Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Paint the Parkway Pink Breast Cancer 5K (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on October 17, 2015, this was the Big 5-0 for the year, my 50th race done in 2015.Paint The Parkway Pink is a breast cancer awareness event held by North Central Baptist Hospital near Stone Oak Parkway in San Antonio.  Reagan High School, adjacent to the hospital, kindly offers its campus grounds for the start and finish of the 5K.  Beautiful day for it too, low humidity, low dewpoint, and a temp at start time of around 68 degrees.  Start time of 9:15 a.m., with  races for kids held before the main start, and lots of activities, vendor/sponsor booths, etc.   There were a few hundred participants, runners and walkers.  I ended up with a finish time of 37-something, which was good enough for 1st in my age group division of 60 - 69;  I think there were only 3 in my age division, lol.  Pretty slow for a 5K for me - I usually finish in around 33 - 34 minutes; but I forgot my darn energy gel for this race - at my slow pace, I take one a bit before the race and it usually 'kicks in' for me for the back half of the event - so I was 'not feeling it' like I usually do for the back half of the race.  Oh well, it's all good, and I just said heck with it and took more photos than I usually do. I chose to do this event because my supervisor and friend at work, Sarah, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, had her surgery and is recovering.  So the medal is a bonus, which I will give to Sarah, along with one of the pink race shirts I got for her.

BEFORE THE START

With a 9:15 a.m. start, it was nice to sleep in a bit.  Arrived at the race festivities with about 40 minutes to go to start time and wandered around taking some photos.

Welcome to Paint The Parkway Pink

photo 009_zps8rjragcr.jpg

Getting the start/finish line ready

photo 017_zpspaadyxzg.jpg

Thank you, North Central Baptist Hospital for hosting...and giving us indoor restroom  facilities in The Atrium

photo 014_zpsj0bgewuf.jpg

photo 015_zpsxnptdweo.jpg

This was an area where breast cancer survivors and their family members could relax a bit pre-and-post race

photo 019_zpsludz1uvc.jpg

Our lovely MC who did a great job

photo 020_zpswelth7mv.jpg

Some interesting characters there...

photo 006_zpspqwfxljb.jpg

photo 007_zpsahd2k0hs.jpg

photo 008_zpsvduxzwic.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, etc.

photo 001_zpslrcupsbs.jpg

photo 002_zpsj3nlzvzy.jpg

photo 004_zpswxno0nai.jpg

photo 005_zpsfz0dyve0.jpg

photo 010_zpsaenh1ydd.jpg

photo 011_zpspahvxwao.jpg

photo 012_zpsb5numbuy.jpg

photo 013_zpsoxlfzyuf.jpg

photo 016_zpsvbkrjo88.jpg

photo 018_zpszgjzfuc1.jpg

photo 021_zpsdtbqizkl.jpg

photo 022_zpsgn8xcpog.jpg

photo 023_zpskd1cw3nj.jpg

photo 024_zpsgtgihx29.jpg

Getting ready to start

photo 025_zpswefeduzi.jpg

Behind me in the start chute

photo 026_zps3hqexbfy.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start was at nearby Reagan High School.  We went out of of the school gates into an adjacent neighborhood, went to a turn-around point, and then back the way we came, finishing back at Reagan High School.   The course was a bit hilly in places, as you can see from the photos.

photo 027_zpsxixzf3wj.jpg

photo 028_zpsuqxs0hrc.jpg

photo 029_zpse90iv727.jpg

photo 030_zpsnhkpgs8o.jpg

photo 031_zpsdu8qf4as.jpg

Downhill on the way out; of course on the way back we had to climb up it.

photo 032_zpsbfe9cxxc.jpg

photo 033_zpstluo9peb.jpg

I have made the turn-around now and am heading back.  People on the left are heading to the turn-around

photo 034_zpsnc2bj00w.jpg

photo 035_zpsdlhrfypg.jpg

photo 036_zps0g0pzqqj.jpg

This was a downhill for us to the turn-round; uphill on the way back

photo 038_zpsrnpa751m.jpg

photo 039_zpsvcmn2cek.jpg

photo 040_zpsy24aocrk.jpg

photo 041_zpsvrpxstdp.jpg

photo 042_zpsgzksgokt.jpg

This was downhill going back.....uphill going to the turn-around....it was a TWO-PART hill...on the way to the turn-round point when we crested this hill, there was another little uphill part waiting for us after the crest;  the person who laid out this course for us obviously has a warped sense of humor.     These next couple of photos, I'm on the right side of the yellow stripe.

photo 043_zpszytyvom3.jpg

Umm, yeah..this was fun going out...

photo 044_zpscccp2o6d.jpg

photo 045_zpsn7r6abjt.jpg

Yeah, as you can see, looking behind me, we had that last hill to climb - that was the downhill in the first photos - before we were finished with hills

photo 047_zpsx9xgkn06.jpg

photo 048_zpsj3qa02hm.jpg

photo 049_zpshrt5rp1v.jpg

Whew...big hills over, finally....about a half mile to go to the finish, maybe just a tad more, and we had just a very small down incline before going back onto the Reagan High School campus..

photo 046_zpsxjjsz68x.jpg

Some of the great on-course volunteers that were out there for us

photo 050_zpsu33ok7up.jpg

photo 051_zpstergmr97.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

This gentleman and I were in proximity of each other for most of the course.  We finished almost together - me coming in about a minute behind him.   He gives a nice view, too, of the tech-tee race shirt participants got.  For breast cancer survivor participants, their shirts  had SURVIVOR also printed on the shirt.

photo 052_zpsqwof8meh.jpg

Survivors and their family members post-race in their own area...they also got some very nice post-race food and other goodies...well earned too after what they've all had to deal with...

photo 069_zpsiiemyung.jpg

Some of the "Happy Finishers", supporters, volunteers, vendors, etc.

photo 053_zpsj5oq1xcw.jpg

photo 054_zps6jvji8zg.jpg

photo 055_zpsz4rf6ip8.jpg

photo 056_zpsqgyialpv.jpg

photo 059_zpsgcaz1lvj.jpg

photo 061_zpstwjvl2xl.jpg

photo 062_zpseprgsmom.jpg

photo 063_zpsnulfekcv.jpg

photo 064_zpst8lkf9lo.jpg

photo 066_zpsstewz6f4.jpg

photo 067_zpswlmckygv.jpg

photo 068_zpsaa3rg6bx.jpg

photo 078_zpsre0fzxna.jpg

photo 070_zpszfei7mpc.jpg

photo 071_zpslfbklrlx.jpg

photo 072_zpshovr0fhe.jpg

photo 073_zpszgrarivd.jpg

photo 074_zpse5r5bbwx.jpg

photo 075_zpsjv3sskbb.jpg

photo 076_zpsj8iezav7.jpg

photo 077_zpslczkkymb.jpg

photo 079_zps6gzf7ks8.jpg

photo 086_zpskelmdbbp.jpg

Some of the age group winners

My speedy running friend, Tony, got a medal

photo 080_zpstbwjgkqm.jpg

I managed to get one too, even at my slow pace;  my strategy:  outlive the competition...

photo 081_zpsatsn6mvc.jpg

photo 082_zpscwticjif.jpg

This guy must've lived in England for a bit - as I did too, for 4 years; I can tell cuz of his shirt, which is a play on the underground/tube railway system  over there, which, every time you got on or off the train, there would be a loudspeaker telling you "Mind The Gap"...lol.

photo 083_zpsdptkb0le.jpg

photo 084_zpskk9og47t.jpg

photo 085_zpshfaxhxck.jpg

EPILOG

This is the 2nd time I've done this event.  Always and enjoyable event with lots of stuff going on, lots of post-race goodies, nice course - even with the hills - lots of nice people attending, activities for the kids there, INDOOR restroom facilities (always nice at a race not to have to use a port-a-potty), nicely designed race shirts for the cause, and nice medals.  Most certainly would recommend this one to my fellow runners, run-walkers, walkers.

Next up for me:  Race 51:  Pink Heals 5K in San Marcos on Sep 18, 2015.  Yep, this is a double race weekend for me.   Good thing for me that my running pace is so slow that I can do these back-to-back events. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun and worthwhile event.  Did the ladies in costume run too?  Good luck tomorrow.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Another great RR with lots of great pictures.  Thanks Scotty!

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

Great cause, nice report. Next time wear pink!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Great cause, nice report. Next time wear pink!

I had on pink underwear...  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I had on pink underwear...  Wink

Oh, well in that case.

music_girl117

Very cool of you to give your medal to your friend with breast cancer! *thumbs up*  Nice report as always Scotty.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)