Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES January 1, 2016 (Read 45 times)

No more marathons

Like DavePNW -  my frugal nature is always competing with my fear of commitment - and commitment usually wins - so no early registrations.  Don't have any real goal races anyway.

Got my first race of the year in - a track mile with our local running club.

Pacing was pretty bad with a 90 second first quarter and then the next half closer to 6:40 pace and the last quarter back around 6 - finished with a 6:24.  I'll take that as OK for a mile with no specific training.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I did all my early race registering on Black Friday. My bargain hunting side won over my fear of commitment side. I got 50% off the Atlantic City April Fool's half, so if the weather sucks, I am only out $40. Now I just need to wait for the spring promos from Resorts to see if DH or I can get a free room. I also registered for a local half 3 weeks later, also with a discount code. For all other races, I tend to wait until the last possible minute to register.

I went to bed at 10:30, but my neighbors made sure to let us know when midnight hit. Lots of people made the trip up to PA to buy fireworks that are illegal here, but not really enforced. Ugh.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 10 miles tonight.  TM, since it's hot.

I signed up last night for Monumental.  That's it for today's registrations...I think.

Damaris

Cyberic

Like DavePNW -  my frugal nature is always competing with my fear of commitment - and commitment usually wins - so no early registrations.  Don't have any real goal races anyway.

Pacing was pretty bad with a 90 second first quarter and then the next half closer to 6:40 pace and the last quarter back around 6 - finished with a 6:24.  I'll take that as OK for a mile with no specific training.

Congrats on the mile race!

Zelanie

Did the group NYE trail run- 3.5 miles up, up, up to the top of a hill in 20-some degree weather:

From the top we could see the whole town and the fireworks below, and somebody brought sparkling wine.  We put all our headlamps out to light the shot.

Then it was back down the hill for the first miles of 2016!

I'm heading off in a bit to help out at the club's free 2K/5K.  I may also jog the course if there is time.  Gotta stay ahead of that pace bunny!

DavePNW

Congrats! I'd have no clue how to race a mile, other than try to run as fast as humanly possible, then die.

Dave

Ric-G

Happy New Year!

So I'm running a planned 5 miles about 45 minutes ago when I heard a plane or something overhead. Looked up to see the stealth at cruising speed. That was unexpected but totally cool. Great way to start the year. And I finished the 5 miles. Have a wonderful day everyone. nice run there zel.

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

I'll take that as OK for a mile with no specific training.

Indeed. Nice way to start the year.

LRB

Congrats! I'd have no clue how to race a mile, other than try to run as fast as humanly possible, then die.

Emphasis on the dying part. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats to our racers!

Damaris

LRB

Happy New Year!

So I'm running a planned 5 miles about 45 minutes ago when I heard a plane or something overhead. Looked up to see the stealth at cruising speed. That was unexpected but totally cool. Great way to start the year. And I finished the 5 miles. Have a wonderful day everyone. nice run there zel.

Way cool! Good thing he didn't shoot back. lol

LRB

Did the group NYE trail run- 3.5 miles up, up, up to the top of a hill in 20-some degree weather:

I think I would benefit from running up that thing.

I think I would break into a million pieces running down that thing!

Ric-G

Way cool! Good thing he didn't shoot back. lol

Yes, I wouldn't want to face that thing in a bar fight...

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

I did all my early race registering on Black Friday. My bargain hunting side won over my fear of commitment side. I got 50% off the Atlantic City April Fool's half, so if the weather sucks, I am only out $40. Now I just need to wait for the spring promos from Resorts to see if DH or I can get a free room. I also registered for a local half 3 weeks later, also with a discount code. For all other races, I tend to wait until the last possible minute to register.

I went to bed at 10:30, but my neighbors made sure to let us know when midnight hit. Lots of people made the trip up to PA to buy fireworks that are illegal here, but not really enforced. Ugh.

In the case of Detroit, there are a limited number of spots available on January 1 for $65.00 (it used to be anyway, I'm not sure what it is this year), versus its highest cost in the summer of $125.00. Even a procrastinator such as myself (I usually register at the race right before my warm-up jog) can't past that up. Worse case, I'm out of 65 bucks. Best case, I save 60. It's always been worth it to me. YMMV.

Your neighbors deserve an apple pie made with sour apples.

LRB

I was in bed before 10:00 last night. We didn't really do anything. Couple really well-fought CFB semifinal games last night. FFS.

I would only register on Jan 1st if the race was on Jan 2nd. I generally pay no attention to early-registration discounts; my cheapness is outweighed by my fear of commitment.

5k later.

Your lack of commitment almost cost you a shot at running a marathon at all one of those years, SO DON'T WAIT TOO LATE.