Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #262 (Read 25 times)

DavePNW

That is utter stupidity.

Yeah—does this mean there is a ban on public gatherings of >250 people, and they consider the entire length of the course to be a single location? 

Dave

Cyberic

The numbers have been flaring up lately, so I kind of expected the cancellation, and I also knew all along that it might get cancelled. 2.5 weeks in advance is tough, but I still expected it. What I find stupid is the reason given. It is a point to point, than spans 26.2 miles. About 26 of those 26.2 miles are the rail trail "P'tit Train du Nord", which is open right now. I'm pretty sure at this moment, there are more than 250 people on that rail trail over the 26 miles. People biking, running, walking their dogs, and so on. I don't agree with the rule, you know? It doesn't make sense.

But whatever. I'll find something else to do

onemile

time trial?

sdWhiskers

The numbers have been flaring up lately, so I kind of expected the cancellation, and I also knew all along that it might get cancelled. 2.5 weeks in advance is tough, but I still expected it. What I find stupid is the reason given. It is a point to point, than spans 26.2 miles. About 26 of those 26.2 miles are the rail trail "P'tit Train du Nord", which is open right now. I'm pretty sure at this moment, there are more than 250 people on that rail trail over the 26 miles. People biking, running, walking their dogs, and so on. I don't agree with the rule, you know? It doesn't make sense.

If this reasoning was applied to other places, the entire outside world of ...everywhere... would be closed (26 miles of parks, beaches, etc) 

LRB

Friday, September 18, 2020

Hello dear runners

So sorry to read that man. Awful. Just plain awful.

LRB

You should express this exact sentiment to the race director and ask for an explanation.

onemile

You should express this exact sentiment to the race director and ask for an explanation.

if only it would change the outcome

DavePNW

It was not a decision by the RD, it was by city or provincial government. Good luck getting a logical explanation for anything from those clowns.

Dave

LRB

LRB, I think I missed the original post about your knee. I hope it heals quickly!

I did 5.25 today. Another cool day, and very windy. Winds were 20mph at times, I gave up running a few times when the headwind got too strong.

Thanks. No biggie. It was buried in a post of drivel as most of mine are.

LRB

I am finally close enough to mine that I can look at that number without cringing. I should do the smart thing today and take a rest day because my back is really not happy. I did a stretching dvd earlier this week & it did not agree with me.

I lapped mine right out of the gate then lapped it 10 more times...and then my race got canceled...

LRB

It was not a decision by the RD, it was by city or provincial government. Good luck getting a logical explanation for anything from those clowns.

Ah.

LRB

if only it would change the outcome

True. Sometimes just typing what you feel helps which he's already done so it's done.

Cyberic

Exactly. The whole reason why it was still on is exactly because it is a point to point. The race director had managed to make them realize it was 3 sites: the marathon start, the hm start, and the finish line. With a very tight  staggered start strategy, he was guaranteeing no more than 250 people at any time at any of the sites. And now, all of a suddent, it's one big site. So the race director is probably more shocked than I am.

Cyberic

Don't know what I'll do yet. There are 2 HM options available: 1 official with staggered start (might get cancelled), and one is not official, but measured by one of the few official course measurers in Montreal, with a Jones counter. That one will happen. But it's a TT on a measured course. Or maybe I'll do nothing.

Cyberic

Yeah—does this mean there is a ban on public gatherings of >250 people, and they consider the entire length of the course to be a single location? 

Yup!