you earn customer loyalty & word of mouth publicity. Super Jock & Jill’s.

Yeah, the guy at the LRS that suggested the Guide ISOs showed me how to do a hilltop tie that would keep my heel from slipping forward while not putting pressure on the tops of my feet.... I am so freaking grateful for this!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

KCRuns

You might be the only person I know that takes advantage of trying shoes out and sending them back. I'm not judging you at all and think it's great that you're able to take advantage of the service, but I can just never bring myself to do it.

I'm curious, do others on here send shoes back too? Maybe I'm missing out!

Thanks to people like you who can't bring themselves to send them back, I'm able to score some great deals on ebay for shoes with 10-15 miles on them that just didn't fit that person right.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Yeah, the guy at the LRS that suggested the Guide ISOs showed me how to do a hilltop tie that would keep my heel from slipping forward while not putting pressure on the tops of my feet.... I am so freaking grateful for this!

Hope you didn't feel attacked by that - really just meant it as a question but probably should have asked it differently.

Our LRS sends you outside to run also, and I do assume those shoes are resold as new (no problem with that here). I also work in the liquidation industry, so am very familiar with shoe loads that are returns. Returns do find a good home, and often help people who can't manage to afford the regular price.

As for me personally, not wanting to inconvenience other people, to the point of negatively impacting myself, is a bit of personality flaw of mine. I assume that is part of what makes me hesitate.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

bluerun

Super B****

I return shoes. But most of the time I know before I've even run in them that they're not going to work for me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Right now I just can't afford not to return or exchange a $120.00 pair of shoes.

Hell I have 3 pairs of Richocets that I have no idea what I'm going to do with, maybe donate them 🤷‍♀️

PRs

From the Internet.

Who is signing up for 2020 in 2020?

Whoops late but I will be signing up again! Will probably even volunteer as captain wherever I get placed unless 2 other brave souls are already more enthused about the job, lol. My team had a string of bad luck this year - I like the rule change for goal mileage, should help with some of the issues we had re: goals.

RunningOnSand

Excited for both of you and expecting some nice PRs. Hope there is good tracking available.

+1